Shoei Neotec VS Schuberth C3 - Impressions and Comparo

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Motodisiac, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    This morning I had an opportunity to take a ride in new Shoei Neotec and compare it to Schuberth C3. If you look at marketing materials for Neotec, you may get an impression that it's something groundbreaking. Well, it isn't. It is however the only alternative for people who find that Schuberth C3 just doesn't fit their head. As far as I'm concerned, everything else on the market of modular helmets is simply in a different league.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6843604751_e5c9af377b_z.jpg

For the sake of fair comparison I used size L in both helmets. Neotec weighs 3lbs 14 oz. Schuberth C3 is 3 lbs 8 oz. Once on your head, you will not notice the weight difference. What is noticeable however is the shell size. Schuberth is definitely more compact with cleaner overall shape. Not a deal breaker for Shoei lovers.

[​IMG]

Once on the road, the Neotec is a little noisier than Schuberth, most likely due to less insulation at the neck. Both ventilate nice, with slight edge going to Shoei.

[​IMG]

I noticed that Schuberth's sun visor goes down a little lower, but Shoei's visor definitely provides better clarity. Both are cable operated, but to me C3 is both smoother and easier to operate - I'm used to it though. Shoei is much less involving when it comes to closing the chin bar, it just shuts closed. C3 fits tighter and the closing procedure is more complicated - definitely not one hand deal.

[​IMG]

Neotec comes with traditional D-ring strap, while Schuberth has nice ratchet. I prefer the latter, but it's not a deal breaker. Shoei is a bit roomier all around, most importanly in the chin area (especially when compared to Multitec)

[​IMG]

Both helmets come with pinlock inserts. Both have similar specs. Both are built to the highest quality standards - nothing else comes close. It's all about which one will fit your head better.
  2. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    thanks for that. One of these is my next helmet..soon, very soon.
  3. speedz

speedz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the US version gets a D-Ring strap? On Shoei's Euro website it says ratchet. I love my C3 but getting the ratchet adjusted just right for the first time takes me a long time. And during that time, the metal buckle's pressing on my adam's apple. ouch.
  4. ZumWohl

ZumWohl I got this round

Oddometer:
    Moto..thanks for the comparison. The sentence quoted is of significant importance to many people following the Neotec threads. It appears Shoei listened to consumer's complaints about the too-close chin bar on the Multi, and made adjustments in the Neo.

My Neo is on preorder with Revzilla, and the fact that you have one in possession means it should be on my doorstep soon! I'm really looking forward to finally strapping the bitch on. :clap
  5. BKVR6

BKVR6 n00b

Oddometer:
    I asked Revzilla and they contacted Shoei. Response was that the US is getting the DRings. Ratchet was a Europe only.

Thanks for the review Moto, more good info!
  6. PuraVida

PuraVida *

Oddometer:
    Speedz, can you elaborate a bit on this adjustment and how you fixed it? I've tried on several Schuberth helmets, and love them except for this problem. I've talked to a local rep and even emailed the company about it, but neither had a solution. Apparently they're aware that this issue affects a small number of people, but currently they have no plans to fix it.
  7. David Shapiro

David Shapiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your impressions. I am also planning to get one of these, depending on wkich fits the best. Given my pumpkin head, and the fact that the Shoei Quest is a very good fit, that's probably the way I'll go. I as also hoping that the new Nolan n104 would be in the mix, in part because of the giant eye port it has. I'm going to the Chicago motorcycle show this weekend, and hopefully I'll be going home with something.
    David
  8. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the new Vemar Jiano EVO TC? I hear it's great and much better than the original Jiano (which I have).
  9. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    I did try it. It's heavy, uncomfortable and not as well put together as either Shoei or Schuberth. With the above two you are in heaven when they fit right, everything else is just OK - I tried just about every modular out there. If Arai made one it would be 3rd player :)

D.

10. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    From my extensive experience with C3 I can suggest trying different procedure when you put it on.

Once the helmet is on your head, try rotating it backwards until the neck roll bottoms out at your neck. This moves the ratchet forward (by just a little bit, but usually it's enough) and it will no longer bother your neck. Also, when you close the chin bar, hold the top of your helmet with one hand to prevent rotating the helmet forward. This procedure works for me.

D.

11. AL417

AL417 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Revzilla has a comparison video of the Nolan n104 and the Neotec. I'm going to the show this Saturday and will be checking out helmets too.
  12. unholymess

unholymess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In MN now, wife is already packing for CO
    Do you have link for that comparison video ?
  13. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I cant find it.
  14. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope a dealer has a Nolan's on display.......don't see Nolan in the vendor list???? :eek1 N104 is becoming available Feb 15 as per online sites???
  15. Zupsic

Zupsic n00b

Oddometer:
    San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Ketchum, Idaho
    Thank you for that hands on analysis Motodisiac. Very helpful.

Could you elaborate on the noise element? That is one of the top three criteria for me. Is there a noticable difference?
  16. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never owned a helmet with the ratchet strap setup and am wondering why some helmets have it and other don't. And why does the Euro version of the Neotec have the ratchet while the USA version has the D-rings? What are the pros/cons of the two styles, and should the strap sway the decision between the Neotec and the C3?
  17. nielsm

nielsm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    D-ring, most everyone is familiar with. Hard to put on with gloves on. Possible extra strap flopping around if you don't have a button to secure (like Arai). Hard to take off with gloves on. Easy to lock to bike.

Ratchet is easy to put on & remove with gloves. No extra strap flopping around. Difficult to lock to the bike.

I got a Schuberth in the late fall, my first helmet with ratchet. I must say, I really like it so far. When I switch to my other helmets I do miss the ratchet most of the time. But when I get off the bike & want to leave the helmet on it, I miss the D-ring. If you have a ratchet & a case with enough room for the helmet, it's a great combo.

I'm sure I'll prefer a ratchet on my next helmet purchase.
    Texcollect likes this.
  18. speedz

speedz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PuraVida, I think Motodisiac got it right. The culprit is the chin bar which when lowered, would press onto the buckle and cause it to dig in to your throat.

19. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    Neotec seemed a bit noisier to me, however I wasn't able to go faster than 45mph - morning traffic. Once it actually comes out I will test both side by side to know for sure. Helmet noise depends on many factors. I have a bike with no fairing, being in open air is the only way to do a true test. I will report back once I know more.

D.

20. nanotech9

nanotech9 ** Slidewayz **

Oddometer:
    can you measure the width of the chin straps on both helmets? and not so much the straps, but the liner portion that extends down that goes between the chin and strap....

I find that on a lot of helmets this portion is extra wide and tries to choke me. Either that or the "bolt" point inside the helmet is further back and puts an increased angle on the strap.