The BMW HP2 Megamoto thread.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Joe Bar, Sep 27, 2008.

1. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty low, I'd say! Wasn't me.:cry
  2. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I'd go with the ktm 1290. I rode one around the block (following a dealer...). That thing is amazing.

On another note:
    My MegaMoto will be up for sale in the next week or so. Yes, it's an extremely special bike. But I just don't use it for its intended purpose anymore. I got back from a 2700 mile, weeklong road trip a couple weeks ago. It was fun, but highway stretches and long straight roads just kill me on this thing. And more importantly to me, I wanna go offroad. The mm is too rare to take offroad. I don't want to mess it up. Also, I'd like to use it to commute, but Vegas is horrible when it comes to bikes being tossed in the back of a pickup.

Anyways, I gotta clean it up next week when I have some time off, then it will be up for sale. If it sells, it sells. If not, that's fine too.
  3. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:

I decided I needed a faster bike after an Aprilia RSV4 was getting away on the straights because the MM was hitting the rev limiter in sixth - and a Panigale wasn't far behind.

I tried an S1000RR but the riding position didn't suit my back. The S1000R was fine, although aesthetically challenged, but didn't offer enough extra over the MM. I even tried a TL1000S but it wasn't as fast as I remembered them when they came out. Then I tried a Panigale and liked it but when it stood up during a roll on at 100mph I was sold. But I'll never sell the MM. It feels like a magic carpet compared with the brutality of the Panigale.

I also love the R100GSPD I've had since new, and I can ride it all day comfortably, which I can't say about the others. I'm just glad to have the luxury of being able to keep them all - as well as a couple of XR600s. I also like their looks - couldn't stand an ugly bike even if it was a good ride.
  4. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ugh. I've been looking for a Megamoto to buy, and ran across this one listed in Queens, NY free classifieds.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"> <TBODY> <TR> <TD>Description of Item: </TD></TR> <TR> <TD width="100%">2008 BMW R1200 HP2 MEGAMOTO, EXCELLENT CONDITION, 2ND OWNER, STORED IN GARAGED, CARBON SUB FENDER, K&N FILTER, LITHIUM BATTERY, FENDER ELIMINATOR, HAVE STOCK PARTS, RARE BIKE ONLY 107 SHIPPED TO USA. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Listed with less than 3k miles, and a really fantastic price. So I sent an email asking for more details, and received this reply:

The reason I selling the bike at this price because I bought the bike from USA and I moved to Italy. I have the documents but the I can't register the bike in Italy because the law doesn't let me. My only chance to sell this bike is to find a buyer in the US or in another country.

I can ship the bike to you and you can pay C.O.D (CASH ON DELIVERY).
    The transport will take 10 days(Air Cargo), after you receive the bike you have 2 days to inspect. When the inspection period ends, the shipping company will contact you and if there are any issues with the bike. If all is good, I'm sure it will be, they will help you with the transfer of ownership. If you are interested to buy the bike please send me a good cell number.

I'll send the pictures and full description today or tomorrow, please reply today.

Like they say, if it's too good to be true.......

SCAM!!!
  5. Under-Dog

Under-Dog n00b

Oddometer:
    I suggest you keep looking, I love mine.

UD
  6. joon

joon Calamari

Oddometer:
    Here's one fairly close to you.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/4629194100.html

Found mine in Tigard. Wonderful motorcycle, good luck!
  7. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. s&s

s&s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a megamoto yesterday, otherwise pretty happy but PO has removed the DB killers. I asked the dealer to get me new ones but it's still unclear if killers are available from BMW. But since the can is akrapovic, I suppose I should be able to get the killers from akra dealer if I know what to look for... So, the question is if anyone happens to know the akra part number for the killers? It seems V-TUV068 (OD 43mm / ID 28mm / Length 87 mm / Angle 26 deg ) might be quite close hit but since the killer is quite expensive I don't want to order just to see it doesn't fit.

And the pic, yesterday after wash & polish session:
    [​IMG]

Bike has 15 kkm (just a tad short of 10k miles), pretty clean but muffler finish is starting to show it's age. I need to think about refinishing at some point of time.

Traded in my loved R1200S, sorry to see it go but my wrists just can't take the punishment anymore... MM riding position is so much easier.
  9. air-cooled

air-cooled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G1z6BQ-o5aI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

last trackday of the season. riding with colleague on his street R. track is zandvoort in the netherlands
    nice day, 20 degrees, sony 100av cam and contis sport attack2 with 2.2 and 2.3 bar. doing 2:15s which is reasonable fast but still with lots of possibility's to improve, enjoy
  10. vixavaguba

vixavaguba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi colleague,

the original BMW part number for the muffler inserts is 71 60 7 726 187. Your dealer should be able to order them from German stock if they are not available in your country. Otherwise replace the dealer;-). The b. m. part number is taken form the official BMW EPC on the web.

To try to get the inserts from Akrapovic could be a disappointing experience because these exhaust systems are specifically tailored for BMW and the Akra dealer may even not be allowed to sell parts for these if he can get them at all.

But why make things complicated if not necessary. Btw the price for the set with mounting instructions should be around 70 to 80 Euro (Germany).

In worst case you could order the pipes via Internet. Enter the part number into a search engine and see how many opportunities you get to spend your money.

Kind regards
    Vixavaguba
  11. s&s

s&s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll wait for the word from the dealer, he sent an enquiry to Germany if the part is still available... I did a quick google search with then number you gave but not that many options turned up.

Pic from today's backroads ride... What can I say, WOW!
    [​IMG]
  12. vixavaguba

vixavaguba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The number is taken from the original BMW EPC provided by the company on the web: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html See under "Service" and then "Electronic Parts Catalogue". No prices are there unfortunately.

Once parts are no longer available or are replaced by a successor then these numbers are flagged accordingly. This does not apply in this case. But your dealer should know this and should be used to these details.

I tried the search before I wrote my proposal you to use a search engine and got around ten hits on the first result page only. Did not check the second and further. Of course I modified the part number a bit by removing all the spaces which are in there for better visibility only.

Kind regards
    Vixavaguba
  13. Under-Dog

Under-Dog n00b

Oddometer:
    Might be easier to get one made, they're quite simple as I remember.
  14. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine has a tiny tear, looking for either a stock seat or a stock looking seat cover... I can pay in Euro's and have it shipped to an address in Holland if any Euro riders have one :norton
    Thanks!
  15. szazbo

szazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hank, they are still available new. I got a new one last year. Got a smoking deal too (Ithought)
  16. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Why are you looking to replace the silencer baffles? I've just removed mine this weekend, and they only make a subtle difference in sound, even at higher revs. The smoothness in response is improved without them, especially upshifts.
  17. s&s

s&s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That did the trick, thanks.
  18. s&s

s&s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Original reason was that the law around here has started to gain interest in motorcycle noise, to the extent some of the patrol cars have been equipped for roadside db testing. If you get burned, only option to get the bike legally on the road again is to get it inspected and pass the noise test. That's when it's handy to have the db killers readily available...

Other reason is that I noticed yesterday my bike has the 3000 rpm vibration issue on 3rd and 4th gear, I read here it's caused by lean condition and can be cured or at least helped by installing the killers.
  19. Under-Dog

Under-Dog n00b

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running a Lithium Ion battery in their MM? If so, I'd be keen to hear about it.

UD
  20. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In case you didn't come across my postings on the subject, this was my experience:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338504&highlight=Ron50&page=4
    That same thread has a fair bit of other info on the problem.