Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #886
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I can't see how an extra quart of oil could possibly hurt.
+1. Cheap insurance
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #887
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
ABS and traction control for 2015. So 2016 for Murrica, probably.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #888
KDouble
AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I'm pretty sure the designers knew how much oil they need. If it makes you feel good, go ahead. Remember, this engine has less oil capacity than a lot of bikes. It also has a separate transmission, so it needs less than a bike like a KLR that uses the engine oil in the tranny.
Good point about the separate sumps. Hate to get flammed for asking this. Screw it thick skin. What are you using (oil/weight) in the transmission? Currently running Mobil 75w90. Always been a fan of their products. However she sure is hard if not to impossible to get into neutral after a long ride. Don't remember this on the factory fill.
KDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #889
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDouble View Post
Have you checked your oil temp after a extended interstate run? I'm assuming your using a temp gage in place of your dip stick. If so which one? I don't have any temps to report but, she's HOT after 30 miles of 80mph real HOT. I realize the v7 isn't the most ideal interstate slayer, but I've certainly ridden less capable bikes out of there "speciality". My v7 hasn't complained just sensitive to the horror stories seeds the internet has planted in my mind.
I'm using a temp gauge in the dip stick...one from China via ebay. I'm in Virginia where we have lots of 95F plus days and loads of Interstate roads. Even in the worst situation (stop and go, mostly stop) I have never seen above 275F. At Interstate speeds it's about the same. The bike is not much fun at 75 mph on the slab so I try to avoid long distances on the Interstate (meaning many 100's of miles). The Stelvio is my bike of choice for that. As for being hot, it's an air cooled engine so the jugs are going to be hot. I think we notice the heat more because the jugs are out where we can feel them. Check with an IR meter and then compare with other air cooled engines. I'd be interested in a comparison. FWIW I had my ECU re-flashed to run richer but I'm not sure it did anything to reduce the heat, only make the engine perform a bit better.

Peter Y.