1981 BMW R80GS - what are they worth?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Mr.Goose, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    100% perfect mechanical condition and 98% cosmetic score. White with only about 8500 miles on the clock. New tires and passes state inspection easily and completely original from what I can tell.

What are these worth or what have you seen them sell for?

I've seen rough ones and ones that have been ridden heavily off road, but this one is so nice I wonder if it should be taken off road, maybe too nice it is.
  2. aaronq

aaronq Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At first I thought you were describing the one I've been trying to buy from a coworker for the last year... I should've jumped on it 3 years ago when he said he wanted $3500 for it but I passed...stupid, stupid, stupid... Now he thinks he may ride it again someday even though it's been sitting, unridden for the last 5+ years.

not sure if $3500 is accurate for an early 80's 80GS or not though...
  3. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I missed one like that in Grand Junction six or seven years ago. Original owner, PD tank, low miles, solo seat, yada yada yada onandonandon... - $4500. :cry

But to answer the question, you'd probably be getting a good deal at $6K - I wouldn't be surprised it fetches a grand or two more.
  4. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    ditto!!!
  5. charliemik

charliemik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold mine about a year ago. 100% mechanical, 98% cosmetic, PD tank, Jesse luggage, about 70K showing on the clock. Got $6000 for it. It wasn't on the market very long.
  6. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Although I certainly do have R80GS lust, I can't help but think that the price is inflated by a multiple of the actual value by the mystique of the old skool adventure bike.

I guess the same can be said for any BMW, but man, some of the old GS prices..
  7. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I totally hear what you are saying, I would argue that actual value would be market value... so if it sells for $6K (or whatever) that is what it is worth..

That said, having owned both, The R80G/S is a better bike than the R100GS for what I do by a long shot.... and because many seems to agree, it costs more to get one :evil
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aside from "mystique," there's no reason that the G/S should command any higher of a price than any other early '80s airhead - about $3000-4000 depending on region, condition, and extra goodies. That said, apparently mystique is a pretty sought after feature as finding a G/S under $5000 that doesn't need a bunch of work is getting pretty tough.
  9. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I had reservations using that wording, but I definitely understand. Value, worth; can't decide how to word it. Is one of my /6's worth $3k? Probably. Is it much different than a GS? A little. Is the difference worth a multiple of the price, to me? No(t yet).
  10. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer:
    I posted this in another thread but it might be relevant in this one too:

Raven ended up with this dead stock '81 g/s with about 46K miles for under $4K. It has a new top end rebuild, a strong tranny, a dodgy electrical system (as it turns out), a (hideous) fairing, matching BMW bags, and a fresh rear main seal.

[​IMG]

Raven flew to NM, spent five days changing the rear main (twice) and other prep work, then rode it home to Maine.

Read about it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=gretchen

I know all this because I sold Gretchen (the g/s) to him.

It's OK because I have another '81 g/s (Rosko) in pieces waiting for me out in the shop.

Added: Could I have gotten more than $4K? Maybe. Never will know.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  11. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    WHOA that fairing is pretty bad. Is that off an old RT?
  12. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like the ones on K###RTs. +1 - yikes. :eek1
  13. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I paid $3,900 4 years ago. I bought it with 50,000 miles on it and it currently has 66,000+. I don't know about 100% mechanically, but mine is a daily runner. I fix things as I have to. Cosmetically mine will win no beauty contest, but few G/S models used as intended will. Are you looking to ride this bike or keep it pristine?
  14. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer:
    That is a Parabellum. I call it the Elephant Man.

Here's a better photo of the Elepant Man.

[​IMG]

You will have to ask The Raven what's happened to his bike. I do know he liked the fairing on his chilly ride to Maine in April, but he removed it immediately when he got home.
  15. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is the R100GS which is fetching the big money in Oz - I posted on a G/S price thread ridiculing my local dealers asking price of $12,200- for a admittedly low milage 93 GS , and the first local to read my post shot straight round and bought it - it was only in the showroom two days.

The G/S s dont fetch even half that but they usually have a claimed 200,000 + km on the clock and look as if they have been round the clock a couple of times more.
  16. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    The price of an R80G/S is way overinflated.
    It's like the price of diamonds. People pay what they pay for them not because that's what they are worth. but rather that's what they are selling for and since people want them and are willing to pay for them. Well you get the idea.

As for the price of the bike described by the OP
    I'd say anything under $4,000 would be considered a deal to someone with the hots for a G/S.

I wouldn't buy it unless it was under $3,000.
  17. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    As has already been said - it's worth what the market will bear. They seem to be desirable items and are valued and it shows in the price.

Sure, there are deals - if you're willing to wait and watch it's always possible to find one for less. But - the going price is about double what the others are worth. You can't find one new, and that's what they go for used.

They are a simple bike, lighter, smaller, and more maneuverable than its more expensive following generations (except for OZ). It's got no driveshaft issues, the transmission doesn't break it's foot peg castings if it tips over, the final drives don't self destruct, etc.

The value started going up when world travellers snatched them up ten or fifteen years ago - they'd get one for three to five grand, spend another five grand in upgrades and go ride the world. They're a simple and rugged bike (with limitations just like anything else) that can be easily fixed in third world countries - there's a lot to be said for a machine like that! Especially one that's used in remote areas where if it breaks down, your life could depend on it getting repaired.
  18. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    update for an old thread ... a mint G/S like described in OP is now bringing $10k+ in USA .. with folks asking really stupid prices in UK like $25k usd for low mileage mint G/S.

essentially doubling value in four years since this thread started ... due to folks trying to nail one down from a finite supply.
  19. Spark Plug

Spark Plug Low on compression

Oddometer:
    I paid 5K for my 85 a year and a half ago with 52K miles on it. A little high but it came with a R100 tank, the stock tank, spare transmission, spare final drive, stock and orange seats and the factory hard bags, also a bunch of small spares and tools.

I figure it was a little high but at the time all I could find were either questionably restored bikes that were in the 7K-10K range or beaters that would take a couple grand to make reliable. That being said, I have zero complaints, funnest bike I have ever owned.
  20. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    $5k for a G/S with 52k miles would have been laughed at according to feedback in this thread four years ago :D
    I've noticed prices have changed even in the last two years .. this is according to number of R80G/S available for sale on Craigslist. used to be one could find G/S on national searches regularly. now days it's getting harder and harder to find. vs R100GS are still plentiful with pages of hits from all points on craigslist.

personally think you did great! nice score on parts ... been scounging spare major parts since getting my 81 G/S and now have a spare transmission and a spare set of wheels, including the very hard to find 3 lug rear (not for sale) .. odds are your final drive will last life of G/S.