Mopeds - What's out there for a 14 year old?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Howzit, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    My daughter turns 14 in a couple of months and I'm leaning towards a Yamaha Zuma 50 being a 2 smoke Japanese and all. Hard to kill and has enough pep to get around.

Any other recommendations out there?

[​IMG]

...feel free to add a pic of your pick to this thread :D
  2. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Zuma
  3. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with Tomos mopeds? Made in Europe. Tomos Mopeds

Tomos Arrow (reminds me of a Honda Express)
    [​IMG]

Streetmate (reminds me of a Honda MB5)
    [​IMG]

Nitro 50
    [​IMG]
  4. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    Room for a Ruckus anyone?

[​IMG]

Honda Metro
    [​IMG]
  5. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Those are legal at 14 there? Here it's 16 and a driver's license (not MC) is necessary.

These are cute: CPI GTR 50

[​IMG]

But I think nothing would beat that Yam BWS scooter.
  6. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    CPI GTR is cool but does not qualify as a moped (too fast) :D

Iowa Age Limit "Persons age 14 through 15 must be issued a moped permit, but must first complete a moped rider education course approved by the Iowa Department of Transportation. The standard operator's knowledge examination and a vision screening are required. Skills testing may be required at the discretion of the DOT examiner."

Iowa Moped law: "MOTORIZED BICYCLE: The new definition of motorized bicycle (moped) found in 321.1(40)b of the Iowa Code reads:

"Motorized bicycle" means a motor vehicle having a saddle or a seat for the use of a rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and not capable of operating at a speed in excess of 30 miles per hour on level ground unassisted by human power.
    This new definition has eliminated the reference to “an engine having a displacement of no greater than 50 cubic centimeters.” This change allows for electric motors or engines to serve as a source of propulsion.
    The key to whether a vehicle is a motorized bicycle or motorcycle is its maximum operating speed, as certified by the original manufacturer. The speed of a motorized bicycle cannot exceed 30 miles per hour on level ground unassisted by human power. The top speed of 30 mph must be printed on the manufacturer’s certificate of origin.​
    "

7. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Iowa dealers used to just speed restrict any of the 50cc scooters (Zuma, Metro, Vino, etc...). But the change in the law is new to me as I haven't ridden in Iowa in a long time. You'll probably have to call actual dealers to see what it says on the MCO or title if you're buying used from someone with a title.

I wonder how the new law deals with titles (especially if you buy from out of state) and used bikes. The old Metro II was speed restricted from the factory. The even older Spree had an actual Iowa edition that was also purposely speed restricted from Honda. But I don't really recall what either said on the MCO.
  8. approachbears

Oddometer:
    As for your questions about specific scoots...
    The Zuma is fine, though I really don't like 2 smokes.

The Ruckus and the Metro share the same mechanicals. Very reliable. Very easy to ride. Nice looking, Tons of after market parts.

Tomos is about the last importer of old style mopeds that isn't totally Chinese. Their mopeds are pretty old tech except for the new style headlights and they've been selling the basic models forever. They run fine compared to other 1983 era mopeds. The Tomos scooters (the Nitro 50 you posted) are just rebadged Chinese brands. Nobody around my way carries those, so I have zero first hand knowledge.
  9. bvardi

bvardi Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer:
  10. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Consider purchasing a non-running China 50cc 4-stroke scooter from a regional Craigslist posting for the educational experience . . engine and final drive oil changes, variator inspection, carb cleaning, valve adjustment, testing wiring & connector continuity, stator & regulator, CDI & ignition coil. Parts are cheap. Generic service manual pdf. There are numerous "How To" 139QMB and GY6 YouTube videos. Eventually "graduate" to something else . . after experience and judgement has developed.
  11. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    Mui loco - I remember stripping down my 79 TS50 and 82 MT50 and all the joys associated with those. A non-running Zuma may be fun. (I can just see my daughter wrenching on her moped) :D

...a Chinese non-runner, I don't think so. :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :huh :eek1 :lol3
  12. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    Zumas are great, you can find used ones for under $1,000 all the time and they have huge parts/aftermarket support. If I were buying a 50cc I'd pretty much go straight to the Zuma. The earlier Vino 50 was also a 2 stroke and a little "cuter" if she's that type of girl.

I've heard good things about Tomos' mopeds but not their scooters. Any Italian or Japanese brand is a safe bet as are Kymco and SYM.
  13. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    I'm a Yamaha fan but I do like Kymco.

Super 8 50T
    [​IMG]

Agility 50 (looks like a Zuma)
    [​IMG]
  14. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Related post.

"The Lance Cali Classic is built by SanYang industries. (SYM). The bike labels read "manufactured by SanYang Industries". The keys, the engine components, the body panels are all labeled SYM. The VIN numbers all begin with RFGB (indicating Taiwan origin and SYM manufacture). The drive train is actually produced in SYM's Taiwan facility, the rest of the bike is assembled in their Chinese plant along with Kymco's Agility, Yamaha Zuma, Tomos, and Fiddle ll."
  15. mac66

mac66 Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it were my kid, I would buy a used jap bike before any chinese POS if nothing else than for the dealer support.
  16. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    YES
    Zuma
    Ruckus
    Agility

NO
    China POS
    Honda Metro (slow)

Just my 2 cents
  17. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    But they're the same.
  18. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
  19. approachbears

Oddometer:
    How exactly is the Honda Metro slower than the Honda Ruckus? They share the same engine and basic drive train, the Metro is lighter weight, and the Met has lower rolling resistance tires. They have the same ECU controlled top speed, but the Met is quicker off the line if both are stock. Perhaps you're thinking of the time prior to 2007 when Honda sold a Metropolitan II alongside the regular Met. The Metro II was a factory restricted version for sale in places that required a sub-35mph top speed.
  20. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    I had not even thought of Piaggio or Aprilia. They make great scooters!

Piaggio Fly 50
    [​IMG]

Aprilia Sportcity One 50
    [​IMG]

...thanks for the input so far! :thumb