2010 Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley Gathering

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Ladybug, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    At this point (6-5-01) the main road FS39 through Hells Canyon Nat’l Rec. area is washed out in some areas so plan accordingly if you are coming from the south. :deal

2010 Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley Gathering

June 17-20, 2010

Log house RV Park and Campground
    66258 Lewiston Hwy (Hwy 3)
    Enterprise, Oregon 97828

1-877-426-4027
    http://loghouservpark.com/

Cost: $10.00 per tent per night. Pay our hosts Brian and Margaret when you arrive.

If you want to bring an RV please call and make your reservation with Brian. Tell him you are with the ADV group. rates about $28 nite + 10% discount

If you don't tent camp or RV and want to motel here's a link: http://www.wallowacountychamber.com/...es/lodging.php

Thursday June 17th: Ride in, set up and start getting to know riders you haven't met already
    Friday June 18th: Connect with other riders and enjoy some great riding in the area, more people will be riding in and setting up that day/night.
    Saturday June 19th: Go for a ride during the day
    Saturday Evening: Potluck dinner. Our host will have BBQs available for us as well as refrigeration if needed. He also said he will be happy to help with getting supplies to camp if needed.
    Sunday June 20th: Break camp and head home tired from having way to much fun.

See post 3 for rides to the gathering and planned rides while there.

There is a bathhouse with showers and we will have the main tent camping area near the bon fire pit :kumbaya plus another tent camp area away from the main area for the folks that want to be able to get away and have some quiet time. :snore

Wifi is available at camp, the closer you are to the office the better it is. Cell service is also available although AT&T is a bit spotty.

There is fuel and food nearby the most important part ~ lots and lots of great riding. :ricky

Are you In? :ear

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

:dg Pot Luck Saturday 6:00 PM :dg<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    PNWbuttercup has volunteered to haul some things down so we will have the basics to put together a fun potluck. The paper goods, a few knife for prep work, heavy duty foil, salt, pepper, cutting board, and what ever else I think I need to throw in will make it’s way to camp. Brian, our camp host, will have two gas BBQ grills going for us to use. He also has a microwave and regular ovens if we need them.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    About a mile from camp is a full sized Safeway store where supplies can be easily picked up on the way to camp. <o:p></o:p>
    Bring whatever meat you might want to throw on the grill and a side dish type of thing for the potluck. I’ll put out a list of ideas and you can sign next to what you think you will bring. This helps keep from have 85 cans of beans and no chips. Oh yeah, I’ll have a can opener there too.

Road Information<o:p></o:p>

After some record rainfalls on the dry side there are roads that have been washed out. This thread has some info and pictures: Linky This is the Nat’l Forests website with updates - - -> http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/conditions/

The main road FS39 (paved) through Hells Canyon Nat’l Rec. area is washed out at the south end so plan accordingly. It’s closed from Hwy 82 to FS 66 which is the Fish Lake road and is also closed.<o:p></o:p>
    From camp you are still able to access Hess Rd. and you can ride to the Canyon Overlook using FS39.<o:p></o:p>
    Hess road is open however we have not had an update on the recent condition of it.<o:p></o:p>
    Upper Imnaha Rd. is open, this dirt/gravel road runs S. from Imnaha along the river and connects with FS39 N. of Hess Rd. and the Overlook.<o:p></o:p>
    Originally posted by Mrmagoolin:<o:p></o:p>

Here is a link to a google map of Hess road and the approximate rd closure area according to the Wallowa Whitman Forest service site.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...755066&t=h&z=9

Sat. 6/12/10: The last word is the road in to Hat Point Lookout Tower is still snowed shut but that's not official -
  2. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I'm starting the IN list with the people who have already declared their INs in the date poll thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529291

The IN list where the fun kids are :clap
    1. Ladybug0048
    2. Cbmma1969
    3. Dillon
    4. Ryanwilliamcantrell
    5. zen-alaska
    6. Steep
    7. Rocky (You two might as well change your user names since you will remain Steep and Rocky to most of us)
    8. Fatherof4 and son
    9. Mrmagoolin
    10. Magoolin
    11. Buzzy
    12. Blackout
    13. The Outlaw
    14. Radioman
    15. JimE
    16. Mortimersickle, I heard he wants a pickle someone bring him one.
    17. Walla Walla Bob (A little birdie told me he already made reservations- he was right on it)
    18. Marv
    19. Maxacceleration
    20. Live2makeexcuses will show up late and leave early
    21. Dirty Girl
    22. Mr. Vintage
    23. Mr. Jetmoto
    24. Professor Fate
    25. Sorebutt
    26. Mamadopoulos
    27. Papadopoulos
    28. Pat
    29. Easy-Z
    30. 007Brian
    31. 007Brianwife
    32. Rainbow007
    33. PNW Buttercup
    34. Southforkspeedster family (MsSFS, Guzza, and maybe Kate).
    35. Hellsalien
    36. s1marks
    37. dHally
    38. Magnumskier
    39. duanus
    40. road ranger
    41. The Tourist
    42. TTDave
    43. LaurenceRose
    44. kroderi
    45. Edwards (aka Gravel Eddie)
    46. Hondacbx
    47. Gumland
    48. Dandriscoll
    49. Thaneeddington
    50. HeadingNorth
    51. Spyderman
    52. Corisian
    53. Yo. I'm Bow
    54. Motomuffin
    55. debueller
    56. debuellerGF
    57. AlphaOneNine
    58. Chaos-in-MT
    59. SPOWA
    60. smilin jack
    61. asrvivor
    62. IdahoSam
    63. Oremike

On the Fence ~ waiting to find out if they can do it or not
    1. Jason Abbott and Wife
    2. Shocktower (are you IN?)
    3. reBARman (nice to see some representation from the wet side of WA)
    4. Idarider
    7. Walterxr650l
    9. rjmorel
    10. fbritt5
    11. lil magoo
    12. Kootenai Rider
    13. Puckinet

This list is started super early and things change so if you change your mind just post up or PM me and I will up date the list.
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Ride Planning:
    I'm going to keep this post updated so you can check the first page to see what the plans are.

If you would like to post up your departure time from your area to the campground for others to join you post it and I will add it here. If you would like to lead a ride while we are in Enterprise let me know time and meet place and I will list it here as well.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Planned Rides to the Gathering
    Many people will be riding in on their own or with one or two friends but those who want to connect with others riders to ride to camp with you can either join in on one of these rides or post up when and from where you are leaving and invite others to join you.

Wed. June 16, 2010

Leaving from Asotin, WA <o:p></o:p>
    Meet at 8:00 am at the gas station in Asotin. The station is on Hwy 129 (1<SUP>st</SUP> street) at about Filmore.
    Asotin is only a few blocks long and it’s the only station on Hwy 129. ---- > Linky

Leaving Boise, ID - One of the IAMC's groups is doing a scenic ride on the way; Their information is here - - -> Linky<o:p></o:p>

Leaving Banks, OR (West of Portland) s1marks plans to leave early Wed. morning. PM him if you are interested in riding out with him. - - -> Linky

Thurs. June 17, 2010

Leaving Lebanon, OR
    Meet Up 7am in Lebanon at Apple tree Restaurant on Hwy 20 on South end of town across from Safeway
    More info here - - - -> Linky

Fri. June 18, 2010
    Leaving from Tri-Cities, WA
    Dhalley is heading out from Tri-cities around noon if you want to join him for the ride to the gathering.

Rides during the gathering

For those that want to join in on a ride there will be riders going out that welcome additions. If you are planning a ride and want to invite others you can post it and I will add it here.<o:p></o:p>

At camp there will be a white board to write plans & departure times on, feel free to put a ride on it if you have an idea of a ride you want to do and you’re looking for others to ride with.

Friday June 18, 2010
    To Troy with Maxacceleration and Mrmagoolin<o:p></o:p>
    9:00 am departure time. - - -> Linky

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Steep and Rocky ride

:ricky Leaving at 8:00 am from camp.

This is for those that want something with

a bit of a challenging with some technical stuff thrown in – 200 mile gas range will be needed. -----> Linky

If you want the tracks PM your email address to: 650X aka Steep/Alan<o:p></o:p>

Tweeny ride

:rickyWaiting for someone to post they want to lead a ride that is a skill/challenge level between the mellow ride below and the more challenging ride above. Any takers? There are at least a couple people interested.

Asphalt Ride
    :ricky Spiral Hwy ride - Oremike and Road Ranger

Mellow Ride with Ladybug
    :ricky Leave camp at 8:00 am, we'll go to Joseph for breakfast :dg and take an easy paced stop and smell the flowers ride to Hat Point lookout tower.:flug(I had this as the girly girl ride but the guys are welcome too). We will also stop to look for a geocache or two along the way and if you are not familiar with what the heck a geocache is check out the website - - - > www.geocaching.com

(Update 6-12-10 – I was told the road to Hat Point still isn’t completely open, at least for four wheeled vehicles – We might make it to the lookout and why might not but it will be fun trying.)

<o:p>

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~</o:p>

Tips, ride suggestions, updates, etc.

It seems people post good information in threads like this but when it's time for the ride the good stuff is lost in all the posts. I'll transfer that info. here so it's all in one place you can refer to it again right before the weekend.<o:p></o:p>

Dirt directions from Asotin, WA to Enterprise, OR - - - -> Linky<o:p></o:p>
    Originally Posted by BLH<o:p></o:p>
    The Troy restaurant has reopened under new management and has gas. They are open Wednesday through Sunday.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>Hess Rd. pics- - -> Linky</o:p>

Don't forget your sunscreen and bug spray. With all the rain the last few weeks there just might be those buzzing, blood sucking, pests trying to join our party. :huh

4. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't wait! This should be great.

Dale, the Old Fart
  5. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try to make this ride.

Walter
  6. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Long timer

Oddometer:

Not sure about the girly girl part, but I want to make it up to Hat point sometime.

Steep and Rocky....I like the sound of that. :)

Ladybug, I'm planning on leaving on Thursday morning..
  7. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Cool, for now I'll put you on the fence and when you decide you can make it I'll move you up with the fun kids. You do know if you stay on the fence to long you'll get splinters in your backside. :lol3

I believe RCW is planning to take a ride to Hat Point, his riding style would be more to your liking than a girly girl ride. :flug

If I can get the time off I might head down Wed. just so I can be there early. If I can't get the time off I'll probably head down Thurs. early morning. :norton
  8. Kootenai Rider

Oddometer:
    I may do the same on the time off...gotta confirm a few things.

Whatever we do, should we just make a bee line and get down there or make a really long day of it and mosey down. :0 (yeah, its a long way to Mosey)
  9. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    I should be between terms so put me on the fence for the quite side.
  10. mrmagoolin

mrmagoolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rates about $28 nite + 10% discount. I have all ready got my spot:clap Think we will be there Wed night or early Thursday morning.:D
  11. mutt2jeff

mutt2jeff Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer:
    I didn't get to go to the last one, and since I have no reason not to go this year I am in!
  12. fatherof4

fatherof4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son is really excited about going. Now I have 6 months to find him some riding gear.

HMMMMM I wonder if I will have enough vacation time to take Thursday off too.
  13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Kootenai Rider, I plan to mosey down the long way if I go Wed. but if I wait until Thurs. I'll probably "blast" (I'll be riding the Superbug :pynd ) to Lewiston then do dirt from Lewiston to Enterprise. I want to go to the Buckhorn lookout when it's not snowing.

Oremike, on the fence you go, watch out for the splinters.

Mrmagoolin thanks for the RV price info it being added.

Mutt2Jeff, you're on the IN list ~ how about Heather?

Fatherof4, it's terrific that your son is excited about this. I'll bet it's going to seem like forever until the weekend finally gets here.
  14. walla walla Bob

walla walla Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this years ride. I will need a break from building the new shop by then. My brother (fatherof4) and I will be heading up on friday. Unless I can talk him into taking thursday off. Then the fun time starts on thursday. :clap
  15. liv2rydktms

liv2rydktms Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are planning a Saturday ride. For now all I can say for certain is it will not be Dug Bar or Hat point. I think there will be atleast 2 groups headed to those destinations. We will have something different to offer.:shog
  16. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    IN...
  17. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope! You've got around 75 days to get all the equipment ready for it though.:lol3
  18. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    OK Steep and Rocky aren't doing Hat Point or Dug Bar - - - Wonder what they have up their sleeves. :evil

I've never been to Dug Bar I might have to find a willing victim to lead me there on Fri. :deal :ear Or at least give me directions or gps tracks.

:clap Off the fence and up with the fun kids you go. :clap

Only 75 days until spring? I better start getting my camping and riding gear ready. :huh
  19. Kootenai Rider

Oddometer:
    I need to hurry up and get some new tires put on... We're goin' full knobby's this year. I need to get the progressive front springs as well. Going to step up the perf of the ol' KLR this year.

Looking forward to whatever S & R have up their sleeves.
  20. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I'm all packed. :D