Getting back into Skiing... So much new gear out there...Halp!! Hahaha!!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by A-Bone, May 19, 2015.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Growing up poor in NH, I used to ski quite a bit because one of my dad's friends was an attorney for a local mountain and they paid him in free passes. He was happy to give them away to my brother and I because he knew my folks couldn't afford the sport and he also knew my brother and I would use the shit out of them...and we did... we would ski from sun up until the last chair...

My folks could never afford to buy us decent gear... but who cared: free skiing... They'd just buy whatever was cheap at the church ski-swap, and we were grateful for that...

Time rushed by: College, grad school, career, family etc. consumed my life for the last...Gawd... nearly 15 years. That said, I have been blessed with a little success in my life and I finally have time and money to get back into it...

So, where do I even start with boots, skis, bindings etc???..

Facts to work with:

• In decent physical shape (strong enough to deal with temperamental skis)
    • Like to ski fast
    • No terrain park stuff
    • Was a pretty decent skier back in the day..
    • I am happy to buy used, prefer it in fact... just don't know what to look for..
    • NH doesn't have a lot of powder, but decent grooming these days keeps the shear ice to a minimum (or so I hope).
    Any help would be great..

Ask any questions you may have and thanks!

-Aaron in NH
  2. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    skis have made such huge leaps in the past decade or so, that damn near any ski you pick is gonna be light years ahead of the last ski you used! If I were you, I'd go to a local ski shop and talk to them, tell them how you ski, where you ski, your budget, etc. They will steer you in the right direction.
    I also took a bit of a break from the sport, still did a day or two a season, but nothing like the 40-50 days a year I used to do. I decided to get back into it, bought a set of used skis to try for a season, then bought some new stuff after I decided I was back in love with the sport. The new skis allow me to do things I would have dreamed of doing 20 years ago, and I was much better shape back then!!
    technology is a wonderful thing!
    good luck and fresh tracks to you!
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    starting the season early?!

Lift served is definitely more of a rich man's sport now...

This might be a great time to poke around your local ski shops, actually.

I went from 80's style straight skis, to 'parabolic' and finally to 'shaped'; sometimes I wonder if I have skills or is it the ski!

Generally, skis are shorter and boots are more comfortable-the snow is about the same.:lol3

Personally, I might hold off on boards right now and demo more than a few next year; great time to get fitted for boots though.

Had a buddy grew up skiing Loon, never been, looks wonderful.
  4. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Don''t be a puss, ride.
  5. Spud99

Spud99 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boots: get to a reliable boot fitter. Make sure the boot fitter is good. I've learned that a bad fitting boot will do damage to your feet including bone spurs. Spend time and money on boots. Consider the temperature you are skiing in. Hard flex boots get really stiff when it's cold, and soft flex boots get really soft when it's warm. You may want to consider a foam fit like Surefoot but a top notch boot fitter will do.

Skis: I buy used or demo and keep two pair. Demo skis can be had for less than $500 and used skis for even less. One pair for on the groomers and one pair for off piste skiing. Many high performance skis require precision to enjoy. If you want a cruise around, go fast type of ski, try something in a 80 to 90mm underfoot with a 15 to 20m radius for groomers. For the off piste skiing I like a rockered 100 to 110mm underfoot. I ski west coast conditions so the above may not apply.

Clothing: we occasionally get rain so layered goretex type outers are key. If it's mostly just cold and dry, insulated layers are key.
    Get a good pair of goggles because if you can't see you can't ski.
  6. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Yes.. I do plan ahead... I'm the guy that buys a lawn mower in December and a convertible in February, but waits until May to buy skiis... :lol3

Demos are a good idea...but I definitely want to start the season with something... You're right about the boots, I'm sure the shops have plenty of time to spend with you right now...
  7. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Don't you fret: We ride year-round in NH...

Ski season at Okemo in VT

[​IMG]
  8. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Good info.. Do fitted boots really make a huge difference in comfort?? I always though numb stumps were part of the game???

The snow is all well groomed round here, so a decent pair that can handle that is what I am after...
  9. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES

I would suggest buying boots from the ski shop at the mountain you plan to ski at the most, if it's a decent sized mountain with people that know what they're doing fitting boots. Most good ski shops guarantee their fit, and will work with you for as long as you own the boots. Buying them on mountain might cost a few bucks more, but if your little toe on your left foot starts hurting after an hour and a half, you can swing back into the shop and have them fix it for you, then get back out skiing half an hour later.

Boots are something you may have trouble buying now, if you're a common size. A lot of places sell down their stock over the winter and then wait to order until the next year's stuff comes out in the fall.

As far as skis - how tall/how much do you weigh? Do you consider yourself an agressive skier?

For a one-ski quiver, something around 80-90 under foot will probably suit you well for NH. If you're stronger/heavier and consider yourself an aggressive skier that likes to carve on hard snow, look for something that's got a lot of metal - I like the Blizzard Magnum, Nordica Fire Arrow, Rossignol Pursuit, or Kastle MX83 or FX84 (I ride the FX84 as an "average day" ski).

Going a little more the all-mountain way, the Head REV 85, Blizzard Brahma and Rossignol Experience 88 are good skis. If you like a softer, rockered, wider-under-foot ski, the Rossignol Soul 7 has been all the rage this year.

My advice on skis - buy USED or DEMO or some other inexpensive way for your first set to get you skiing early in the season. Then go to a demo day and try a wide range of skis - narrow racy skis, big ol' fat rocker skis, and everything in between to see what you like. There's such a wide range of equipment out there to suit different people's styles. I prefer a narrow under foot, racy, carvy ski (I have the most fun skiing on a 67-under-foot FIS slalom ski). My wife's every day, hard snow carver is 90 under foot.

It's a sickness though - I have 4 skis I use regularly in my quiver, and my wife has 3.
  10. Spud99

Spud99 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boots are more important the more you ski. I average about 120 days per year for the last 10 years. One year I got a poor fitting boot which resulted in the growth of the so called 6th toe. Since getting great fitting boots this problem has subsided. Great fit in boots improves comfort, warmth and ski control. No numb stumps for me.
    For a groomer ski ask yourself how you want to ski. If you want a demanding carving ski look for a race or detuned race ski. The higher the performance the more demands on your skill. Race skis are very stiff torsionally and unforgiving. Get too far on the front and the tails wash out with the mid ski chattering mid turn. Get too far on the tails and you'll be doing a high side.
    If you're looking for a more forgiving ski that can carve but won't be as demanding one of the above mentioned 80 to 90mm skis will be great.
    I have a pair of Rossignol Experience 88s for an everyday ski. Beware that you don't get them too long for your weight and intended use. The longer the ski the harder it is to get sufficient bend to carve on very hard snow. Mine are great for most days but when on the boilerplate I wish they were slightly shorter.
    I've skied the Volkl RTM series and liked them a lot as well.
    Most manufacturers make similar skis to their competitors. You can't go wrong with any of the brands as long as you know what type of ski you want.
    I just never buy yellow skis because the only pair of skis I had I didn't like were yellow.
  11. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    I got back after a 10 year break - lack of money and a bit of fear with my repaired cruciate ligament.

Maybe just buy boots and rent skis. Better than to buy a pair and then feel bad about them.
    I changed mine twice before finding one fitting my style and skill.
  12. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    A related question....

I last skied 10 years ago and while I still run and am in good shape, the legs don't like bounding up stairs like they used to. I take them one at a time:D

I'm 60 and was an intermediate level skier. Are the newest skis nice enough for older legs to still have fun all day?

I really liked skiing Colorado....