bostonsr Just weight

Oddometer:
    finally...:clap

abe

Attached Files:

4. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think there's a fixer upper in Orange County available with an extra room and a space for a GS.
    :lol3
  5. thejosh

thejosh Chump

Oddometer:
    count me in. i'll talk my pansy roommates into getting back on their bikes for this too(they keep whining about it being "cold outside" whatever the hell that means).
  6. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    I just wrote my city and state reps. As far as a protest rally. On a weekend is not nearly as effective as during the week. The problem with during the week is that most of us work during the hours City Hall is open. Writing all the parties is by far the best bet. Though I think the Mayor's office and your council person is the best bet http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml Not sure what the state has to do with this as far as say in the law.
  7. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Urbancowboy and I met up for lunch today and happened upon a completely ADV-worthy Honda Transalp or maybe Africa Twin (I'm not up on my dual sport Hondas and this thing had no markings other than the Honda embossed on the clutch cover) parked down by the courts in the lower Manhattan/Chinatown area.

Great city bike, all the plastics scratched all to hell, looked like it had seen some good times. Belong to anybody on here? No ADV sticker but it sure looked like it needed one. :D
  8. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 99% sure it's a TA and not an AT. The AT was never imported although some TA guys have modified them to look like AT.

I always see one on a pickup on Greenwich just a few blocks from the Ear, I bet you that's the one you saw.
  9. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was definitely a Transalp, after posting that I happened into another thread that had a pic of a Transalp and that's definitely what we saw. Cool bike.
  10. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice thing about the TA is that it's a dual cyl. They maintain their value more than the Tengai. They were imported in the late 80s and early 90s I think (Rich can confirm this).

Here's a pic of the bigger and newer TA: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6404875#post6404875

On another note, I saw some Triumph waterproof boots this weekend, you ever look into them? Know anything about them? I need to get a pair of waterproof boots and I looked at the Sidi, Alpinstars & Triumph. I liked the Triumph boot because it doesn't look like a MX boot (like the ones Bobby wears :evil ).

Thanks.
  11. jdaniele

jdaniele Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi John I have been lookig at the Garene balance oiled 2008 model pricey though best I found was 315 smacks.
  12. Ginzer

Ginzer Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer:
    Here's the actual '08 TA. Looks somewhat "versysified" this year, but still nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rmkC7GmWfE

John,

I've been doing research on this too. The balance looks like a great DS boot. However, I also like the Sidi discos, Setup Adventure, and the Gaerne Explorers (only $145), and the old standby: 'Stich Combats. None seem to be totally waterproof until you treat them (the setups have a membrane).

I'm leaning towards the Sidi's or CL's. More money, but you can keep replacing the soles.

OTH, my Carhart workboots offer little/no protection, but they're very comfortable and very waterproof. If you want to go that route, I'd suggest Pop's in Brooklyn.
  13. jdaniele

jdaniele Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dawg check out this review on the balance the older model did not have that unobtainum liner system the 2008 supposedly has more ankle protection too. The review talks about how water proof they are. I was going for the discos or these decided on the balance based on many good review's

http://www.atvillustrated.com/?q=node/382
  14. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    I did A LOT of boot research now being the whiney vegan I am it is harder since I don't wear leather. But from almost every source I have seen the boot to get is the Sidi Discovery's they will last you forever, offer decent protection and are pretty water-proof. Of course they are leather so I didn't buy them, but IMO they're the best.
  15. LusterBroil

LusterBroil Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Looks good :evil Not familiar with the brand but it looks like both a grip safety and a trigger safety. Is it DA only?

16. jdaniele

jdaniele Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rich I agree and was going for the discos but something steered me to the balance maybe it was the color kinda looks like I was in the dirt from a distance.
  17. Ginzer

Ginzer Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer:
    Well, one other thing to consider is that I have short, wide feet. I hear that Sidis are narrow. Although, I've heard conflicting reports that the combat lites (made by Sidi) are wider. One other consideration is that 90% of the time, I'm riding around NYC, so the boots need to be comfy and inconspicuous.

JD,

You have the brown oiled ones, not the black ones, correct? How wide do they seem to run and how do they seem for DS riding? They are actually intended for trials riding.
  18. jdaniele

jdaniele Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. bostonsr

bostonsr Just weight

Oddometer:
    Springfield Armory

yah DA only, grip safety and trigger safety...the grip safety is not at all noticeable, there's no "on-off"-ness or click to it...it just goes away when you grasp the grip.

there's also a "loaded chamber" indicator that pops up above the action (but doesn't interrupt the sights) as well as a "striker/cocked" pin that sticks out the back...so you can know the status of the gun by feel.

comes with 9+1 and 12+1 clips as well.

been voted "gun of the year" a few times and passes the "glock torture test" with flying colors.

will not discharge when thrown against a brick wall.

goes bang every time you pull the trigger. i'm very happy with the purchase, accurate and manageable recoil...disappears for concealed carry. definitely a a pocket rocket.

field strips in seconds...4 main parts.

abe
  20. uxc

uxc adventure nerd

Oddometer:
    I had my court date today. I hired a lawyer ($350) to help me with the case. He was able to negotiate with the prosecutor to dismiss three of the tickets and change one to a count of "dangerous driving" which carries no points. I did have to pay a fine and surcharges which added up to $439. Slightly painful, but much better than it started out. I'm rather glad to have that episode over.

oh and FYI, if you are pushing your motorcycle, you are still technically "operating a motor vehicle", at least according to NJ law.