Favorite Noob Rides and Portland Lady MC's

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by LilMamaBoneCrusher, Oct 22, 2014.

1. LilMamaBoneCrusher

LilMamaBoneCrusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

Total noob, here. Just got my first bike last week - a 2004 Rebel 250 named Lolita - and I'm in love! She's my commuter for now as I build my skills and gear up. I'm hoping to head out on some easy rides over the winter/spring on those rare clear days we're sometimes afforded. Got any favorite routes? I'm itchin' to get her over 50mph (ha!) but am not comfortable with I-5, yet. Have yet to be on any freeway, really, but again, am eager to learn.

Also, not sure how many ladies are on these forums, but I've heard tale of some rockin' ladies MC's in Portland. Do they still exist?

Are there any regular meetups I should (or should not) check out? I tried to follow the meetups thread but it's well over 1,000 posts now...

Thanks for any help! I look forward to ridin' with y'all someday!

xoxo
    Lil' Mama Bone Crusher
    [​IMG]
  2. S.t.t.G.

S.t.t.G. Mind over metal...

Oddometer:
    Welcome to ADV....
  3. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    You're going to have to explain your screen name.

:rofl
  4. eric n

eric n Long timer

Oddometer:
    welcome to riding in the northwet.

where heated grips and rain resistant helmets are required.

rebel 250's are scary on the freeway. I have fixed/tuned a few of them. the first one I rode I spent two days getting the suspension set up to prevent that dreaded tank slapper feeling reduced. you have to learn to relax and not death grip the bars at higher speeds. the more you tense up the worse it will get. that bike does not do well for extended freeway use. its a city cruiser. and can make for negative early experience if you aren't really dedicated to riding. the last woman I coached to get more confident on her bike I forced to ride a 250 dual sport. and she was able to do a hour of freeway without having the look of fear on her face. she now rides a ninja 250. and now is able to ride 8 hours or more in one shot. on the rebel 2 hours was her max.

http://www.docwongnorthwest.org/home

I strongly advise you to go to this clinic its free and open to everyone. you will find other women there. and from the times I have gone I never witnessed any demeaning conduct toward females. (you will find some of that in the H-D bikers) but most of all start reading and watching as much motorcycle training material as you can find.
  5. LilMamaBoneCrusher

Oddometer:
  6. DireWolf

Oddometer:
  7. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    That looks like something that would be fun to go watch!
  8. dhally

dhally Hammerhead

Oddometer:
    ---just stay out of the way !
  9. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
  10. LilMamaBoneCrusher

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advice!

Are there really heated grips?! Crazy.

Yeah, I was looking for a 400-450 originally but had a hell of a time dealing with people on craigslist and then little Lolita came along and I couldn't pass her up. I hope to upgrade within a year or so.

What are the advantages of dual sport, in your opinion? Also, what's the tank-slapper feeling you are talking about? I've been having trouble figuring out just how to deal with enricher and finding the sweet spot for this lil' lady that seems to always trend towards cold, but I think I'm gettin' the hang and just went through and cleaned everything out so she's not ridin' as muddy as she was when I got her. (I don't think she had been serviced once in the last ten years...).

Anyway, thanks again!
  11. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    D/S advantages?

You'd be riding a bike that can go almost anywhere paved/unpaved/trail and get there in a fraction of the time it would take in a Jeep or pickup. Amazing places. Just look around in here at the pics and smiles on the faces of the riders here. If you like the out of doors in the NW than a dirt bike with a license plate is the way to go.

Barlow road, 160 year old wagon track over Mt Hood.
    Gifford Pinchot Nat forest: 2.5 million acres to ride through.
    Almost the entire coast range on 2-track roads.
    Desert/plains of eastern Oregon.
    Can ride on the beach and not (usually) get stuck!

Longer travel suspension: means they ride over bumps/holes/rocks way better than streetbikes. If you are short of stature this can be a problema, but there are bike mods for that too.

Opportunity to greatly expand one's riding/tube-patching/fixing skills.

The attitude of fellow riders is generally pretty laid back vs. sportbike/streetbike crowd. Not so competitive (unless we go to Pat's Acres!)

Nothing to prove, 'cept how much fun you can have pounding up a dirt road to an awesome abandoned forest fire lookout tower in the middle of nowhere/everywhere.
  12. tymetrvlr

tymetrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the advantages of dual sport, in your opinion?

You should have asked about the d i s advantages, for the short answer.
    DS bikes do it all :lol3
  13. LilMamaBoneCrusher

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha. Noted.

...and I might be sold...

though what about long freeway rides? I'm lookin' to up my proficiency and gradually work my way towards a cross country ride, to show up on my brother's door and show him why he should've followed through on his promise of getting me my first motorcycle. :D Everything I've read says cruiser for the long hauls...
  14. DireWolf

Oddometer:
    2015 Road Glide.
  15. LilMamaBoneCrusher

Oddometer:
    hahahaha yup! that looks sweet! the next time i have a house down-payment i don't know what to do with, i'll grab that ride!

Also, i have to say that I found this while looking for a snarky face, and i think it's the best "smilie" on here. :kat
  16. tymetrvlr

tymetrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode a 1600 mile loop this summer, all over Oregon in 12 days, some highway, mostly scenic or forest service roads. I've also done freeway at 75 mph to 80 just fine. For about 2 to 3 hours at a time, 7 to 8 in a day. On a KLR. If your background is Cycling you will do better than most. Hehe....way better.
    I hear those cruisers do not do as well hobbling over some gravel compared to a dualsport on the highway. All the scenic stuff however is off the beaten path.
  17. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    There ya go, get out & do it, & a KLR 650 is a good start!!

Did i miss the RR & pics from that Barb !?
  18. tymetrvlr

tymetrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't post one, am kind of a private person, ya know..... but I had a blast.
    I turned that Hells Canyon thing into one big loop all over, including the John Day area, Crater Lake, riding back up along the beach and lots of secluded spots along the way.

Next: down along the coast to Ca on my new DS: a beemer f800gs. Yes, the 2015......it is red :D. Early Xmas for me :D
    After Ca visit to daughter in Phoenix....even better riding down there!
    I tell ya, life has been good!

----sorry for hijacking this thread, am really making a case for DS :freaky
  19. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Congratulations Barb. You deserve a new bike, after all those miles put on your KLR. The 800GS is a great all around bike, it ain't no trail bike though, so don't get no ideas of tackling Suicide Grade right off the bat! :D

Did you get the Adventure Model, or standard? What kind of luggage are you going to run?
  20. tymetrvlr

tymetrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Standard. I got the racks for the cases, but will initially get brackets to use Ortlieb soft bags on both of my bikes.