Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer:
    +1 on that.

Jerry
  2. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my Madstad screen installed yesterday. Good quality stuff here, and a breeze to install. I could of used this on my trip to Flagstaff, did 1,200 miles - 75% of the time in horrid wind.

[​IMG]
  3. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Or maybe you have to ride to Georgia to find a corner? :lol3 The only time I got to ride twisties in Fla was at the race track in West Palm. :thumb

Off roading was good practice for learning sand riding. I had a Husky 5 speed Auto, a hoot in Sugar Sand.
  4. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Never saw anybody set one upright like that. I should think you might get some buffeting with the screen being so far away from your helmet.
    I rake mine at just a smige more upright than the black plate for speed (touring) runs, same as black plate for local riding.
  5. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    We all know riding has less to do with the bike, than it does with the rider. I ride a lot of tight technical stuff where the best bike would probably be a <500cc super motard, and I do get my butt off the seat. Over the last decade, I've owned a R1100S, R1150GS, WR250X, XR1200, and T800. Only ever touched hard parts down on the last two bikes, and most frequently on the Tiger, and I'd argue that I've been slowing down (getting old). Weighing in at 150lbs, I've always set my unladened preload to <25%.... on the Tiger, I'm starting to bump that up to 30-45%... not ideal as the rear starts to feel too stiff vs the front.

To say it has less clearance than a "Harley" may seem like a cut.... but the XR was one hell of cornering demon - here's a typical tire off that bike Clicky.
  6. eram310

eram310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand precisely what you mean. I used to be more or less regular at track days and motorcycle track school and I also own an SV650 with aftermarket suspension for my 160lbs frame.
    I definitely have to get off the bike (T800) more than I do on the SV to avoid scrapping. The front is soft and I have to avoid braking hard before a turn, which is a good thing for street riding anyway. I also noticed that my hands get fatigued because I hold on to the bars instead of leaning over to them, like you do on sport / sport touring bikes. I am known to be an aggressive street rider and most experienced riders on sport bikes have to pay attention following me whether it be on the Tiger or SV.

I did increase preload to about 20 clicks (4 lines showing) out. More than that, and itÂ’s start getting too hard for my weight.

Rode about a 1000 miles on the bike this weekend and overall I am very happy.

7. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I have been running stock and uni pre filter. there is another company that makes one but i can't remember the name. its three letters. tdr, drt, ..... something like that. I can see it in my head.
  8. fbj913

Oddometer:
    I get mine from Engle Motors in Kansas City.
  9. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
  10. fbj913

Oddometer:
  11. Stein67

Stein67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do they usually keep K60's in stock or do they order them for you? If they are stock I'm going to stop in for a pair next time I'm in town.
  12. fbj913

Oddometer:
    in stock. call them first because they said they are selling them like hot cakes. last time i was in they said they sold out but had more on order. I'm actually headed there now. I'll ask if I remember.
  13. fbj913

Oddometer:
    ^^^ I forgot to ask, sorry!

Has anyone used the Triumph aux light switch on non stock lights? There are four wires and my lights have 3. What wires go where? Thanks!!!
  14. Oddball

Oddball Faking it.

Oddometer:
    Aux light switch were can I get one?
  15. fbj913

Oddometer:
    got mine from the dealer
  16. fbj913

Oddometer:
    So I got some Rigid Industries Denali D2 Aux lights. I don't have them mounted yet but I finally got them all wired up last night. The lights have 3 wires coming out of the the harness and the switch has 5. It took me several tries to figure out what goes where. I used the Triumph Aux light switch thats mounts to the clutch clamp. Anyhow, if anyone else tries the same combo below are what wires go to what... After I get them all mounted up I'll post some pics.

Red and White - Red
    Grey - Blue
    Black and Black - Black
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

Please post some pics once you get the install done. Thanks
  18. Wandering Dane

Wandering Dane We are the luckiest guys Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have the same hand guards and Madstad windshield as I do on my Roadie. As a trial, I also installed the winglets on my bike as you have. But I found that they severely limited how much I could turn the handlebars. My bars are rotated somewhat forward, perhaps that caused the interference or just perhaps the lower bars of the Roadie.

BTW, I agree with an earlier poster who commented that for highway riding the most comfortable windshield position is essentially parallel to the black base plate.

I just returned from a four day, 2100 mile road trip and for my 5 ft 10 in height, that position was the most comfortable of the six different positions that I tried. In addition to the windshield being parallel to the base plate, I also have it adjusted far away from the base plate to create a relatively large opening between the base plate and the windshield and I adjusted mine somewhat higher than shown in this picture.
  19. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Has anybody found a folding shifter (other than touraripoff)?
  20. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    SB 439 for VIN's 466334 thru 501587.

This is for a new shifter return spring. Triumph is not sending out letters & dealers act like they don't want to mess with this unless you have a problem. If you call them & let them know that you know, then they'll do the recall.