Full-Synthetic 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by aiMhi, Apr 10, 2012.

1. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I regret having to do this but due to unresolvable issues with leaking bottles I will no longer be selling Royal Mfg. oil. In addition the increase in shipping a 25LB product is out of control so it does not make sense for me to put effort into this.

If you still have an interest in the product please visit www.RoyalMfg.com
    or contact the rep (Terry) directly at 918-924-6429.

Thank you,
    Bern
  2. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    "By accident, I was introduced to Monarch Motorcycle oil by Royal Mfg. At the beginning of a multi-day adventure motorcycle ride on my Honda XR650R (know to 'eat' and 'tear up' oil), I accidentally left my oil fill cap off the bike and started it. Well, oil flew everywhere....and I had no idea how much I had lost. A fellow rider (employee of Royal), happened to have some quarts of their synthetic 15w50 in his pickup. Not wanting to mix oils, by simply topping off, I drained the remaining oil I had and poured in the Monarch oil. After three, very hard days of riding, climbing high mountain passes, pushing the engine to very high temps....I didn't notice that I had burned any oil at all. Consumption was near zero. I have since put the oil in my VStrom (which has always burned oil on 75 mph interstate runs) and haven't noticed any consumption either. The bikes run really smooth and I am very happy with Monarch oil. Also, with the price at just over $6 a quart, it beats the heck out of $8, $10 and $12 oils. It will be poured in all my bikes from this point forward."

John Lane - Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders, President

Thank you for the feedback John. Appreciate the testimonial and the business. I challenge others to review the spec sheets and compare flash points etc. against the other top makes. You will find that it performs just as well if not better.
    Thanks,
    Bern
  3. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    Sounds promising! A Note: The MSDS links for the 20/50 semi synth and the 15w50 Super Syn are disabled. I really would like to thoroughly read this before buying.
  4. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    I encourage everyone to give this oil a try. You will not be sorry. This oil is a very high grade synthetic and their 15w50 will easily cross over to bikes asking for 10w40 (like my VStrom).

Couple of reasons to use Monarch 15w50 Motorcycle.....

1. The purchase directly benefits two men, that are in the business and fellow ADV'ers.
    2. A percentage of the profits are being contributed to COHVCO.
    3. It will stand side-by-side with Royal Purple, except it doesn't cost $14 a quart.
    4. Most of us are not Tribologists, but the 'oil analysis' is most interesting to view. Flash points, very high TBN values and the ability of this oil to avoid shear, staying in grade is phenomenal!!!!

5. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the interest East Coast Rider.

The MSDS is the Material Safety Data Sheet and is typically for people concerned with storage, hazard spec's, first aid, fire fighting requirements etc. If you would like to see it I can get the factory to provide no problem, just let me know.

The oil performance data is on the PDS which is the Product Data Sheet
    http://www.royalmfg.com/pds/MonarchMotorcyleSuperSyn15W50_pds.pdf

[​IMG]
  6. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Aimhi!

My main reason for asking about the MSDS is purely from an oil formulation standpoint. The bulk of manufacturers play fast and loose with the phrase "full synthetic" yet their oils are for the most part, Hydro-cracked conventional oils (termed "severely refined" on the MSDS) , and have some synthetic additive package. I'm not accusing Monarch of any trickery, I just thought it odd that they didn't have a valid link to a PDF of the MSDS on the site, that's all. I'd be curious about the oil's TBN, as well....I geuss mostly because I'm a bit of a nerd :lol3

Are the Monarch oils true PAO synthetics? Given the price, it would be a great bargain if they were!! I'd love to try it in my KLR, or my 80K mile, 30 years old Suzuki GS1100EZ, for that matter.

All that said, I'd love a look see at the MSDS if possible.
  7. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:

Sure thing I have already requested the MSDS and the TBN's from their lab which is Riverside Laboratories http://www.royalmfg.com/riversidelab.html

Here is the top section of the Product Data Sheet and YES this is a bargain. You can buy the rebranded stuff for double if you want :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I get where your question comes from, the fact that most oil manufacturers now sell "hydrocracked" Group III regular oils as synthetic and still charge the same price as before they removed the PAO base!!!!! Starts with an M, C, P, V, Q ...... just about all of them except the SUPER expensive brands R, R, A. Not that it is bad for your engine since they still meet the requirements for your engine and wear due to robust additive packs.

I'll let the lab answer it since I am no oil engineer or "Tribologist" as John would say :deal
  9. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Hi - These are all great questions!

I have word back on the Zinc PPM from Royal Mfg and it 1371ppm which is high - which is good. I am still waiting for the MSDS but as you can see on the label it clearly states PAO (polyalpha-olephin) true synthetic base oil being used.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Terry Davis wrote:
    The Zinc content of our Monarch Super Syn 15/50 motorcycle oil is around 1371ppm based on average blend results. Hope this will help in answering your question.
    Please let me know if you need anything else. We look forward to helping!
    Regards

Terry Davis
    Senior Account Manager
    Royal Mfg. Co., L.P.

[​IMG]

10. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does your oil compair to other top end oils? Like Mobil 1 full synth or motorx? I am an oil noob when it comes to high end oils for bikes. My bike requires 10/50 motorx full synth. That's what the mfg suggests. Thanks
  11. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:

Hi MIghty- The Monarch Royal Super Syn Full Synthetic 15/50 compares great agains other synthetic oils if you look at the product data sheets. I am not going to downgrade the value of any other specific products since it is not fair, unless we engage them on this forum - which I am not going to do.

Some of the other ADV'rs have requested some information on the Zinc PPM which is high (think - cam wear) including the fact that they us a POA base unlike many other oil companies. Feel free to check out info at these sites to learn more:

I will also have our oil expert Scrambler Davis chime in on this ok.

http://www.nobraineroil.com/G-2156.pdf

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...il-Basics-Reading-a-Data-Sheet-and-Synthetics
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
  12. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    PAO base oil is clear indicator that it is indeed a true synth formulation. Thanks, aimhi!!! And yeah, 1371 PPM for Zinc is high!! this is looking better and better :nod
  13. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    can you post a voa or uoa?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
  14. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    15W-50 the only available grade? My OldWing would kinda choke on that.
  15. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I dont have a test. Big John is going to have one done. Ill check with Royal to see if they have one handy but you want to see one from someone independent right?

If you want to run one I can ship you a couple quarts on my dime NP if you publish the results here.
  16. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    They have a 20W50 synthetic blend intended for ATV's but specialize in industrial solutions and wholesale in barrels mainly. This is a new market for Royal Mfg to sell in quart's.
  17. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

I spoke with a company representative about a year ago regarding the available grades and he said there was nearly zero demand for 40wt. I bet as the Monarch label grows in the US (it is HUGE in South America), 40wt will become available.

It is widely accepted that one can move grades, one up.....or one down. If your bike calls for 40wt, then moving to 50wt is just fine. Remember that this oil is PAO synthetic and has tremendous flow properties....not like any normal 40wt convential motorcycle oil.

The difference between any 40wt I have had in my VStrom and Monarch 15w50 is not noticable in terms of feeling like it is sluggish. It just feels very smooth.
  18. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    awww hell,, you hooked me up with an awesome fairing,, you might as well hook me up with a case of oil :D

pmt sent

D.
  19. ScramblerDavis

ScramblerDavis aka DangerDavis

Oddometer:
    Amarillo,TX, but Rockies and Utah are best ridin'
    In response to some of the questions on trhe Royal Oils, the 15/50 synthetic will perform with the best out there. There are even some motorcycle manufacturer brands that aren't as high performing as this one or some of the other private brands available. As far as using a 15/50 vs.a 20/50 or 10/40 or 10/50, the primary difference is the cold start flow characteristics depending also whether each one is a synthetic or pure conventional engine oil. I have 4 bikes and I have run this oil for three years in all and have had excellent results both in performance and smoothness of engine operation. I would put this oil up against any oil out there as to quality, additive protection, and viscosity shear stability as well as a strong antiwear package. They do not offer a 10/40 at this time but are onsidering it based on requests depending on volume use. The 20/50 semi-synthetic is formulated primarily for use in the big V-Twin engine configurations as well as the BMW requirements and some ATV/side-by-sides. I use the 15/50 full synthetic also in my BMW and it performs well as with my other bikes. This company sells truckloads to foreign users and have a major pizza company in Mexico that uses this oil exclusively for all their pizza delivery motorcycles.(hundreds!). Hope this helps!
  20. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^^^ that about says it doesn't it,, thanks Scrambler for sharing your first hand experience with this product

& thanks Bern for the good deal :clap:clap:clap