Bmw navigator v launched !

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by atg, Sep 20, 2013.

1. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new BMW NAVIGATOR V was launched today.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pres...=T0145987EN&left_menu_item=node__4533#avMedia

Below the BMW press release:

Press release 20. September 2013
    The new BMW Motorrad Navigator V.
    The state-of-the-art, safe and reliable guide.
    Munich. BMW Motorrad presents the new Navigator V featuring a large and bright 5" TFT Display as well as functions precisely tailored to the rider's needs. The premium-class, Bluetooth capable GPS navigation system is not only a reliable guide on and off the roads of Europe, but also when not in use on the motorcycle. With an automobile mounting kit the powerful GPS unit can also be used as a navigator in the car. The navigation system can be used as a hands-free speaker phone for Bluetooth mobiles thanks to the loudspeaker and microphone integrated into the holder.
    The navigation unit is available either with preinstalled map data of Europe, North America or without preinstalled maps. If a customer decides on the version with preinstalled maps, he receives lifelong access to map updates (Lifetime Map Updates - LMU). In order to plan routes, the user can download the Base Camp tour planning software free of charge at www.garmin.com or install it directly from the installation file on the navigation device itself. Memory capacity of the Navigator V can be expanded to up to 64 GB using an additional SD card slot.
    The new trip technology featured by the Navigator 5 defines the state of the art with regard to route planning and routing. It allows the user to create longer and more detailed tours with up to 3,750 shaping points per trip. The navigation instructions – e.g. via Bluetooth using the BMW Motorrad communication system – are partially spoken using Real Directions. For this the route is described using clearly visible points of orientation. Instead of saying "turn left in 100 metres" the system instructs: "turn left at the yellow church". For safe offroad navigation, the Navigator V displays a large compass.
    Map zooming is finely graduated and offers many comfort features such as a lane assistant and 3D building display in many cities. One of the many other options the Navigator V offers to the rider is PhotoNavigation: Geo-coded pictures stored in the device can be clicked on to start navigating towards that location. The unit features a fully-fledged travel computer, a home function for fast routing to the home address and beeline offroad waypoint navigation.
    BMW Corporate Communications
    Company
    Bayerische
    Motoren Werke
    Aktiengesellschaft
    Postal address
    BMW AG
    80788 Munich
    Telephone
    +49 (89) 382 -0
    Internet
    www.bmwgroup.com
    Presse-Information
    Datum 20.09.2013
    Thema
    Seite 2
    BMW
    Presse- und Öffentlichkeitsarbeit
    The Garmin Smartphone Link is optionally available and provides a lot of useful
    information during the tour. The free Smartphone Link app is available from the
    Google Play store and the iOS app store. After pairing the smartphone with the
    Navigator V, freely available contents can be called up such as basic weather as
    well as live services (subject to a charge) such as real-time traffic congestion
    information and detailed weather reports. The Navigator V is compatible with the
    free Garmin BaseCamp route planning software. This can be used to easily
    create routes, waypoints and tracks and transfer them to the navigation device.
    Thanks to the 4-button mount cradle, the waterproof and petrol-resistant
    housing of the Navigator V can be fixed safely to the motorcycle and easily
    operated, even using gloves while riding. On the R 1200 GS and K 1600 GT /
    GTL models many functions can also be controlled directly using the multicontroller
    on the left of the handlebars.
    The BMW Motorrad Navigator V is powered by an integrated and exchangeable
    lithium ion battery which supplies up to four hours of power. While riding, the
    battery is charged via the motorcycles on-board power system. It can also be
    charged via mini USB at the computer or using an optional charging unit.
    The BMW Motorrad Navigator V is supplied with a micro USB cable, a practical
    carrier bag, screw driver and lifelong map updates (only applies to the Europe
    and North America version).
    Unit dimensions: 136 x 83.4 x 24 mm
    Display: 5" TFT, 800 x 480 pixels, 65,000 colours
    Weight: 288 g
    The Navigator V is available for € 750.00 incl. VAT in Germany.
    Presse-Information
    Datum 20.09.2013
    Thema
    Seite 3
    BMW
    Presse- und Öffentlichkeitsarbeit
    The BMW Group
    The BMW Group is the leading premium manufacturer of automobiles and motorcycles in the world with its BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brands. As a global company, the BMW Group operates 28 production and assembly facilities in 13 countries and has a global sales network in more than 140 countries.
    In 2012, the BMW Group sold about 1.85 million cars and more than 117,000 motorcycles worldwide. The profit before tax for the financial year 2012 was euro 7.82 billion on revenues amounting to euro 76.85 billion. At 31 December 2012, the BMW Group had a workforce of 105,876 employees.
    The success of the BMW Group has always been built on long-term thinking and responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy.
    www.bmwgroup.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BMWGroup
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/BMWGroup
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/BMWGroupview
    Google+: http://googleplus.bmwgroup.com
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
  3. konfucius

konfucius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice find!

Based on GPSMap 620/640?
  4. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    The new Nav V appears to be a Nav IV but with a larger screen and some other enhancements (still no XM) which all sound good provided it works properly.
    It also appears to use the same mount/cradle as the Nav IV, and is a real bargain at just over $1k U.S.
  5. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Nope.
  6. konfucius

Oddometer:
    Probably means there is a new Zumo on the way!
  7. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    1000+ bucks and the similar Garmin can be had for hundreds less and still they cover up the only hard wired option for headphones with those stupid buttons. Forced to use BlueTooth for sound. Fail.
  8. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Nav IV- 4.3" 480x272
    Nav V- 5" 800x480
  9. konfucius

Oddometer:
    On a second look, it's probably not based on gpsmap 620/640 since the size is about the same as zumo 660 (Navigator IV), probably fits in the same mount as 660.
  10. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

Waddaya think, that I made that up?

Not just larger but an upgraded TFT screen as well, hope its much brighter.
  11. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    It says VAT included so here in the states, it'll probably be the same price as the current IV is sold for. I recon it's the same size dimensionally as the IV if they're saying it'll fit the 1600GT.
  12. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    I was surprised to see the 5" display for the same reason- it had to fit in K16. Judging by the photos they significantly reduced thickness of the bezel.
    I also expected the Garmin version to be released first.
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    So, the thread I started earlier than this one is NFG? :lol3
  14. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    You won on timing, but atg picked a better location. Starting in G-Spot brought more replies :D
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm
    Or, maybe BMW has OEM'd this unit from Garmin and there will not be a zumo 700LM to rob sales from the new zumo 390. BMW could not use the zumo 390LM because it doesn't fit the form factor used in the K1600 dash. Notice the accommodation for "off road travel" is a Compass. Although I'd expect you could install custom maps and Track overlay maps to the device.
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    If this is actually true, it would be pretty cool:

"The new trip technology featured by the Navigator 5 defines the state of the art with regard to route planning and routing. It allows the user to create longer and more detailed tours with up to 3,750 shaping points per trip.
    I say that, and then I realize that I am not sure of what the "per trip" (which I believe means per route) max is currently for a Montana or Zumo. :baldy
  17. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Who needs that many waypoints in a route? Probably they refer to tracks where it would help a lot. Zumo 660 supports only 600 points per track.
  18. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Dunno, but using a lot of shaping points is a good way to keep a route from changing when it gets into the GPS unit.

Just called Garmin US support, and of course they have never heard of it. :lol3 Nor had the gentleman I spoke with seen a Marketing memo on the thing, which is their usual way of knowing a new model is coming. I suggested that he pass the link to the press release (which I forwarded to him) to Garmin Marketing, so they can figure out what they are doing. :rolleyes
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I was surprised that they used the term "shaping points" because that has a very specific meaning in how the Navigation code treats them.

The Montana does not support Shaping Points and as far as I know, only the zumo's do in the Moto world of Garmin GPS receivers.

I seriously doubt that this unit will support Tracks in the way that the current zumo66x units do.

Not meaning to just dismiss the track support topic but since very few zumo 66xLM customers even know that the Off-road Tracks feature is even there, I have my doubts that Garmin would continue to write/maintain that code.
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer: