Adventure 990 2009 won't start

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by malcra, Oct 2, 2010.

1. malcra

malcra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    after the recent demise of 2004 950, my newly acquired 990 now won't start this morning. Using the normal start-up sequence, (2 seconds of fuel pump, engine cranks but won't fire. I've not got a copy of 2009 owners manual (as never supplied by the dealer to the previous owner):
    - the normal neutral and oil light are on whilst the engine cranks, as is the FI light. This stays on for a couple of seconds after you stop pushing the start button
    - checked the fuses, including the 40 and 25 amp fuses down below, all seem okay
    - I've fitted some SW Motech engine bars last week, but didn't crush the lamba sensor wire, and the bike started afterwards fine
    - I'm not sure about the immobiliser operation, as not got the manual and assuming there is one fitted...Any known problems there (?)
    - the bikes not been run properly for 9 days, but battery is currently on charge. I have a spare which I may try later. Not convinced this is a problem (unless someone knows otherwise ?)

Any thoughts or comments welcome, in particular on how the immobiliser might be working
  2. Alex_RO

Alex_RO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bet is on the battery being the culprit. Mine died in front of the dealer :norton (last year). Went there to pick some farkles, no signs of battery trouble before. Picked up a fresh battery on the spot and all is well.

Gotta give it credit, perfect timing :freaky.
  3. malcra

malcra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just tried jumping it from the van (on the old battery); will change to new battery shortly, but it seems to be fueling or something that's preventing a spark (immobiliser)*

* this is the first bike I've had with one and given all the problems people I know have had with them (not just GS owners) I am wary of them
  4. Alex_RO

Alex_RO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine doesn't have an immobiliser (2007 ADV). To be fair, my previous bike (Yamaha) had the_immobiliser thingie so it came with a master red key (which was the only way to key other spare keys) and 2 regular keys. I donno it it's the same with newer KTMs.

Just in case though, have you tried the backup key ?

Mind you, i'm still betting on the battery...

Oh yeah, basic silly troubleshooting: got gas ?
  5. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 09 should have the third orange programming key and a second black key
    I would try both black ones, but not the orange one unless doing the reprogramming of the black ones.
  6. malcra

malcra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    okay, onto the 2nd battery, but still no joy. Also tried both black keys. Basically same sequence (which i could film i guess), Neutral and Oil light after the 2 second blip on turning on. The FI light comes on during crank over, and remains on for a second or so.

What do you get in soft 32 and dat 10 showing just after trying to crank it over.

There is fuel (just put in another 5 litres to make sure).

Am i wishing that I'd stayed with a carb bike ? Of my other bikes, the newest is 1987....:-)
  7. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the immobilizer light or the FI light flashing a sequence/code?
  8. malcra

malcra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    no, there isn't a sequence code coming from either....more investigations today
  9. ruta40ar

ruta40ar ready to raid

Oddometer:
    San Telmo, Balcarce, Esquel, o la ruta......
    hello: I hand an 2007 990 S (now an 990 R...) and suddenly at 6000km the fuel pump broke-
    A friend had similar problem with 2008 990 black, with high temperature returning from Formosa fun slower and slower when the engine was hot. At the end of the trip Moto altavista replace the fuel pump

Richard
    0054-9-11-5857-4685
    SAN TELMO
  10. malcra

malcra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So problem solved. It seemed that the previous owner had removed the LH fuel tank when fitting some aux electric kit and when replacing it, the high-pressure fuel connector (which run at 3.5 bar) than runs from the fuel pump to the throttle bodies had not been fully pushed home (ie not clicked into place).

Hence it worked initially, but as it came loose, the plunger on the male connector came out and stopped the fuel flow (hence no fuel spraying everywhere, and why none was getting to the throttle bodies).
  11. dougerbugger

dougerbugger n00b

Oddometer:
    I just had the exact same problem on my '07 990. Shut the bike off after a ride, everything was fine. Went out a few days later, it refused to start. Checked the usual suspects- nothing. I had given up and was ready to pay the price at the KTM dealer service dept . Then I came across this fabulous thread! I ran back out to the garage, peered up/ under the tank, and sure enough the dang fuel line quick connect had came loose! It was getting pinched between the motor mount and tank, causing the connector to open. Re-routed between motor mount so it has some slack, plugged it back in solidly, and bingo! It fired up instantly!! So, thanks malcra , you saved me a pile of cash! :D
  12. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds line my issue.

Will check as soon as I get up and out to the garage.
  13. Subutai

Subutai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The click link won't connect if in the wrong position. You can also successfully pull the fuel line off from the throttle bodies without noticing, like I did. If you seem to have too much slack or trouble with the fuel line fitting between the tank and the frame, this is the likely cause.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694024