Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #76
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
Hey Loutre, don't tell me you are in a tent with no internet!
funny you should say that... Indeed I was for the whole last week. Somewhere in GB's countryside wildcamping (got kicked out 2 times by the cops, once in the middle of the night ... Came up with my crappiest english french accent and spoke "franglais" (duff knows what I'm talking about) and got away with it... Me little innocent rider who doesn't understand english signs . Deciding right know if it's RR material and ADV worthy ...

Well anyway: after 6 hours of ferry riding I'm at my parents house with internet (). Update to follow (next two days?!). But let me say this: 1500kms Two-up, loaded, wrong way driving (when will the british understand... ) and some offroading two up. It was night and day compared to stock. My GF and I made a trip last year about the same distance, same conditions with the stock suspension and you feel the difference. I'll ask her about her feedback too but at the beginning she was very sceptical about me spending this amount on a suspension but she could feel the difference and this time her back didn't even hurt (she has bad sciatic and back problems).

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #77
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Wow talk about being late...

Very sorry guys but you know how it is, hollidays+good weather+bike is a bad combination :o).

Well here we go:

On road:
What a difference! The bike is now glued to the ground. Even with worn out tires. Can't wait to change them to see the full difference. With the old suspension I had sometimes the feeling to ride on a rodeo horse (especially on belgian roads), no longer that sensation/feeling.

Now I can take corners more quickly and for the first time I'm able to scratch my pegs. I feel more secure and confident now.

Two up on road:
Well no more bottoming out or rodeo riding, even when fully loaded. If feels normal. Positive point is that the "tuning/setting" is very precice, one click makes a good difference and it is really easy modify it.

Off road:
Well what a difference too! No more hopping and the bike feels stable now. Since my wrist is still hurting I'm not able to do some hard off road. Should be there in august. But the back roads and forest roads I'm taking are feeling better now, even with 80/20 tires. Feeling that the front is now the bigger problem, but won't change that since I already changed for stiffer springs.
Don't know what else I can write here to help you guys, just ask me questions, should be easier...

Two up off road:
Well same thing as before, a lot stiffer, and I never had the feeling that the bike dominated me as before. It felt like losing 50kgs to the bike. The two up offroad was limited, through fields, country and forest roads. Will never push it further two up.

The build quality is great and I love the looks.
Only thing that I dislike about it, what I knew before, is the wheel turning of the spring. To bring it from 1 to 2 person riding it's a pain in the arse. Managing 30 clicks even with gloves is hard. Hard because of the stiffness of the knob and hard because of the lack of space (last point is especially shitty... IMHO). But once you have set it who cares right

Hope this helps, if not ask your questions.. but be quick, next week I won't have internet (again)

R1150GSA SE

Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #78
Pangit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Loutre,

Thanks for the excellent report. Just what we all needed. Now I believe others will be able to make an informed decision. With regard to the preload adjuster, I kind of guessed that would be the case. If you dont mind sacrificing a bit of aesthetics you might try removing the control knob. I'm betting there is a hexagon shaft beneath the knob and you could then use a regular socket and T bar to adjust.

Hope your wrist gets better soon. Thanks again for your report.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #79
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
Loutre,

Thanks for the excellent report. Just what we all needed. Now I believe others will be able to make an informed decision. With regard to the preload adjuster, I kind of guessed that would be the case. If you dont mind sacrificing a bit of aesthetics you might try removing the control knob. I'm betting there is a hexagon shaft beneath the knob and you could then use a regular socket and T bar to adjust.

Hope your wrist gets better soon. Thanks again for your report.
My great pleasure!

Yesterday I rode 600kms alone and needed to adjust the suspension again. The knob got a lot better after some WD-40 and some 34C in the sun :o). I think time will tell but otherwise I'll put the old BMW knob on just for the tool under my seat :o). The suspension was crap but the tool was a great idea

R1150GSA SE

Old 08-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #80
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Well... get sure to install a maier or mudsling if you change shocks Completely forgot about it until I decided it was time to wash it :o)

R1150GSA SE

Old 08-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #81
jj le roux OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Feedback

Loutre

Thank you for the great report. I don't think TT have sold many of them in South Africa, specially in Cape Town so not even sure you can test one. The exchange rate kill us here. Many inmates feel there are cheaper alternatives. Nothing beat the best IMHO
jj le roux is offline   Reply With Quote