Looking at the '06 Ulysses

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Cerk26, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Cerk26

Cerk26 ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Perfect! Can you give me a brief comparison between the two? Obviously the Buell looks like a much more comfortable riding position, something geared more towards some major miles, but how bad is the VFR vs the Buell? It's between these two bikes and I'm really torn at the moment. Like I said, I'm leaning heavily towards the Buell, but there are just so many more options for the VFR at amazing prices.
  2. Cerk26

Cerk26 ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, looking at a few more Ulysses out this way...some with all three bags, some with just two, some with none at all of course. How available are the factory hardbags at this point and what are the typical alternate options if I wanted to add a top bag after the purchase were I to get one with just the two side bags?
  3. Viking44

Viking44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to look long and hard to find new OEM hardbags in Feb. Eventually found a set in Flint, MI dealership. Used ones can be found regularly on Ebay though.

You may want to look into after-market bags. Happy Trails sells a set for our Uly's that have gotten rave reviews. Once you have the OEM racks you can buy almost any of the Hepco Becker bags. The OEM bags are the Journey's by HB. :deal
  4. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Cerk26

Cerk26 ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Looking now at an XT and it just may be the one. To be honest I prefer the look of the X just a bit, but most of my time is likely to be on the pavement and I can always swap fenders and slap on a headlight cage right!? I really have no preference between the two, it's more a matter of availability. I'm 6' so I think I'll fit on either just fine.

Just might have it back here tomorrow...and this one has all three bags:D
  6. Sharkguy

Sharkguy chain lube applier

Oddometer:
    No matter which one you pick I think you"ll be happy. I was originally looking at 06s because of the lower prices. Then the end came and I found a lightly used 09 for a good price. The newer Ulys have a bunch of upgrades over the 06 model. The luggage is a big plus if it's already there. Good luck!
  7. Viking44

Oddometer:
    The XT also has a lowered suspension over the X.
  8. Cerk26

Cerk26 ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Precisely what happened with me...I'm going to look at an '08 in the morning. Honestly, I'm just so excited to potentially (and finally) have a bike that makes actually PLANNING my dream trips as opposed to just dreaming about them a reality.:clap

I read up quite a bit here on the differences and really they seem pretty negligible, so long as the offroad isn't a big incentive...which for me, at least at this point, it's not. I'll gladly trade some on road prowess for a bit less on the dirty side. All 3 bags are a HUGE bonus for me as well.
  9. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind XT is lower, has the smaller forks / turning radius, & lighter duty rims. If none of that is relevent to your riding needs - XT is a good choice too. I like the xtra travel on X suspension - big diff on BAD roads.
  10. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    You can do a lot with an XT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Viking44

Oddometer:
    The lead up to my Uly purchase was so nerve racking. Couldn't wait to get on it. Barely gotten of it since. :rofl

Congrats on your pending purchase. The Buell Nation is a great bunch of people. BadWeB is a great resource.
  12. paul56

paul56 Usually gruntled

Oddometer:
    93,451 miles on my 06 as I write this. Still wouldn't trade it for anything else I have seen except maybe on 09.
  13. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:

Nice. :clap:clap:clap I hope my 06 Uly goes that long. 30K so far, belts,bearings and front isolator.
  14. Testcase

Testcase Not to be trusted

Oddometer:
    The Uly and I had a rocky start (because I'm foolishly optimistic about my riding and mechanical skills) but I love that bike. It's perfect for me.
  15. Cerk26

Cerk26 ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Well, BOUGHT THE '08 XT!!

Took it for a test blast and immediately found myself saying in my head "what the heck have I been doing the last few years!?":lol3 ...I've put this move to outright comfort and usable power off for far too long.

Left at about 6:30am this morning for the road trip to pick it up, got back in mid-afternoon. Already looking for aftermarket pipe options as I really want to open up the wonderful sound I know is in there. Pics forthcoming (if I have time between rides:D)
  16. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Ceramic coat the oem muffler and order a EBR ecm for your last gen beauty and skip the obnoxiously loud aftermarket mufflers offered for the XB's. Congratulations ! :thumb

996DL
  17. Viking44

Oddometer:
    Congrats!!! :clap

I felt the same way when I got mine. Why did I wait so long to purchase one of these babies? Best bike I've ever owned.
  18. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on keeping stock muff - It actually is designed to get the most from the 1203 Thunderstorm. All you get with aftermarket is more noise, but not much (if any) performance boost.
  19. Cerk26

Cerk26 ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    But oh how I like that particular kind of noise;)
  20. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, just wondering if you guys are including the Drummer muffler in the just more noise category?