The Long Way..Part Three

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 22, 2008.

1. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Biker stars Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are going the Long Way again - for a third TV series.
    They will be filmed riding from Cape Horn through South and Central America to California.
    The show, to be called Long Way Up, is already pencilled in for 2009.
    :thumb :slurp ​
  2. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see them do one trip sans support crew:ricky
  3. klrobins

klrobins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it should be called half way up??
  4. sassage

sassage Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I could care less about the support crew...I just want to go with as long as they pay for my portion :D
  5. Daytona_Rider

Daytona_Rider You should be racing

Oddometer:
    I watched the Long Way Down and kinda liked it. I was sort of disappointed by the suport crew being THE story most of the time. The riding seemed to take a back seat this time (Unlike LWR). It didn't have the same adventurous feel to it somehow.

I'm still going to watch this new one and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to buy the LWD DVD's soon, but I hope they get back to the origonal feel...

Maybe with a lot less security concerns through S. America they will be able to stretch away from the support guys a bit.

Cheers
    DR
    :D
  6. rony05

rony05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 .

i understand that in Africa was a lot security issue and that's why they went almost all the time together but as you mentioned it missed adventure style of first part. It wasn't bad but the first part is much better .

7. Pete-ZZR1100

Pete-ZZR1100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another winge-fest from a pair of pratts....how many times will the Scott drop his ride this time?
  8. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Somebody's jealous..

:lol3
  9. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would rather watch them try and ride than anything on TV or from Hollywood.

Of course, I would rather watch a monkey try to ride a motorcycle than anything on TV or from Hollywood.

They are doing something that I'll never do. I don't have the desire to ride through many of the places that seem to fascinate them, so it is really nice for me to be able to watch it and have a few beers while it is -20 outside here in WI.

Think of the cost for those guys? They make millions per movie and they are putting that off to go for a ride. Awesome!

If you made a movie about your rides, I would probably watch it too. Winters are long here:1drink
  10. zooms01

zooms01 Jesus is Lord

Oddometer:
    Ewen's wife tagging along in Down really ruined it, hopefully that won't happen in up.
  11. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:

They don't make millions making movies, just the one does. The other one with the bad teeth was a "kitchen fixer" after he could not find anyone who would pay him to be an actor.

Without the made for tv reality adventure shows he made with his famous mate, he would still be scraping by installing sinks and painting cupboard doors for a living.
  12. bahoyle

bahoyle n00b

Oddometer:
    I have heard a lot of complaining about the support crew but people need to remember that they are filming this. The support crew is mostly there to support the making of the movie and insurance reasons.

For someone like me that will never do rides like this, I am glad someone is filming it for me to watch.

Also, give them a break, they got LOTS of heart for this stuff. Don't think your way of riding is the only way.

Cheers

Brad
  13. Pete-ZZR1100

Pete-ZZR1100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not jealous at all. Good luck to them.

I simply take exception to people getting so much for nothing and then winging about it as badly as they do. Topping that off with self imposed time restrictions and winging about that too.

Long Way Round showed the TRUE challenge of what they did. Long Way down was for making money and so televisionised it was pathetic.

If you keep telling yourself NEVER, that is the result you will have. You may not be able to do the big long rides with vehicle support and have your bikes flown out for repairs as they do, but you can get out there and enjoy some smaller, equally challenging as far as rides are concerned in terrain and bloody well do something that suits you as an adventure.

LIFE is TOO SHORT...get out there and do it!....but each to their own I guess....
  14. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many hundreds of supporters will they have this time?
  15. Statdawg

Statdawg Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting know how long it will take them to get through the Guatemalan Border. :mad?
  16. Rabbit_Fighter

Rabbit_Fighter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't question their motivations one bit; both of their previous rides have doubled as fund raisers for UNICEF. So what if they make some money in the process. It has inspired a lot of people and given the world a much broader understanding of what kinds of things are possible with regards to motorcycling.

Are there more challenging ways they could do it? Absolutely. It is still a challenge though, and I've never gotten the impression that they see themselves as pioneers or the ultimate in motorcyclists.

The fact that Ewan has dumped his bike so many times, makes me respect him even more. Sure he gets frustrated, but he keeps getting back on, and keeps setting out for more. I respect that a great deal (maybe because I crash too much myself).
  17. ZenOfZoom

ZenOfZoom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm quite anticipating this series actually. I've tried a couple paltry adventures (boomerang tour of Canada, Arctic Circle Attempt), and it's left me with a new respect for Ewan and Charlie not to mention anyone else who's simply out there following their dream. Support team or not a rides of this scale require dedication and commitment.

Far as Ewan dropping the bike, bah, so what? That just makes people like myself want to go out and give it a go. It makes it approachable. Unfortunately the support team largely negates that effect, giving it an air of being out of reach.

I think the whining comes in at the editing bay. I watched a feature length cut of Long Way Down on the big screen, and it was whining minimal in comparison to the TV series. I suspect this is a function of two things.
    1) Editors and Producers trying to create drama and tension, not realizing that the story is the journey and not a plotted thing.
    2) Context. If you were to slap a camera on yourself after a cold, wet, foggy, sleety day, chances are the result would come off whiny. I've tried it, the video never makes the web ;) It's a mater of context because in hindsight those days are often the most challenging and rewarding days riding in that, "My Gawd, I didn't think I could do that sort of way."
  18. RustyJames

RustyJames Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually quite enjoyed that part. I thought she showed a lot of spirit getting back on her bike after so many "downs". It also helped to inspire my wife with the possibility of riding herself, rather than just hanging on the back, so two thumbs up. Not to mention that I now get much less grief for the continuing farkle-ization of my GS, so two more thumbs up for that.:clap

Cheers
  19. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I still haven't been able to watch LWD here in the States. Nobody sells the DVD and I don't get 'Fox Reality' (what a lame channel...ugh). So maybe by the time the rest of the world see this third one, I will see the 2nd one.
  20. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I'm in for the beer party at the end.:freaky

Or since they are ending here in Cal, maybe wine and cheese, or Whine and cheese??

I'll buy the DVD and wear it out watching and loaning it too. Just like the others.

I am a poser.:lol3