Kendon Dual Trailer Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 76443, Sep 28, 2009.

1. 76443

76443 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a Kendon two place trailer for about a year now and thought I would provide a short review (If I get off my lazy butt I may post some pics later). I added a center rail, if I am towing (god forbid) an 800 pound single bike I want the weight centered. (more about the rail later)

Pros:
    - Very Light 400ish pounds (my CR-V pulls it easily)
    - Well balanced, tongue weight is perfect
    - Low to the ground (also see cons)
    - Nice front wheel locks/chocks
    - Has a 2000 pound gvw so you can load two large bikes
    - The axle is a torsion axle and top notch
    - Most importantly the trailer folds, stands-up and sits nicely in the corner of my shop. It does take two people to let the trailer down and to stand it up.

Cons:
    - Tie down locations are terrible (particularly the outside front, the require the use of a softstrap. I put a splitlink around the tie down tubing to easily hook a tiedown strap so I did not have to use a softstrap)
    - The spare is mounted under the trailer much to low and can easily drag. It is also inaccessible while the trailer is hooked to the car. The bikes have to be unloaded and the the trailer removed to access the spare. The solution is to carry the spare in the car.
    - The front jack is junk and I will replace it this winter with a bulldog.
    - The single safety cable is to short.
    - The ramp is junk and is not easily accessible while the trailer is loaded. The solution is to carry the ramp in the car.
    - The welding on the trailer is barely passable, so far I have fixed a number of burn throughs.
    - The powder coating started immediately flaking off. The welds were not cleaned up and rust on the metal was not cleaned-up. The powder was applied over the the top of these contaminates. Kendon was not interested in hearing it. They said not their problem.
    - The center rail's mounting bracket was welded on in the wrong location and the mounting hardware was completely the wrong size. Kendon refused to replace the center rail saying that it was supposed to be that way :huh. I cut it apart and re-welded it and bought the right hardware. The biggest design flaw is that the center tie down hook is directly under the front tire in the center rail. Poor poor design.

Fixed items:
    - Loading ramp had been replaced with an aluminum channel ramp.
    - Lights were replaced with led lights
    - Spare has been removed and carried in the car (no real solution for the spare.
    - Added proper safety chains
    - Fixed weld burn throughs

Items to fix this winter:
    - Weld on bulldog front jack
    - Soda blast the flaking powder coat
    - Fix any remaining burn throughs
    - Replace fixed tiedown points with folding tiedown points

Conclusions:
    The trailer is a very good trailer but it is very expensive for the corners that Kendon cut on it. I would rate it about 65%. After I complete the fixes it will be about 95%, there is no real fix for the spare mounting location. Would I purchase it again? Yes because of the convenience of the trailer. If there was an acceptable alternative they would be in trouble...

The most troubling aspect was they were not willing to stand behind their product, so I treat it as a product with no warranty.

The rest of my post has disappeared!!! :huh Fixed...

Update

Fellow Inmates I have an update to my Kendon trailer review.

I spoke in depth with the new President of Kendon Industries. Many
    of the issues discussed in my review have been addressed by Kendon; the welding and powder coat issues have been resolved, they have a very nice new jack, an led lighting solution, and new radial tires.

My biggest issues were the welding, powder coating, and lack of support. It
    looks like all of this (and much more) has been fixed.

Cudos to Kendon and the new management team for recognizing the problems and taking aggressive steps to fix them.

Update 7/26/2013

Update to my original review.

With less than 1000 miles on the trailer I am replacing both sets of wheel bearings tomorrow with Timken bearings and seals. The Chinese junk wheel bearings have all failed, what fucking junk!!! Unfortunately mine is one of the trailers manufactured in China and it is a total piece of shit!!!

2. Ridedit

Ridedit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked one up about a year and a half ago. Changing the tire, I chose to unload it, loosen the nuts, stand it on end and replace the tire. A slower process but I figured much safer than using the wrong type of jack.

I'm not a big guy, 5'6, 180. But I manage to get it standing on end and back to the ground myself. The only change I would make (and I will soon now that I think of it) is I will replace the bottom casters with locking casters so that it doesn't roll aaway from me when I'm picking it up.
  3. 76443

76443 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are lifting the dual trailer by yourself then you are a stud!!!

I have a jack that fits the trailer perfectly (for changing a flat). The tongue jack is a different story :huh

Good idea on the locking casters.
  4. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had the dual Kendon since the new design came out several years ago. I have put a Wing on the side and towed it successfully all the way to Idaho....and it rode level.

Later I put on a center rail just to feel more comfortable ........in my head. If you do not get the center rail........get mudflaps for your truck/car.

Make sure licence plate is attached well. PITA to find it a week after you lost it.

Don't bother with the tongue stand...........just rest trailer on the ground.

I can get it up and down by myself ..............clean and jerk. :clap

[​IMG]

Number one advantage of the Kendon...Number one law of nature...crap expands to the room available.
    [​IMG]

Handy as it can stand up at a tent site or just about anywhere.
    [​IMG]

It can handle abuse.
    [​IMG]
  5. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Man, I have no complaints using mine. I've had it about 13 years, so it's an older design but I have had no problems at all other than somebody hitting it when it's unloaded. Added some red reflective tape and maybe a light bulb in all that time and travel. Maybe those interested should look for an older model....
  6. 76443

76443 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The older design is a somewhat narrower but it is more bullet proof.
  7. NJ-GS

NJ-GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Review is spot on. Any pics of your ramp?

I also tow with a CR-V, I and added the center rail/chock. As a winter project, I'm thinking about adding removable side railings so I can also use it as a utility trailer. Plans (kind of): http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331175_200331175
  8. 76443

76443 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will take a pic of the ramp when I get a moment. It is simply an aluminum channel ramp cut down to about 4 ft.

I am interested in your thoughts on the utility conversion. Could you post details as you go along...
  9. 76443

76443 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm...

About half of my original post is gone :huh Fixed...
  10. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea I thought the OP was longer toooooooooo! :huh

I still use the OEM ramp but never put in on the trailer...........just throw it in the bed of my truck. You are right the OEM ramp is not great..........but the loading height is so low that it is not critical for me. I may get another ramp though. Regular ramps are just too long for what you need on the Kendon so I like your idea.
  11. 76443

76443 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even the modified ramp goes in the back of my CR-V along with the spare. Both are inaccessible when using the trailer :freaky
  12. mantan

mantan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2007 model of the dual trailer. Bought it (very) lightly used. No problem standing it up, putting it down or just pulling it out of the garage to the street alone. I am not big. For standing up, the key is to put something under the tires to prevent them from rolling.

I do have a problem with reversing the car (Toyota Highlander) while the trailer is attached. The trailer keep turing to one of the sides and hits the bumper.

Is there a trick to reversing? For now I try my best to avoid reversing or do it very slowly, like crawling to avoid damage to the car.
  13. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Key for me is to leave a bike or something on the trailer so I can see what the trailer is doing. Once you get the hang of it ....not too bad.

Another key tip is to keep your wife out of the picture/no SO directions as that does not help marriages/relationships. :freaky :D
    Bhart89 likes this.
  14. sailwing2003

sailwing2003 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the new model as well.

One bike works well, carries two GS's if they are tilted out slightly.

Added a Pringel wheel stop to the center of the deck instead of a 3rd rail system, much cleaner deck to work on, or walk on.

Added the Air Dam, but now it's too heavy to safely stand up. But wow, the amount of chips and dirt on it after towing with my Avalanche.

Just added a tongue jack. We welded a 2" square tube to the trailer where the center tubes bend down. To the top of the square tube welded a 1/4" plate with 2" hole. Bolt mounted a crank up and down jack, with a removable wheel. Jack is in behind the air dam, stays clean, easy to operate standing next to the trailer, now allows unhooking the trailer without unloading the bikes, and less of a pain to move when empty.

Like the light weight, and have stopped using my Big Tex MC35 motorcycle trailer when taking only 1 or 2 bikes.
  15. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they seriously $2400? My $600 utility trailer is nothing to brag about and has it's own set of issues I plan to fix (wiring, LEDs, better deck), but for a 5x8 utility trailer it has several uses and has hauled dual sports, an FJR, trail 70, truck axles, dump trips...you get the idea. I don;t get the concept of something that has only one use that is that spendy. Yeah it folds up and is compact, I get that benefit as some need truly that.
  16. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    This the only way I could own a trailer. :dunno
  17. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could use the same thing (single car garage and would like my trailer out of the elements), but not at that price is all.
  18. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Outside isn't a option for me. So, folding trailer or nothing.
  19. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Is there another trailer that tracks or rides as well as the Kendon?
  20. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at tongue jacks also but found out I did not need one. I can take the trailer off/on the ball by myself even with a Goldwing. I bought the factory "folding leg" but do not use it anymore.