Virginia dual sport trails

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by [TASF]Overkill, May 15, 2011.

1. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    Obviously pretty me-centric, but no one else sends me info. :-)

Some of the GWNF motor vehicle use maps in Google Earth. Kinda handy sometimes. I add maps as I need them.
    https://www.advmapper.com/kmz/MVUM.kmz

General dual sport trails, official and otherwise.
    https://www.advmapper.com/kmz/dualsport-trails.kmz
    (Or if you can't be bothered with Google Earth, try this website.

I am trying to complete this one MVUM map at a time. Working on 30 right now.

--Update 6/13/2012--

I am moving all of my mapping over to OpenStreetMaps.org, as the mapping will then be part of a much larger dataset. With a bit of the data in OSM and quite a bit of futzing around with a toolset called "Mapnik", I've created this:
    [dead link]

That's MVUM 29 (I think, can't remember) which I'm using as an offline test. My first phase is to replace the MVUM with a similar-in-appearance but more robust and easy to read collection of maps. This is the first step towards that. My second phase is to present that MVUM-formatted map as a slippy map, like Google Maps, and as part of a global dataset. Then I'll work on one formatted to match the Nat Geo maps, and color coded for trail condition. All of this will be dynamically updated based on info in OSM, meaning all ADVers in all states and countries can use it and contribute to it. Quite a time investment, but, woo. :-)

--Update 5/1/2013--
    Forest service updated the MVUM. It doesnt suck anymore!
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/maps-pubs/?cid=fsbdev3_000547
    shalbleib and hooligan998 like this.
  2. Farkle_Adict

Farkle_Adict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New here Lunking for a while now. glads to see someone DS in the state of VA. Going to give this post a bump and Thanks for the GPS maps!!
    RideN likes this.
  3. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    I humbly add a bit of info:
    Some of those trails are easier than others. I am a newbie and handled, say 520 no problem with an R12 GS with stock tourances. But based on all I've heard, Shoe Creek would be out of the question.
  4. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    Yeah, on my maps I have things color coded.... green is easy, blue is intermediate, red is advanced.

Shoe Creek in my Google Earth file is definitely red. :-) If you don't have Google Earth, there's a link in the first post that is a decent viewer of my KML file. Shoe creek specifically is here. 520 is right here. Good stuff! :-)

The US Government MVUM is pretty worthless to tell you what kind of trail you're seeing.
  5. Farkle_Adict

Farkle_Adict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!

Just getting my feet wet here. Loads of reading to do.
  6. Stooge11

Stooge11 Stuck in Suburbia.

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

New here but not to riding. Looking to take my 8 yr old son on an overnight riding trip. I'm on an 03 DRZ-400S and my son is on an 01 DS 80. Looking to stay Friday night in hotel and ride all day Saturday. I have an early flight on Sunday.

Any suggestions ? Not really interested in Slades or long travel. Mountains would be cool; however Will is somewhat new to a clutch so aggressive stuff is out of the question.

Riding with kids rocks!

Tanks guys
  7. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    It's going to be a little difficult riding around Va with a kid on his own bike, that takes the "dual sport" aspect out of things. I know of very few offroad-specific areas open to the public in Virginia. Most of the riding (including really rough roads like Shoe Creek) are only open to street legal vehicles. Only thing I know to check out is the Terrapin and Rattlesnake trail. However, since it's "one of the few" offroad only trails, it's kind of crowded and scary.

You can see them here:
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gma...t2&z=15&label=off&directions=off&coord=latlng
  8. davidwsmithpe

davidwsmithpe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the US Forest maps, what do the 'P' stand for?

How did you overlay it onto Mappingsource with the correct scale?

Ride on.

David
  9. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    David,

The "P" annoys the crap out of me... I interpret it as "public non-forest roads". But it obscures the actual road number. Consider "P" to be paved boring stuff. :-)

I saved the MVUM's per page as low color, high resolution PNG files. Then I added it in Google Earth as an image overlay, distorted it around until it lined up with Google Earth's lines. Kind of a PITA... But has been very useful for the maps I've done so far. Unfortunately, having all of them enabled really pisses off Google Earth. It's a shame I don't have some real GIS type software, or at least Google Earth Pro.

I need to update this, as I've found a few more trails. Woo.
  10. schoops

schoops n00b

Oddometer:

I thought the 'P' was for parking areas at trail heads?
  11. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    Nah, on the MVUM's for Virginia, every time they print out a public road number, whether highway or what, they for some reason obscure the number with a P.
  12. Scipior1200gs

Scipior1200gs Wandering

Oddometer:
    Great maps, thank you for putting these together.
  13. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
  14. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    NIce,

but learn from this part.!!!!!
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16414013&postcount=9
    mapnik style is made.

Allroad is DS is ADV, for motorcycles. With zooming in you see also witch tracks and paths are closed.
    Open DS green line, with black borderline tracks, with brown borderlines paths. Unpaved
    Closed DS red blocks,with black borderline tracks, with brown borderlines paths. Unpaved.

De Garmin version (for on a GPS and in mapsource and bascamp) have a special mkgmapstyle for DS. (motorcycles)
    It is also routable, and choose more the tracksand paths.

What new tags have you made?
    In OSM data to make this happen,

Or have you made only relations on the track/path (highways)parts from the trails.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.6072&lon=-79.3778&zoom=14&layers=M
    searched from that other map a part with ADV track
    and looked how it is tagged

I use JOSM, i like it much more, as a background you can use bing maps to line up te way.
    Then you can also use your own map ( when online) as a background i use the TMS of allroadmap too

When you use common tags for..... , not adv drivers like walkers bikers, can make new tracks and path, so that not only adv driver who tag in OSM with JOSM or Potlatch 2 expand the map.

In our country we are mostly tagging.
    Because of the signs
    Vehicle=no
    or
    Motor_vehilce=no
    or
    Motorcycle =no

because lots of tracks paths are drawn in by people who does not drive motorcycles.

See the online allroadmap in firefox or chrome ( IE does not work well )
  15. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Unfortunately, maybe because I'm in the U.S., AllRoadMap's slippy map is too slow for me to get a good idea of it, but I understand it from your description. That's basically one of the things I'm aiming for. Thanks!

As for the tags... The MVUM that I view only has a few trail designations. Roads open to highway legal vehicles only, roads open to all vehicles, trails open to vehicles 50" or less in width, and trails open to motorcycles only. This is pretty easy to capture with some of the basic tags for permissive modes of travel. Tracks... Surfaces... maxwidth... date_on / date_off... etc.

I have added/proposed the key:dirtbike:scale tag. That's probably the only exotic tag I'm using.

I will likely get into relations so that tracks within the Forest Service boundaries are counted properly as Forestry Roads.

My primary goal is to redo the really crappy MVUM though. :-) It just happens that I'm pursuing in a way that all of the work can benefit other projects too.
  16. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You tried it in firefox/chrome

Do you have mapsource on the PC?
    Or basecamp?

Just take the Garmin version on the allroad site. Under the tab Garmin, you see:

04 Oktober 2011

and install it, but you must have mapsource on the PC!!!!!!!!

You can get mapsource for free, if you first install basecamp and then the update for mapsource

I have work together with the man behind allroadmap, so I know about the mkgmapstyle he used for rendering the allroad garmin map.

I know, need some finetuning, mostly on the points and polygon.
    But ways are more important.

You see the typ we used: unpaved roads are GREEN. They pop out on the map ;-)
  17. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    I don't have a Garmin or any Garmin software, unfortunately!
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does not matter, i gave you the links. Fortunately.
    You can install it on your PC and see how it looks like.

Think, that a lot of people have have a Garmin Device for outdoor activity.

After several years mapsource, i bought a device too.
    And have allroadmap on my motorcycle.

A another thing is that you also can install the free OPENMTBmap for your area. Also using OSM data.
    And see how that looks like. Read this website!!!!!!!!

Also you can use OSM world routable to install use firefox/chrome for this webpage.

What do you want to make, a online version or a version for on the PC/tablet and GPS.

What important is knowing the roads, who are closed for ADV.
  19. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    (Farnsworth) Good news everyone! (/Farnsworth)

The Motor Vehicle Use Map for the GWNF has been updated. Of immediate utility is the fact that public road labels arent obscured anymore. Makes those maps more useful!
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/maps-pubs/?cid=fsbdev3_000547

Bad news is that Im still working on a renderer. Having some issues related to my cheap hardware, but i did buy a relevant domain name.

Riding season has started here, but my usual riding buddies are AWOL so i cant really run off on my own to do more mapping. Hoy.
  20. pglc

pglc 2B1ask1

Oddometer:
    Keep me in mind in August if you need a partner to ride and map.