Garmin 60 CSx....opinions?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mrfallover, Dec 16, 2007.

1. mrfallover

mrfallover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend has a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx he wants to sell me, I would you it for off road and dual sporting. Can someone give me some feedback. the price is right, but if it is not the correct one, whats the point.
    I am also concerned if it can take abuse.

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. punk_emo_tx

punk_emo_tx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the right price for one of those?
  3. mrfallover

Oddometer:
    Price is not the issue, it is weather it is a good unit for my purposes.
    Thanks,
    steve
  4. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. This is one of the best units for offroading! Lots of memory. Good color screen. Excellent on handlebars with Ram Mount or Tourtech. Lots of recent threads on 60cx and 76cx.........A GPS you can grow with. About $275-$350 street price with no software or 2GB chip.
  5. MTRREF

MTRREF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The price range quoted is for a NEW unit and there is a $50 rebate right now. So the used price should be significantly lower than that. :evil

Jim
  6. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    purchased mine a couple months ago. I have used it in my cage as well. Really love this thing. I have the ram mount for both car and bike.
    It poped out of the holder once off roading, but my fault. I had it set too close to my front brake line. It caught the holder and it poped out. The strap saved it from hitting the gound. Since I have adjusted it, no problems at all.
  7. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Great unit. Tough as can be, truly waterproof. I mount mine with RAM mounts and never had any problems.

I use mine on dirt bikes, in cars and on trains and planes.
  8. bombarde

bombarde DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer:
    It's $299 on Amazon before $50 rebate. You'd still need software to make it more useful. I ordered one for handheld use a couple of days ago. I use a Zumo on the bike and 2610 in the cage.
  9. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I fourth (or is it fifth?) the opinion that the 60CSx is awesome. Mine got me back to the truck after dark Saturday when I got, erm, confused! :D

I would highly recommend getting the hardwire kit from Cycoactive.com as you'll never have to worry about running out of battery juice.
  10. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. A good usable unit!
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    60's have a problem with falling out of RAM mount. Look for threads below. Several users have lost their units on the trail.
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I was one of those, but on further analysis I think I hooked the unit with my front brake line. I did a really rough rocky ride (Ozarks Fall Color Tour) on the Husky in Oct and had no problems.
  13. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    I have a 60csx also, it's my first. If you have middle aged eyes, like me, you might prefer a larger display. :bluduh
    The base map is almost useless for the boonies, any map discs included with this deal? :ear
  14. ride on joe

ride on joe More Gas, More Beer

Oddometer:
    yep its great. use a 2 gig card to put the topo west on it and downloaded City Navigator. when im on road, great map. off road i switch the topo maps and cant beat it..

joe
  15. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also a new 60cx owner, though I haven't got to play with mine yet - Christmas gift. I have the Ram cradle & mount on my dirtbike for it and a 2gb card waiting to *hopefully* load CN8 on it and try and scarf a copy of R&R from somewhere to use off-road.

While mounting the Ram stuff, I seen the potential of the front brake line hooking the antenna of the unit and rotated it back enough that it shouldn't be an issue - but I can definately see where this would happen.

16. FrostedFlake

FrostedFlake Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Oddometer:
    Bought one last year and liked it enough to replace it a few weeks ago after the original got lost in the Baja 1000. Not a problem with falling out of the mount, but with a home-made bracket breaking during the race. :(: Anyway, excellent unit for offroading and dual sporting when the appropriate maps are loaded. Display is a bit small, but still very useable.
  17. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    It is a terrific unit for what you want it for. I use mine all the time and am quite happy with it. The only complaint I might have is that I cannot use lithium batteries in it. Page 2 of the users manual says that those batts may have an initial voltage in excess of 1.5 volts that can cause the unit to shut off. Mine does exactly that. Too bad. Alkaline batts do not last very long in freezing temps. ( I use it for hiking, too. Hardwired to the bike otherwise) :vardy

Other than that, it's a nice bit of kit. Flog it in the flea market if it doesn't fit the bill.
  18. mrfallover

Oddometer:
    Thanks you all for the feedback, exactly what I was hoping for.
    Regards,
    Steven
  19. GSaint

GSaint n00B, sorta

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, on a related note. Some of the EBay stores "warn" against buying reconditioned units from "non-authorized" dealers since the waraanty, access to downloads, customer service will not be available.

Is this accurate, or is it a way for them to charge $60 to $100 more than their competition?

As long as I'm asking, what's the better unit for tracks, storgae and downloads, the 60Csx or the older 2610. There's so much data, it's tough to sort through for a newbie to GPS.

I appreciate the guidance
  20. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    the battery terminals may fail through fatigue if you are on a thumper and ride offroad a lot.

The hardwire kit fixes this because you can run it without the batteries in.

I've dropped mine a couple of times onto concrete without any issues.

The satellite pickup is amazing, really good in heavily forrested areas

I use the tourance lockable mounting, I found the Ram got in the way and was hard to keep in the one spot over time

rossco