mapsource problem after computer crash

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Pappy541, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Pappy541

Pappy541 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need some advice.

Several weeks ago my computer came down with a very bad virus. The virus basicly would not let me do any thing with the computer unless I bought their spy wear protection. All my programs including mapsource were unusable. The telephone computer help person advised that I buy a external hard drive to move my stuff too and then he nuked the bug. The computer has now recovered and is working. Mapsource however did not survive. None of the saved files would open.
    So I deleted mapsource and using the CD reinstalled it. Wow this is now an updated version and is much better. However after working on a new trip I go to save it and when I go back to open the saved file the computer wants to open it in the image/ picture program. So then I right click and go to the open in program guide and I get all sorts of options but no mapsource even though mapsource is on the computer.
    WHAT do I need to do?
    Thanks
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Since you had a virus, I will assume you have a Windoze OS. Here is how you associate your GDB and/or GPX files with MapSource.

1. You will now be in a file explore window and you will need to fine the MapSource application....here is where it might be a bit difficult for you...so, I suggest you Search your C: Drive for the MapSource application: mapsource.exe.

2. When you find it, write down the location - something like: C:\Program Files\Garmin\mapsource.exe

3. Now that you know the location of the MapSource program

4. Open a folder with anyone of your GDB and/or GPX files in it.

5. Right Click on the file name and select PROPERTIES from the list.

6. In the resulting popup window, you will see just below the Tabs a section that says: Type of file: .................
    Opens with: ................ "Change"

7. Click on the CHANGE button.

8. In the resulting popup window if you don't see MapSource listed, select the BROWSE... button.

9. Now just navigate to it location of the mapsource.exe file...once there, select the mapsource.exe file and click on OPEN...

10. Select the OK button then in the remaining popup window select the APPLY and then the OK buttons....

You have now associated the GDB and/or GPX file types with MapSource.
  3. Pappy541

Pappy541 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply and I get it corrected. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!