Cycle World Review BMW C600-650GT

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Tacoma, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Tacoma

Tacoma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cycle World , June 2012 review, (page 46) on the 2013 BMW C650GT and the C600 Sport Maxi Scooter
    What Cycle World left out of the story: They stated that its simular to the Suzuki 650 Burgman and the Honda DN-01, but looking at the BMW C600 Sport model anybody can see its almost an exact copy of the Yamaha Tmax!
    Cycle World also said: BMW says the development of the its C650GT and C600 Sport was done ENTIRELY IN-HOUSE. Both models will be manufactured in Berlin.
    What they don't tell you is the engines are made by Kymco in Taiwan,,, so thats an entirely in-house?
    BMW wants me to spend $12K for a scooter with a Kymco engine? Why don't I spend half that much for a Kymco Scooter?
  2. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

People may . .

[​IMG]

like . .

[​IMG]

a Grand Dink, or (shucks) . .

[​IMG]

just any New Dink . . if they desire . . but

[​IMG]

. . we'll just take MyRoad and we'll . .

[​IMG]

. . go Downtown, . .

[​IMG]

. . Downtown, where all the lights are . .

[​IMG]

. . bright and Xciting . . .

[​IMG]

. . we'll have vitality, and go . .

[​IMG]

. . Downtown . .

[​IMG]

. . we'll go Downtown, where its all waiting . .

[​IMG] . . . . . . . for you!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

PETULA CLARK
    "Downtown"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[​IMG][​IMG]
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    You obviously are not getting it!

Will your Kymco say BMW on it? There, that's the reason. :deal :lol3
  4. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kymco builds the engine. It does other engines for BMW, too. And some of the BMW designed engines are finding their way into Kymco product, such as ATV's.

It's a 100% BMW scooter. They've just sent the tooling to Kymco to let them handle the build, as Kymco are known for building engines, and what not. But just because Kymco workers manufacture an engine in Taiwan does not make it a Kymco engine, much less the scoots Kymco scoots
  5. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW is all about the class and the luxury it brings to people, who can afford it, and they will get the big satisfaction of having that LOGO on what they drive. It is like the HD brand, it is all about the brand and 2nd is about the performance of the machine.

I like both brands and I think it different time I will one of each, first the Kymko for economical and practical reasons, then when I am wealthy of win the ruffle the BMW.

I like the new bmw scooters, when I saw then in the IMS show in Long Beach last december they look nice, how ever they did not had a price tag and that made it difficult to compare them with Suzuki and Yamaha.. and then I remember, they are not the same, Japan INc. lacks the European appeal, so comparison was over for me.

Just my 2 cents

Damasovi
  6. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    There is a reason the Burgman is the gold standard against which others are measured. There's also a reason few people have heard of the T-Max.
  7. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    You're not incorrect. And I say that as a (former, as of next Monday) BMW owner.

There's the cachet of the brand, as you note. But behind that, is (still) the engineering that gave it that status. The BMW is a ten-tenths machine; unlike so many cycles, the equipment isn't toylike or shoddy. Everything works; works WELL; is thought-out. Not always to conclusions I would have reached (turn signals, for instance) but thought-out.

There's no denying the joy, in winding such a machine up on an empty road; or sling-shotting it through S-curves or switchbacks. But there's ALSO no denying the COST and dedication needed to keep such a machine maintained.

It just so happens...I decided, I'm too old to be throwing the leg over the tippy-tall GS; and I've become too poor to afford a toy I can't much play with. So I'm finding another way...

...but my memories of the BMW bike are not contemptuous. Not at all...I'd do it again.
  8. rv-rick

rv-rick Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could always buy a few BMW decals. :rofl
  9. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    I've never been a big fan of Brand Names.

Never understood why Harley guys need the Magic Brand all over all their clothes...even their cars and trucks...bath towels...:huh

I didn't seek status from the brand. I was impressed with the design...the Boxer engine; shaft drive. A gearbox with a solid feel. A dry clutch.

Honda used to have some engineering; with their CX500s and in-line four engines. But they went with parodies of Harleys...everybody wants a Harley; everybody wants a bike that makes your ass hurt and numbs your hands and makes you tired after twenty minutes of it.

Either that or a Gold Wing; a car on two wheels.

I chose a different way; but unfortunately, the brand name had gotten just too important for that line, also. Maybe BMW will sell some of THEIR old designs to the Chinese...I could get into an R50 clone...
  10. savit260

savit260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Have you seen these?

http://www.chang-jiang.com/bmw/motor-s.html
  11. vortexau

Oddometer:
    Thought provoking!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    She supports Norton . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .and other times stands by Triumph.

[​IMG]

And if he stares at her logo, he's only Being human!
  12. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    One thing I took issue with in the article:

He says, basically, since he's only on a scooter, he doesn't feel the need for good protection. Then he talks about the scooter being able to exceed 100MPH.

Does he think because he's on a scooter it's not going to hurt if he spills? :deal
  13. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, I thought that was a hoot! DA.....

Back to the OP, I don't think the article said they were similar, the burgman and honda were just mentioned. Also, I saw $10,000, not $12,000. 60hp compared to 30some, hmmm....
    That 575 lb, weight scared me!
  14. vortexau

Oddometer:
    There are many males, chiefly under the age of Thirty, who have poor perception of what constitutes risky behavior. For some the alarm bells can 'ring' TOO late when danger arrives-

[​IMG]

Often judgment calls can be based on 'image' rather than 'situation'.
  15. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
  16. savit260

savit260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look like this has been updated in a while, but this place was selling them.

http://www.blitzbikes.com/id39.htm
  17. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    It's true it's hard to give away the T-Max in the US, but the US isn't the world when it comes to scooters. Far from it.
    In Europe where people take scooters seriously, the T-Max is huge.
  18. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    When you consider how many Burgman 650's Suzuki has been flogging Lo these many years; It's hard to understand why Kymco hasn't brought over the Myroad 700 instead of the lame Xcting 500. The Myroad has been out for some time now. Instead they are building motors for BMW to do the same thing. Very strange.
  19. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    We agree on the expense and the joy of riding. Ten years of ownership taught me that the bikes are needlessly complex and more difficult to service than they need to be; and despite what the Teutonic faithful would have you believe, German quality control isn't what it used to be.

Looking at the design of my RT80 I was expecting something like the reliability of my old VW Bugs. Not even close.
  20. vortexau

Oddometer:
    Have a read here:
    Scooters That Are 650 CC & Up

. . . down where the text is on Kymco Myroad 700i. and the second sentence where that subject is made quite clear. Kymco sold off their engine, and so on . . .