looking at a job transfer to round hill,va area

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Coloradocajun72, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Coloradocajun72

Coloradocajun72 Adv-curious

Oddometer:
    What can you tell me about the area' , good places to live, I have kids so info on schools would be helpful to.

Any insite to the area would be helpful.

Thanks
    Rob :D
  2. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    going to NOVA ? That's NOuthern VA :lol3 to the non VA'ers :lol2

Loundoun county has 2 sections, west is romney country. east is obama's :lol3 Round Hill is west. The county is a big burb for the people that work in and around DC. so you have conservatives west and liberals east :lol2

My brother lives in Round Hill. He likes everything but the property taxes :lol2 They have good schools and bad rush hour traffic. :lol2

check out loudoun.gov and go to the property assessments section for home prices. in VA, counties tax at market rate and they keep it updated very well.

great riding to the west :thumb
  3. schnutzy

schnutzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    while i cant tell ya bout the schools is loudon county(the ones in fairfax are very nice though) i just moved to ashburn,(the liberal east apparently) and so far im liking the area. lots of nice places for a short ride, lots of tasty food to be consumed. and the people all seem to be pretty nice.
  4. Coloradocajun72

Oddometer:
    Appreciate it, the good news is I won't be making the rat race into DC, I'll be at FEMA just south of round hill, va. I am mostly interested in opinions of the towns in the area... standouts are shanondale,wv, harpers ferry, Winchester.... it seems round hill va, is just a little too pricy for me.

The other thing I am looking forward to is riding again.... I like to ride, but La. Sucks, too f'in hot, too f'in flat! And the camping... I miss the smokies!
  5. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin Boxer Freak

Oddometer:
    Winchester is a nice town, just make sure you are in the school district for John Handley HS if your kids are going to be of that age. The city schools are better than most.
    Harpers Ferry is a beautiful area, but I don't know much about the schools or whatnot. Same with Shanondale.
    Just a thought; have you looked into Prince William (Haymarket) or Fauquier (Warrenton) counties? Assuming you will be working off of Blue Ridge Mt. Rd, it is an easy commute and the schools are rather good from K-12.
  6. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    Better riding the more west you get on the 66 corridor. good luck if and when you move.
  7. Coloradocajun72

Oddometer:
    Well the wife and I have discussed it and made lots of phone calls, and I think we are going to try and move forward on this... although it looks like west Virginia is going to be the homestead... take advantage of the less expensive housing.

If anyone else wants to chime in I'll be glad to read your thoughts and insight.

And yes the better riding is definitely to the west.
  8. Coloradocajun72

Oddometer:
    Ok, well the boss wont do relocation... but I can discuss a raise.

I am wondering if anyone has made the move from the DEEP south, and if you has second thoughts?

I am still trying to talk to hr to get my "Tenative Offer" which starts the negoation process..... If you are Government you may know what I am talking about. I just am wondering, What kind of Money do you need to make for the Winchester area?

Any insight will help... also if you know Someone with an above garage apt or basement they would be willing to rent while I sold and found a new abode.. it'll help.

I am at least 90 Days out from doing anything.
  9. Coloradocajun72

Oddometer:
    Got the TO today..... still any insight on cost of living in Winchester? or in the Harpers Ferry area?
  10. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    I live in Front Royal (warren county VA), just South of Winchester. Low taxes, good riding, affordable housing. The elementary schools are good, the middle school sucks, and the high schools I am happy with. Not a bad commute to Round Hill. Of all of the places I have lived, I like this one.
  11. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    And there's the Rt 81 Corridor all the way to TN and of course further west - all of WV.:deal
  12. Coloradocajun72

Oddometer:
    I keep hearing about taxes on housing there... what are we talking about? Im in a house in Louisiana and I am paying 2500 a year in taxes, 2000 in insurance and 1300 for flood....

Are the taxes that high?!? I keep hearing crazy numbers like 6K just for taxes on a small house... Or am I thinking further North?
  13. ecubed

ecubed LFC Cat

Oddometer:
    Hi Rob,

PM me for any area info....I have lived in Winchester since '77. I will need to ask you a few questions and I trust that I can help. (oh, and no Shannondale).

Eric