820 Hyperstrada (was Hyper Explorer 796)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by avianello, Mar 4, 2012.

1. avianello

avianello Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Fallacy

Fallacy FFE inc.

Oddometer:
    I made saddle bag mounts and added a HID conversion
    To my Hypermotard 1100 last year before a 8 state 2 week
    northwest US tour.
    It was an excelent mount for the trip, it handled everything I
    threw at it. 90+% paved roads but it handled gravel just fine.
    It felt very much like my 620 Multistrada, just with more Hyper..
    Sadly I have parted with it, I replaced it with a Tiger 800xc
    I couldn't make myself take such a pretty bike to Alaska this June.
    I dearly miss that bike, great potential.
  3. avianello

Oddometer:
    I know, it is too pretty to take her in the dirt:D but I think that is has the potential of becoming a good touring bike for the roads I like to drive here in Maine. It is also a very light compared to the other "beasts". I am mostly interested in the luggage rack and the the skidplate. Maybe the handguards. I am not sure about the rear tire though: Avon Distanzias don't come in the right size and the TKC80 seem a bit out of place on this kind of bike.

4. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Ducati should just put the 796 motor into the Multistrada with standard suspension and they would sell more of them than they do 796 Hyper motards.
  5. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I would personally like an off-the-shelf conversion that would make it a KTM 950SE competitor: Off-road suspension, 21 x 18 wheels, maybe a different tripple clamp.
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  6. Bryn1203

Bryn1203 Dances with spaniels

Oddometer:
    I recently had a test ride on a 898 Street fighter monster - it had a wonderfully flexible and powerful engine that would make a great mini-multi-strada lite :D

[​IMG]
  7. avianello

Oddometer:
    That would be a great bike, even if I am still not convinced by the look of the Multistrada
  8. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    An unheard-of model?
  9. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just discovered the Hyper Explorer - my hat's off to the folks at Ducati Bellevue for creating this bike. I've always thought that the small Hyper or the Dorsoduro would make a great adventure bike, but there was no good luggage or skidplate products out there. The final piece of the puzzle is the new Continental TKC-80 tires to fit these bikes. C'mon Ducati Bellevue, how about posting some bigger pictures of the bike!
  10. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Not sure where anyone would be exploring on this bike. You won't get far with big, wide 17" sport bike tires and wheels, small tank and an essentially road going set up. Those wheels are Light ... and delicate. They will break first time you really smack an embedded rock hard at speed.
    Been there, seen it happen.

And how strong is that sub frame? If those hard bags are loaded up and you start riding Wash Board ... something is gonna give. Baja would eat that bike alive in one day of riding. I've seen this with 950 and 990 KTM's in Baja.

Steering a fat 17" sport tire in dirt is no fun. They don't turn well, no traction and prone to puncture.

I love the beautiful simplicity of the air/oil cooled Duc motor. Someday Ducati will make a lay down single version of that (think Husaberg), put it in a cool off road Trellis frame, add Ohlins and some crash protection and you're ready to conquer the world.

The bike shown would be a nice weekend sport tourer. Except it has no range. What is that? 3 US Gallon tank? Good luck with that. :lol3
    I've ridden the 1100 Hyper Moto and loved it. Bye Bye license if I owned that sucker. But I carry more than a Tooth Brush on my longer rides. :D
  11. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Read before you embarrass yourself more:

"California Cycle Works 6.3 Gal fuel tank - $799.00"

Right on the website for the bike.
  12. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    The specs listed on the site would seem to indicate that they have a CA Cycleworks 6.3 gallon tank installed, or at least available. I had considered one for my 1100S if I'd have kept it.
  13. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Whoops! I was just looking at the bike ... not the options offered. That tank must integrate quite well. Here is the pic of bike in question. Is there a
    6 gallon tank on there? :lol3

[​IMG]
  14. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    The tank on the Hyper is "hidden" within the tank cover and the frame of the bike; it extends rearward above the shock, etc. CA Cycleworks' design takes advantage of available space and crevices, at the expense of the Hyper's airbox, which must be replaced with pod filters.
  15. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    You really have a talent for embarrassing yourself by not trying to figure out stuff before you post crap, right? :deal

The gas tank is fully integrated in the bike, it used the OEM cover plastics.

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cycleworks-6-4-gallon-hypermotard-fuel-tank

Next time, maybe do 2 minutes of web search.
  16. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Oh my ... i'm so embarrassed! :fyyff

I knew I'd read something about that tank before: 2009, Motorcyclist magazine, by Brian Catterson:

"Let's talk about the last stuff first: When the fine folks at California Cycleworks (www.ca-cycleworks.com) read my report about running out of gas en route to Las Vegas, they promised to send me one of their new, larger HM69 gas tanks ($799) as soon as they were ready. It took a few months, but the wait was worth it. The rotationally molded polyethylene tank is one of the most ambitious aftermarket parts ever, amazingly doubling fuel capacity to 6.4 gallons without affecting the look or feel of the bike-though it is nearly 20 pounds heavier when full. Fuel range goes up accordingly, my personal best standing at 230.3 miles. This added volume was achieved by replacing the airbox with individual filters, repositioning various electrical components and tipping the battery on its side. The only downside is installation: Even with the detailed directions, expect to spend a full day in the garage if you're mechanically inclined or to pay a mechanic four or more hours' labor if you're not. The most economical method would be to have it installed at the same time as a major service."

His follow up report on this was that the tank split or cracked at some point, IIRC. I think the company replaced it free. Did not find that article.

[​IMG]
    In this pic with tank installed you can see it's wider than stock ... to my eye anyway. Does not appear the bike pictured earlier has the big tank installed.
  17. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Those are the optional soft luggage tank panniers (and tank bag) that you are seeing in the photo. If you look carefully you will see the stock tank cover (left side) poking out to the rear underneath.
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    And it shows again ... you haven't checked. Why would I not mark you as a complete moron right now who has no f*cking clue what he's talking about AND is impolite and too arrogant to admit it? Ah, forget about it, it's easier to just put you on the ignore list and you can be your charming self ...

Quote from here:

"Appearance wise you’ll need to look hard to notice the difference between a HM69 equipped bike, and one running the stock tank. The tell tale sign are the two cone air-filters mounted to the intakes, replacing the discarded airbox whose space is now used for fuel storage."
  19. Dr. Motardo

Dr. Motardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too owned a Hyper before I bought my 800 Tiger. The Hyper is everything I love about sport bikes. Slim, light, nimble and fast enough for any relatively sane person. I used Wolfman bags on my Hyper for overnight trips but couldn't imagine taking a long trek on that bike. For me, the main reason is comfort. I started to feel it in my butt and knees after about an hour, which made the stock tank's range just about perfect.

I tried at least 3 different custom seats. All helped a bit but none of them cured the problem. The stock ergos and seat on my 800 are far better for me. Everyone has different ergo needs. If the Hyper fits you, it's about the most fun you can find on two wheels.
  20. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake ... again! :cry
    But I think it's pretty obvious to anyone (including Catterson) who's ridden the bike (me) or hung out and ridden with owners ... (I have, a few times)
    that the Hypermotard, even with all the Adventure Kit farkles, is not the ideal adventure touring bike. Anyone disagree with that premise besides Cug? (I guess that's why he just bought a new 800XC Tiger!)

In the end, do whatever floats your boat. It's a great motorcycle but ... as every review world wide has stated since 2008 ... it focus is a bit narrow to include Adventure touring.