Let's see your Man Castle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZcacti, Mar 13, 2007.

1. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    I paid $3.49 per square and about $100 to get 8 x 40lbs boxes shipped SLC to ATL. You might get better pricing shopping around. I picked mine up from http://www.RaceDeck.com/

They sent me a few squares and some color samples prior to placing order. Prompt service/shipping and helpful folks on the phone.
  2. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I contacted racedeck and they are certainly helpful. For the quitre simple black and white checker I was considering they are asking 2.49 (or was it 2.69? - forget now - that ballpark anyway) a square foot plus shipping.

Still trying to decide what to do - might just go the epoxy paint route and save some $$s - it will kind of depend how enthusiastic I get when I see the shop all sanded and painted and looking sweet.
  3. SRMN8R

SRMN8R Down & Out

Oddometer:
    :nod

After much consideration, I said "the heck with it" and left my floor natural concrete. I don't have to worry about welding slag burning a hole in the race deck or anything else.

One day, maybe my wife will win the lottery and I'll put the race deck down over all of the oil stains.
  4. LostRider

LostRider Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:

I'm with ya on that, oil stains don't look all that bad on concrete anyway. I'd love to have a show room just not in my garage where I work on stuff. :wink:
  5. cobrat

cobrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All right, as requested, spring picture with everything now on the road:

[​IMG]
  6. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    I prefer a painted floor, just because it is easier to clean up spills. I painted my shop floor with that Home Depot stuff in 2003, and it looks like crap now, but it sure is easy to clean up, compared to the concrete garage floor in my house attached garage. I want to clean it with acid and paint is. It is just so much easier to sweep, or clean up oil.

I guess I should get my wife a new car that don't drip oil huh. :1drink
  7. Boston813

Boston813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK. I won't lie. I'm confused by your choice of toys. The Miata I undersand. I'm guessing a full on racers from the roll bar, race seat and gauges. The Boxter I'm a fan of even if its duplicates the function of a Miata. I'm having a harder time with the Mustang since the last one I drove in '06 was a far cry from either the Miata or the Boxter but maybe it has some silly wide 1/4 mile rubber on the back. I do see the picture on the wall so maybe its just a sentimental thing. Is there something that we are missing missing from the collection? Maybe something that isn't quite so scary in those nice "mild" Ohio winters?

Fair warning that the girl came home with a bottle of tequila in place of dinner for cinco de mayo and I have been working on it for a while now so I'm really not trying to offend.
  8. chrisf14

chrisf14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the garage. Moto's where at other place.

Attached Files:

9. chrisf14

chrisf14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second floor of man cave. You tell the wife your going to the garage to work. But knowing the 80" TV is upstairs always sucks me in. This picture was before gym was done. Plus I don't like getting my blue floor in garage dirty.

Attached Files:

10. cobrat

cobrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris, beautiful joint -- two stories of indoor coolness. Love it.

Boston, so you know, the Boxter is the wife's. Although a superb car, not my choice. I like the toy cars to be a bit more hardcore so the Miata is a dedicated autocross car. The Mustang (and yes, there are more elsewhere), somewhat modified, is a seriously fun and quite fast road car.

Hope you had good luck last night. I like the combination of woman and tequilla! Do provide details....
  11. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Painted white, cabinets added and some different bikes from last shots.

[​IMG]
  12. thechickencow

thechickencow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question guys - moved into a new house with a nice long garage.

It's about 25x25, 10' ceilings. Walls are insulated and drywalled, attic upstairs. I've already built one set of shelves to get myself going on storage, work bench is coming, then I'll start other shelves as needed. There's an attic up top that I can use for storage as well. It's high trussed or whatever you call it so you can walk around in it easily.

My question is on heat - I'm on LP with a line running to the house for stove, water, heat, etc. I'm wondering if it makes sense to just run a separate line from the LP tank to the garage for a LP heater, or to run electric heat?

Any LP heater recommendations?

Here's a pic of the shelves and family:
    [​IMG]
  13. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:

Round here electric heat would bankrupt you
  14. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Nice shelves and you have a beautiful family!

Run a line for LP, an electric heater is nothing but a dead short that makes the electric meter spin really fast.

I have a Mr. Heater Big Max from Northern Tool. Mine runs on Natural Gas but I know they make them that run on LB because a buddy in CO has one. It looks like this.

[​IMG]

Have fun in the garage and take care of that little guy. They are big before you know it.
  15. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    :rofl How true...

By the way...all you guys with man castles suck.

Don't you know that any job can be done in the kitchen.

Just cleaned up some JB Weld out of the stainless steel sink, the wife noticed it.

I havent had to attach a vice to the granite counter top yet. Some day soon.

I have an uninsulated attic space, cold in NE winters...hot in summer.

I have to whore myself out to a neighbor as a handyman in trade for indoor winter storage for the bike. She isn't even cute...the neighbor.

All my auto maintenance needs are planned so that I do not need to change the oil during a mid winter blizzard.

Wiffy really likes it when the saw dust comes down from the attic, yeah that is where my wood shop is. And I love going up and down the kamakaze pull down attic stairs carrying loads. :cry

Damn, you people with your stinking garage/man castles. :dizave
    Condos Rule...:hide
  16. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    I'd be tempted to add a couple of 2x4's on the other side - looking at pic left, up against the sheet rock - to pick up the load. Based on what I can see, looks like fastener tear out and/or sheer are possibilities.

Of course - it depends on what you are going to store there - if light in weight maybe not an issue.

edit - I say a couple, but it would of course take 6 pieces.
  17. dually

dually Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that a 'real' SFC in the background??? Very nice..

dually
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
  18. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    You caught me, it's a forgery. :evil
  19. dually

dually Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice forgery; still jealous!

Dually
  20. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    There's a lot to be said for that, for sure.

That's basically why I want to do something. A sample of that racedeck just came through the mail, but I'm not prepared to lash out those kind of readies for it, no matter how nice it is. I think I'm going to paint the floor with epoxy though. I've splurged enough on building the shop, so another 150 bucks to finish it off is OK, and I won't be too worried when I damage a painted floor. I think I'd be so scared of damaging the racedeck I would never do anything except sit around drinking beer.

Hmmm. :evil