Triumph Street Triple vs BMW F700GS

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by haros, May 5, 2015.

1. haros

haros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some will probably say these two shouldn't really be compared but I think these bikes are quite similar in that they are both good all rounder bikes that do everything quite well, except the F700GS is obviously a lot more dirt capable and versatile in that regard.

I'm looking at these two in particular as they both have a low seat height. Whilst it's not necessary to be flat footed to ride, the bike will be my daily commuter (and more) so it would be annoying to have a taller bike that requires me to jump off to the side each time I wanted to reverse it a little.

I previously owned a G650 XCountry thumper and ended up shaving the seat. I loved the light weight handling but it was lacking power and in my opinion a single front disc brake is inadequate for road use. Fuel tank was also ridiculously small. All these issues seem to be rectified with the F700GS.

I currently ride a Kawasaki ZX6R. Love the power but needs more low end torque and sports bike riding position is uncomfortable. Street Triple fixes those problems but when I test rode one I noticed it had a heavy clutch which would be tiring in traffic. It would probably be more fun than the Beamer though.

So it seems the F700GS is more versatile but the Street Triple is more fun.

Which would you choose and why?
  2. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    Tiger 800 roadie is more like the competition for the F700GS.
  3. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:

Yes. Choose Fun every time.
  4. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Both manufacturers offer test rides.
    Try both (or all 3 if you include the Tiger in the mix... or 4 if you include both road and XC version of tiger although seat height may become an issue with the XC judging by the original post).

I haven't done the comparison, but wild internet guess says that the 700GS will lose the comparison against any one of those Triumphs just on the basis of performance.
  5. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered the Yamaha FJ-09? I think you'll find it has the performance of the ST with the practicality of the GS..

Paul
  6. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I rode a 700, good bike, nice motor.
    If I was riding street I would go for the triple.

did you consider the mt-07?
    low seat, buttery clutch, great motor, and fuel efficient (5-5.5L/100km)

or the mt-09, bit more bonkers. Tank range is pathetic.

the MT-09 Tracer/FJ09 here, has a tall seat, but better tank range, protection etc..

mind you if you're looking at triple, the first two might be better choices.
  7. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll throw in another vote for the triumphs. Either the Street Triple or the Tiger would make great road bikes for commuting and be lots of fun. As for me, I'm not a big fan of the FZ09. The tank range is short, the looks don't do it for me and it seems as tho it was designed to be a budget bike. I bought European because the build quality seems way better. I ride about 20,000 miles a year on my bikes. I've had my triumph for about 5 months and it's doing great.
  8. Snake32

Snake32 n00b

Oddometer:
    I own a 700 and go on day rides with 3 mates; 1 brutale 750 and 2 Street Triple R's.
    I may be bias but I think the BMW comes up trumps on several counts:
    More versatile (gravel or dirt roads No Problem)
    More comfortable (Comfort seat)
    Better fuel economy
    Better Torque (more usable in normal riding rev range)
    Better value as it comes with standard features that are extras on the Triple
    Better suspension travel (needed for NSW roads) I also live in Sydney
    I could go on

As I said...I could be bias
  9. No Coast Rider

No Coast Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an 09 Street Triple, loved that bike. Now I have a Tiger 800, the Street Triple was fun and I had no problem riding it all day, but the Tiger is just better at carrying stuff and a little nicer for the long haul. For everyday commuting though, I'd rather take the Street.
  10. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The street makes about 45-50 ft lbs at the wheel from 3k-13k on the dyno graphs I've seen. That's the beauty of the motor, I can putt around at 2 and 3k just as smoothly as it'll scream up to redline with no real flat spots or surges in power.

It seems to me the choice will be predicated on long haul comfort and economy vs pure fun.
  11. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    tiger 800 roadie. low seat option (lower than f700), light as hell clutch pull. boom.
  12. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went on a long test ride last year on a 700 gs. it was nice. i went on a test ride on a street triple R last year as well. no comparison, IMO. I have way more fun launching that triple off of lights. Its fantasatic screaming fun.

I came from a BMW GS thumper to the GS twin to the triple. I hated the twin motor. it was lowered btw. yes, it was great at carrying stuff and super fuel economy but I didnt look forward to going for a ride on it, I didnt have that anticipation that you feel when you cant wait to go out.

I was literally bouncing off the walls waiting for the insurance office to open so i could get insurance on the triple.

Is it practical for my needs? Not particularly. I tour a lot, long distance and i am always concerned about fuel economy. But when you ride the triple, none of that seems to matter, suddenly.

But.....I am a small female and its unbelievably light and easy to push around. Seat height is acceptable as well. A bit tall but it feels so balanced and light, its less of a problem.

I will need to spend some time figuring out how to strap all my camping gear on it and i will bitch everytime i pull up to the pump, but DANG...that bike is FUN!

I have the Arrow pipes and it HOWLS, totally awesome.

Once i get the luggage thing sorted, I will post some pics.

The 700 was okay. It did everything it should in an acceptable manner but its just not involving. It fit nicely, I rode a low version but I found myself wanting something more, a bit of a giggle factor. No matter how I thrashed it, test ride remember, youre supposed to thrash the bikes, I just couldnt get it to thrill me.

YMMV....
  13. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention the lever pull is very very light and the gear changes snick in super easy as well. Actually, they have the lightest lever pulls of any bike I have ridden andI have arthritis in my hands and wrists.
  14. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a new bike in January. It is a 2013 Street Triple. Weekend before last, I did a 1251 mile camping trip on it and every mile was fun. Local rides are fun, too.
  15. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to see how you fit your camp gear on your bike. I am struggling with that now....
  16. haros

haros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ruled out the MT09 due to the 14 litre fuel tank. So annoying they made it small on purpose so it would be more of a difference when they brought out the touring version FJ09/Tracer. Also didn't like the lateral free-play in the throttle.

I'm probably going to end up with a first generation Street Triple, they're getting cheaper.
  17. haros

haros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    which year model is this? I think I rode a 2011 and the clutch was stiff as...
  18. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. haros

haros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a rear rack and bag, usually faced toward me when riding solo so as to not compromise handling:

[​IMG]

The bag can be turned around to seat a pillion and the rack also provides back support:

[​IMG]

This setup provides more storage capacity than most top boxes and is better for filtering through traffic than saddle bags/side cases. But hard luggage would be more secure and water resistant.
  20. Barike

Barike Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I definitely vote in favor of the Street Triple. Just something about that triple that makes it so much nicer!