The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Dog_River

Dog_River Stubborn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am going with soft panniers on my RD04. Is there any other options for racks other than Rickycross ? I want to keep the panniers low and forward as much as possable. Any photos would be great. I am going to make my own panniers and top bags.

I am about to pull the trigger and order lower and upper crash bars from RickyCross. does anyone have any advise ? I have problems with the Rickycross web site. I find it really hard to navigate and find what I am looking for. I have emails back and forth but the photos on his web site don't download.

I am getting ready for a trip to South America and have to get this thing sorted out and set up the way I want.

Thanks

Dog_River
  2. Byke_Baikonur

Byke_Baikonur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remus Revolution Titan))))

Very Easy, the best sound, does not warm up. He very likes me!! ))

I am sorry after my ICQ translator))):D
  3. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, nobody else makes rear guards anything like those from Riky Cross.

You could use a standard set of pannier racks and just hang your soft luggage on/over them

Alternatively, you could just use soft luggage and do away with any rear metalwork altogether............

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

As for the front crashbars fro your RD04 - the Riky Cross ones mount to the weak front bashplate mounting points - so I would avoid them.

Have you had a look at the SW Motech Crashbars?

[​IMG]

As you are quite handy with metalwork, you can make the Riky Cross Upper Crashbars fit to them.

Good luck with Riky Cross :evil:evil - if you need any help let me know :D
  4. Dog_River

Oddometer:
    I have pondered all the option. I think I will go with the rickycross soft pannier racks. The H&B standard racks that fit my bike (RD04) are to high and to far back to work for me. I know what you mean about the RC lower crashbars but I want the uppers as well so I thought they would fit better than using SW lowers and RC uppers. maybe it would work, I have no idea? or does SW make an upper similar to RC ??

Thanks for the input.

Dog_River

5. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    I have the Riky Cross rear guards on my Tenere, they do work well with soft bags

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just FYI, all of the Riky Cross items I have bought have needed some 'persuasion' to fit...........:evil:lol3:evil:lol3

[​IMG]

No-one else makes the upper crashbars as they are more form over function......... I had them on my RD07A, and whilst I liked the look of them, they won't offer too much in the way of protection as they mount to the headlight subframe and the crashbar lowers - OK in a static drop, but that's all.......

[​IMG]

If you look at the bars that mount onto the top bar of the lower crashbars - this is where you would need to adjust the bar on the upper crashbars - the mounting hardware isn't altered at all, just the down tube. If you're spending the money on new crashbars I really would advise going for set with the stronger lower mounting points.

[​IMG]

G-Funk has gone through the same process - I think his lowers are Hepco & Becker, which he has put the Riky Cross uppers onto. There are pics etc in this post and this one - also, don't forget that the headlight guard is not included with the upper crashbars - you have to order this seperately.
  6. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    I like these....

[​IMG]
  7. Dog_River

Oddometer:
    Locorider...... where are these frames from ? I like the look of them. Does the manufacturer make them for a RD04 ? Could you post a photo from the side so I can see how they are positioned ?

Thanks for the input Locorider

Stormforce8..... I thought G-Funks uppers and lowers where both from RC ? maybe not. RCs misconfigering is quite consistent from all the research I am doing. I have dialog going with RC which is why I asked for RC advise ! I hate the way they identify the items, makes no sense to me and confusing. Thanks again Storm !

Dog_River

8. Eduardo Cabreira

Eduardo Cabreira The "7"

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!

Here are some pics of my new ride.

It´s a 1991 RD04 and I´d like to know a few things since I found some diferences between my previous RD07 and this one.

How do I adjust the pre-load on the rear shock?

What pressure should I use on the front forks?

Is the rear rim the same? (I saw on the specs that RD04 uses a 130 rear tire and the RD07 uses a 140.)

Can a RD07 engine be fitted to a RD04?

Enougth talk.

Pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here´s a small video :

Africa Twin RD04
  9. KT1

KT1 RD07A - A like Adventure

Oddometer:
    Hi !
    The SW-Motech crashbar the best !!!

I try...
  10. Andy G

Andy G 2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer:
    1. remove the shock, adjust the preload, put it back, same as on the RD07. (the little screw on the RD07 won't adjust the preload but the damping, I don't know if it exists on the RD04)

2. none

3. no, RD04 rim is narrower. Sorry, don't know the specs by heart

4. basically yes, but:
    RD07 engine fits without modification if you stay with the RD04 air duct
    RD07a engine should fit if you put the RD04 / RD07 pickups to the engine or use the RD07a ignition parts like CDIs, coils...
    carbs will fit to the engine, RD07 airduct won't fit to the RD04 tank

I didn't change a RD04 engine yet, so I'm not 100% sure, pls correct me if necessary.

Cheers, Andy

PS: it will possibly happen that the next European ADVRally will take place in Portugal, would be nice to see another AT...
  11. Africa_Twin

Africa_Twin Africa Twiner

Oddometer:
    !!!!!!!

Just let me know when and where and I'll sum up the guys of Africa Twin Club Portugal to try and be there. There's about 400 members registered, now :freaky
  12. Andy G

Andy G 2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer:
    sorry, I don't know anything yet, just rumors...
    Follow the European section here on the forum, it should come up in the next months.

Cheers, Andy
  13. Eduardo Cabreira

Eduardo Cabreira The "7"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answers!

My RD07a had an adjustable preload nut on the shock. I thougth the remote gas cilinder had the same function.

And about the front fork...what are those nipples for on the top?!:wink:

Oh God...I´m so happy to be back on an AT...it´s such a wonderful bike!

I´ll meet you guys if you come to Portugal for the European ADVRally.:clap:freaky
  14. Andy G

Andy G 2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer:
    AFAIK they are for letting the air out (at least that's what I use them for).

It's also said that you can add up to 1 bar of pressure to support the forks, but how to make sure you got the same pressure in both forks? I'd be afraid to blow the seals.

Cheers, Andy
  15. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
    I had no reliability issues with the seals as I rode my XT for years (tonns of off-road as well) with 1bar before switching to WP springs. The only problem I had with air in the forks was that I did not know how much it sucked until I switched to WP and no air. I used a pressure equalizer, but today I wonder about if it is so much necessary looking at the forks of the new KX250F. It uses one spring design, which is in one of the forks only.
  16. larshoejberg

larshoejberg .

Oddometer:
  17. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    Im non sure Happy Trails makes one for the AT. But they are strong!

18. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    G-Funk's are definitely not RC lowers - IIRC they are H&B crashbars

For the RD04:
    Upper Crashbars - part # 112C (available either Black, White, or Red)
    Headlight Guard - part # 160C (available either Black or White)

Lower Crashbars - here's where it gets confusing - 'cos you've got part # 109C, 110C, or 111C, - and all of them utilise the front bashplate mounting point :huh

Ah yes...........welcome to the world of Riky Cross - IMHO he does make the best crashbars by far for the Africa Twin RD07 / RD07A, but I've always been puzzled why he doesn't offer the same front mounting points for the RD04

These are for the RD07 / RD07A - 22mm top tube, 30mm bottom tube, with additional side bars:

[​IMG]
  19. Dog_River

Oddometer:
    I spoke with Happy Trails and if I can find a RD04 that they can use to measure up some racks they would make me some. So, if anyone is around Boise and does not mind ??? let me know.

Dog_River
  20. VBreeze

VBreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I fully agree.
    Crashed a year and a half ago on black ice riding through the Parpaillon Tunnel: went down pretty hard and honestly thought I had wrecked her.
    When I emerged from the tunnel I had a quick look and... not a scratch!
    Worst thing was that I was riding at the front of about 30 other ATs and when I crashed I blocked everyone in the tunnel.
    Imagine falling down on the only slab of ice for miles (in the middle of July!) and trying to pick up your bike with 30 other guys behind you taking the piss... :ricky

PS and the way my bike is set up now, I would not trust any other crashbar on it...