No electrical power

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by graniterover, Apr 9, 2013.

1. graniterover

graniterover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2006 950 Adventure

Battery was dead (wouldn't hold a charge). Ordered a new one. A neighborhood kid has been helping me with some small projects. He put the new battery in and accidentally grounded the wrench on the aluminum plate above the battery.

No ignition, no power.

The ignition fuse (10amp) seems fine. With a tester there is no power to the fuse that I can see. Of course, at the same time, the battery on my multi meter died so I was only using a test lamp.

Either way, the manual has the power from the battery going to the 10amp fuse, then to the ignition.

Any suggestions on what I should test for next?

Thank you in advance. Hoping to get this going by Saturday so I can ride!

Mark
  2. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    30 amp main fuse down next to the battery.

Teach the kid how to install a battery safely too. He could have been really hurt
  3. graniterover

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the quick reply.

Both 30 amp fuses looked good. To be certain, I went to the store and bought a box, installed two new ones, and.... nothing.

Going to go poke around the starter relay with a test light.
  4. graniterover

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't the power have to go through the ignition regardless of the power to the starter relay switch?

I mean, the schematic shows a line from the battery to the ignition switch.

I bet I blew that. I don't see a fuse before the power gets to it, only a 10 amp after.
  5. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a voltmeter it is easy to follow the 12 volts from the battery through the 30 amp fuse up to the steering head area. There is a copper piece that goes bad between the battery cable bolt and 30 amp fuse holder. (the second 30 amp fuse is a spare)

What I'm not sure of is, if the kid was shorting out the battery at the battery there is no fuse protection there.

The key switch has been known to go bad, but the ass u mption is this is related to the battery install, right?
  6. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Is the battery still good according to your test light? If so, I would suspect a terminal or a cable immediately around the battery, current shouldn't have traveled through many other places if the key was off at the time.
  7. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    if the battery was momentarily shorted + to frame (-) at the battery the fuses will be just fine. I would go through all of the termination points of the major cables. A volt meter will help with the diagnosis, otherwise you will be doing a lot of chasing your tail.
  8. graniterover

Oddometer:
    Working from home today. Bike is 20 feet away. I'm sure no one will notice as I fix it!
  9. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Curious here:ear... For future reference, what did you find and what did you do to fix it.
  10. graniterover

Oddometer:
    Had to go in to work. Got as far as pulling the bike out of the garage.
  11. graniterover

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for helping me. Finally got a few minutes to address this.

The previous owner had put an aux fuse box on the bike. It was so well done that I did not realize the MAIN stock + wire was not connected, but was in fact shoved behind the battery by my clever helper. I saw the aux wire and mistakenly thought it was the main stock wire.

Full disclosure: my friend Steve found the problem.

I think I'll take the whole bike apart soon so I know what goes where when future things crop up.
  12. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. I've done that before. :shog