Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Guilty, I do have at least a portion of most of the crates my bikes came in.

What is the German term for being anal? I gots that.
  2. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm not so certain. I think the S10 does not need an update, I personally think it is the machine to have.

Their press conference yesterday focused on a new(ish) FJR, a warmed up FZ8 & a "concept" of a triple cyclinder with a crossplane crankshaft....their word for "Kooky firing order"

Perhaps that thing will come in as an 800 or 850 to compete with the Tiger. (another super great bike IMHO)

I can't wait to see what everyone has up their sleeve....the ADV market is finally getting some due attention.
  3. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I (obviously) agree, but the vast majority of average joes are going to look at spec sheets, see all the competition with 130-150 horsepower and the lowly S10 with only 110, and strike it off as not even a contender.

I'd rather them not change anything more than colors, so the aftermarket builds up nicely for mine. But I can see the direction this open class adventure category is heading, and the S10 is going to need an update to keep in line.
  4. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    I think it's "Blödmann" :rofl
  5. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Yamaha needs the 660 Tenere in the States.

[​IMG]
  6. BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99 Horizon Chaser

Oddometer:
    Holy shit, Meef! Glad you're OK.

Did you buy a lottery ticket yet??

And this momma bear ... was she hot?

But ... but .... what if ya gotta lay 'er down??
  7. buildit

Oddometer:
    Aren't the KLR650 and DL650 enough plastic wanna adventure tour "lite" style bikes? :lol3
  8. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, I love that color scheme.
  9. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. buildit

Oddometer:
    The modified KLR650 diesel, only $20,000 if you buy it in parts and put it together yourself.:lol3
  11. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    XT660 has less plastic than a 2nd gen KLR, a few more ponies, a non-doohickey, oil-slurping motor, 18" rear wheel, better sproingers, and looks about 8,000,000x sexier.

Wouldn't compare the Wee to a Tenere...nothing alike, IMHO.
  12. buildit

Oddometer:
    And how many thousand more does it cost? :rolleyes Why not just get an X challenge or KTM 690?
  13. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Who knows how much more it would cost? Probably in the $11k range if it were here.

As to why not get an X-challenge or 690?

Probably the same reason so many people are buying WRR's when a few more duckets will buy a 450exc or a Beta RR.

Some people don't wanna fuss with an exotic and the weird/expensive/fussy nature of a race bike with a plate, short maintenance intervals, scarcity of dealers, yada yada. I'd trust a Yamaha power plant to run without fuss over nearly any other bike made....especially a BMW or KTM and I'm obviously not averse to owning a KTM.

All depends on what you want, and why. Nothing wrong with BMW or KTM, if that's the machine that fits your riding. The 660 makes a lot of sense, it's a bike in between the lackluster, shorter-range Japanese Big Bores and the not-really-for-offroad tourers....and it's not European. Some people want that, I do, when I'm looking to actually tour.

The 660's a bike you could ride multi-state and still handle crossing a log without sending a chintzy skid plate into your engine case. I think it more closely could be compared to a 990 adventure, maybe even an 800gs only obviously not as powerful...but the concept and chassis is much alike.
  14. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. It'll run on damn near anything, but with $13K in additions, I doubt you'll ever reach a break even point on deisel.

I read somewhere (probably on here) that a version of this is for sale in India.

ETA: Atlius Scimitar

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2011-altius-scimitar-review-90964.html

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motor...dia-diesel-670cc-motorcycle-on-off-road-58677
  15. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are "others" but there are also things that look like others, but they are something else. They are also [​IMG]down here in SE Ohio.
  16. QUICKDRAW

QUICKDRAW Bug Murderer

Oddometer:
    Those so called tibia breakers will save your life! They also don't even make a mark if you wearing more than a pair of rocky boots. At least while traveling from 45 MPH to 0 in a fraction of a second.
  17. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whaddya know about it anyways. Yours has always been babied and only driven to church on Sundays.

:hide
  18. buildit

Oddometer:
    He has the hospital bills to prove it:deal :lol3
  19. GailCallsMeKarl

GailCallsMeKarl Squirrel w/ no nuts Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

I also hear you're pretty good at doing a 180 degree turn on a narrow 2 track and not even hit the steering locks :lol3