New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Jimbobshere

Jimbobshere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with the FMF Power Bomb head pipe on the 690. Wonder if there is $350 difference in performance. Supposed to make the bike quieter and a 10% improvement in?
  2. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
    Are you guys using more than just one of the maps or just staying in the one that you find to be the best? Can the maps on the handlebar be switched without turning the ignition off and on?
    Sorry about all the questions but it is a lot of dough to drop on one item!
  3. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I've got one on mine. The reason is that the stock header broke and it costs $250 MORE then the Power Bomb. I didn't notice any power differences and it obviously had no effect on noise.

I wil say this, the welds on the FMF were shitty and eventually one of them broke. I sent it in and they repaired it and actually went back and re-welded all the shitty welds the way they should have in the first place.
  4. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    I leave it on setting 1 since I mostly use it off road. I haven't really touched the vortex, it came on the bike when I bought it.
  5. al m

al m n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there KTMers,

I'm looking at getting an single-lung adventure bike (2nd hand) for a big ol' Central/North American ride and am currently interested in the 690 Adventure or DR650. Some might say these bikes are chalk and cheese but this is what I've narrowed it down to for my own reasons...I've come here looking for your opinions on comfort of the 690 and to ask what sort of maintenance I'd be looking at if I owned one of these things.

Can any of you kind gentlemen shed some light on these topics? Obviously I'm looking at a ton of miles so comfort is paramount but so is maintenance once I get off the beaten track.

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully I'll see you on the road!
  6. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:

the 690 is FI not carbed so has the added complication of a fuel pump & computer mapping. they don't apear to like dirty fuel much either and the standard seat is woeful for anything remotely long distance. A lot of people new to FI bikes do struggle when something goes wrong as the technology can be frustrating to deal with especially out in the whop whops. Having said all that I have an 09 and have had little trouble with it apart from chains breakng which is my bad maintenance in anycase.

I have owned a DR as well (2nd hand) and can tell you the seats on those things are plain evil after 1-2 hrs. The tech on them is more familier to most people being that they are 30yrs old

The 690 needs oil changes every 5000 klm (the oil is not cheap for them either!) and valves checked every 10K but not much else. The DR will run on any old rubbish and has longer service intervals (can't recall what they are...10 yrs or something like that :rofl)

If you have it serviced by someone who knows what they are doing and dont try and outsmart the techs who designed the mapping, don't put the worst grade mongolian vinagar in it for fuel the 690 is a reliable bike.

cheers
  7. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screen
    [​IMG]
    '08 E shows 5,000 miles or so.
    Doing the CA Cycle pump. and I'll probably mod the pump housing for more flow around the new pump for additional cooling.

[​IMG]

Also, thinking I may replace the quick disconnect with the NAPA filter (part number?) Will the filter fit in the stock location of the disconnect?
  8. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    I hardly ever ride tarmac , but I think with the Vortex on the economy mode it would be similar economy to standard. A lot of the Vortex maps give a noticable decrease in economy .
  9. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl
  10. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any problems with the stock seat but i do stand up alot on the rides i do
  11. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice one B2..... that about sums up the seat comfort question....it's ok as long as you don't sit on it :rofl:rofl
  12. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:

Or have a cinderblock for an ass. :deal
  13. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I got 16 km/l yesterday over a 350 off-road loop using Vortex's economy map. I was the only bike that had severe range issues.
  14. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah - if you only do rides that you sit down on buy a tiger 800 xc :evil
  15. Frontwheel21

Frontwheel21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

The damper does completely remove headshake on the new KTM 690 Enduro. :clap
    I went 110 mph yesterday on TKCs without any headshake. After advice from Scotts/California I adjusted some settings on the damper. It was essential to turn both Sweep control valves by 180° to the 6 o'clock position. (It is delivered and preset to 12 o'clock which damps only in a narrow angle.) At 6 o'clock the complete steering angle is damped. This made the big difference because it can compensate for the great force exerted at high speeds. Also the Highspeed valve is highly effective. I turned it 1/4 counterclockwise from the stiffest setting. This setting will remove the headshake completely.
  16. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
    37 mpg's with the fuel economy map? What are you getting on the power maps?
  17. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    <dl class="gallery-item col-4"><dt class="gallery-icon">[​IMG]</dt></dl> <dl class="gallery-item col-4"><dt class="gallery-icon">[​IMG]</dt></dl> <dl class="gallery-item col-4"><dt class="gallery-icon">[​IMG]</dt></dl> <dl class="gallery-item col-4"><dt class="gallery-icon">[​IMG]</dt></dl>

We have had the pleasure of one of ADV Rider's US inmates,Noah from Montana visiting us on an unplanned stopover on his RTW trip.He had his 690 stolen in Ireland,and after a few days he managed to get a lift on the back of a bike to Rally-Raid HQ in the UK.We actually had a US plated KTM 690 which was left by Luke Swab,aka Fishfund,from his trip last year.So we are in the process of making it up to scratch for Noah to carry on his trip with.
    He has had a great deal of support from bikers here in the UK & Ireland after his unfortunate start to his European leg of his trip,but we hope we can help him on his way.
    It just goes to show what a world-wide phenomena that ADV Rider is,with contacts all over the world.
    Noah has been pretty busy fabricating an alloy tool tray to go in place of the airbox,as Fishfunds old KTM 690 has a Uni-Filter fitted.
    It is looking pretty good now,not bad metalwork for an electrician!!
    He has also added our Rear Fuel Tank & Soft Luggage Frames to complete the set-up.
    He has had good news from his brother in USA,the new licence documents are on their way so he can carry on with his trip.

Follow his blog
  18. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic news!
  19. Roostre

Roostre Disco

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
  20. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    My TPS gremlins continue....
    Not sure if anyone else has had this issue or could point me in a direction for further diagnostics.
    Issue: While riding, any gear, any speed, or bike stationary at idle, I randomly get an FI solid on light and the engine tone changes. Going to Neutral provides a 9 x long flash indicating a TPS issue.
    Well, I first check all TPS related voltages via TuneECU and all were within spec. I checked all wiring for chaffing, short to frame etc and nothing. I then replaced the TPS with a new one and reset the voltages. Unfortunately same error/issue persists.
    I decided to check the TPS voltages directly to see if I could find an abnormality. I used pins to back probe the TPS connector to a logging DVM. What I found was interesting. The working voltage was a steady 4.98V which is great. The sense line voltage was at 0.58V while idling normally, which is what should be expected. When the FI issue occurs the sense voltage jumps to 0.71V and stays there. The working voltage does not change. If I cycle the key or kill switch all goes back to normal.
    From what I can gather is that somehow the stepper motor must be getting a signal to move the butterfly a set amount, independant of throttle position, at random times which seems the only way the sense voltage on the TPS would change a set amount and stay static.(some randon butterfly to throttle position offset) The wiring diagram does not have any info on the 8 position stepper plug pin-out for me to analyze. Are there any sensors that control this stepper (left side throttle body) or is it driven through the ECU only. I would prefer not to buy a new throttle body to see if the issue goes away or not.

Any thoughts....this just started happening about 250 miles ago. Have not done any mods/mapping for about 8k miles. Running a version of the Beaney map FWIW.