Buell Bliss

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by HooliKen, Nov 21, 2012.

1. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Bought my first 2006 Uly in 2007 with barely 2k on the clock. Did some stuff to it, and rode the wheels off of it. Then that fateful day in late 2008, when I interacted with a furry woodland creature on the way home from work, and totaled it and myself. Had a few different bikes since and recently traded a cherry 2004 ZRX1200 for another 2006 Uly. I forgot how much of an amazing, quirky, fun bike it is. If you haven't spent some time with one, and you have a pulse, i suggest you do, or you are missing out....:D
  2. mbfj40

mbfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just think how many would be out there on the roads right now if the HD dealers would have actually tried to sell them with the same vigor as their namesake bikes. Is all it took was a test ride.
    What a missed opportunity, I'm on an '08.........................
  3. 1TrackSam

1TrackSam Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, I'd like to trade for something else but my 09 isn't going anywhere. First bike I sat on, rode home, and didn't have to do a darn thing but install "a wipe that smile offulator " on the door out of the garage.:clap
  4. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree with ya 100% on this one. All it took was a test ride on my 09 and I was ready to sign papers.
  5. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell, if they'd just not tried to AVOID selling Buells things would have been much better. I remember going to the Atlanta IMS show in early 2006, I was looking at a Uly with my wife when a salesman from the local HD/Buell dealer comes up and says "They're OK, but you should look at this HD Barcolounger; it's a much better bike."

Fortunately I had already made up my mind and bought a new 2007 from the dealer here in Charleston in late 2006 and I'm still riding it today.
  6. cobrat

cobrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok you convinced me. Want one.
  7. Jayrod1318

Jayrod1318 Poster

Oddometer:
    I'm being told that they are quite a bargain for what they are. I've been looking and have found a lot of nice examples with less than 6k miles on them. I would think around 5 grand should buy a really nice one maybe even with luggage?

Now I just need some money!
  8. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, the '06 Uly will always have a place in my garage. Heck, I even have a "spare" one out back...:lol3

--Doc
  9. hdxbones

hdxbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 2009 Uly this week. Got out for a few miles today, I understand the 'Buell bliss' feeling. I have a feeling that the Road Glide wont be getting as much time as it used to...
  10. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy "Round up the usual suspects"

Oddometer:
    We have had 3 (05, 07 and now an 08) for a total of 115K miles between them.

Nothing serious other than owner/rider induced stupidity.

Try them

You will like them

:norton
  11. Nookie

Nookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the 08 Uly XT. Only thing I've done is rox risers. Its a blast to ride and almost impossible to beat the price for what you get for the money.
  12. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the 09 1125cr
  13. chefgreasemonkey

chefgreasemonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    64k on my 06, favorite bike i've owned and i've had a few:nod:
  14. FishrCutB8

FishrCutB8 Toughen up | Don't be stupid

Oddometer:
    The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
    It's on my list of possibles as I consider a new bike. Any difficulties with reliability or finding parts? That belt drive looks like a positive direction, too. Thoughts?
  15. chefgreasemonkey

chefgreasemonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    "It's on my list of possibles as I consider a new bike. Any difficulties with reliability or finding parts? That belt drive looks like a positive direction, too. Thoughts?"

Head over to Badweb, you can read for days on the subject but don't forget you will always get more problem threads than threads of pure bliss such as this one:lol3
  16. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
    I bought a used (850 mi.) '06 Uly (in May/06) without a test ride; just based on printed specs. I have never been disappointed with this purchase.
    Knock on wood; the only thing I've ever HAD to replace was the battery, about a month after I took possession of the bike. Other than normal wear and maintenance items, oh and tires (they only last about 5k mi.)

It is, by fa,r the most fun street bike I've ever owned.
  17. Jayrod1318

Jayrod1318 Poster

Oddometer:
    The uly only came with one size motor correct? I'm confused.
  18. argentcorvid

argentcorvid Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Uly only had the 1203.

there were other models with 983cc sportster-style engines, and two others with water-cooled Rotax 1125s, but none of those were as 'adventure-y' as the UIy.
  19. Jayrod1318

Jayrod1318 Poster

Oddometer:
    ahh yes, thanks for the clarification.
  20. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I handed over the money for my used '09 without even sitting on it. (I found it on CL and after talking with the owner I told him to consider it sold while I drove 350 miles to get it.) Took a ride down the guy's road and knew I was going to have a lot of fun with this beast. I've owned and ridden a good amount of bikes over 40 years. I compare this closest to a Hypermotard. I think the Ducati is a piece of artwork, but I like the Ulysses (slightly) better.

As for worrying about parts, not at all. There is nothing that you won't ever find online. Heck, I have a 1968 Army truck and have a slew of online places to get parts if needed. You are worrying about nothing.