Teknic Monsoon Gore-Tex Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SamM, Feb 13, 2007.

1. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience with the Teknic Monsoon Gore-Tex riding gear? I've been looking at it for about a week now. Not sure if it will work for me in cold wet weather. It looks very nice and of high quality. Just looking for feedback from owners. It's expensive but I don't mind the price since it is armored, has a removable liner and a Gore-Tex membrane liner. It comes standard with Knox armor and Gore-Tex approved pockets and zippers.

Thanks for any help or advice on these Teknic products!

Teknic Monsoon Gore-Tex jacket ($349.99)
    [​IMG]

Teknic Monsoon Gore-Tex pants ($199.99)
    [​IMG]
  2. MCRIDER007

MCRIDER007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Teknic Monsoon jacket and it is the warmest, most comfortable motorcycle jacket I have ever owned. I have worn it in the rain a couple of times and it was totally waterproof. It is definitely made for cold weather riding but with the liner out it still works pretty good up to 80-85 degrees.
  3. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks MCRIDER007! That's just what I was looking for. I just purchased a new Size 44 Teknic Monsoon jacket in blue, off eBay for $159.99. I've been looking at it, for like I said about a week. Found this deal a few minutes ago and thought I should probably jump on it. I usually wear about a 46 but I'll diet to get this one to fit for that price. I need to anyway! My chest measures exactly 44. How does the jacket fit tight? Loose? For each given size. Any idea?

Thanks for the info!
  4. monkeytrick

monkeytrick good ride good times

Oddometer:
    its basically three jackets in one. good for all seasons. i love mine.
  5. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks! Now hopefully the size 44 fits me!
  6. RaiderSix

RaiderSix R6 commuter.

Oddometer:
    Looks nice. I wish it came in tan.
  7. MCRIDER007

MCRIDER007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wore a 46 suit for years and have a 46 Roadcrafter (which now feels a bit tight) but the Monsoon 46 also seemed a bit tight so I went with the 48 and am glad I did. Your 44 might be tight with the liner in place but the Monsoon is so warm with the liner that you don't need to wear much of anything else. I don't think the sizing is all that precise because a year earlier (before I bought) when I was drooling over the Monsoon the 46 seemed like a perfect fit.
  8. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    If it's too tight, I'll just sell it and go for the 46. Someone will get a great deal!
  9. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    My new Teknic Monsoon Gore-Tex riding jacket and pants arrived this week. I couldn't be happier with it. Awesome gear. I can't believe the price I got on this jacket. I'm considering buying another one, just to have an extra.

Awesome stuff!
  10. MCRIDER007

MCRIDER007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the 44 jacket fit with the liner in?
  11. david white

david white Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have a matched set: technic monsoon jacket/sirocco(sp) pants in black that I'll give you a great deal on. Lost some weight, they are to large now, just sitting collecting dust. I'm at work now(don't recall the sizes) but the stuff i have is sized for someone 5'10" to 6' 0" and 205lbs to 225lbs. 36 to 38" waist 32"/33" inseam. They are in like new condition, and as stated previously, they are great cold weather riding gear. Seriously, if you don't need new, reply and i'll set you up. Can send photos if interested
  12. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Yes, it does! It's a bit tight through the stomach but I need to lose that anyway. Yesterday morning I had a nice workout with Denise Austin. We have another date again this morning! :D

I REALLY like the Teknic Monsoon jacket and pants. Did I say that already?
  13. Skvarki

Skvarki Scharf

Oddometer:
    I have a Monsoon as well . I love it, light, low key, keeps me dry, very comfy, warm and fits like it was a custom jacket. I wish it had a couple more pockets but it's no big deal. I'm about 6'0 195 lbs and mines a 46, you can get em off ebay for almost nothing compared to other stuff. I think it's great value for the money considering you are getting an armored gore-tex jacket w/ liner for under $160.

I had a killi for about 6 years but found it to leak a little below the neck wrap and the materials made it stiff but it was warm and otherwise a very good jacket too. I think they've put better neck protection on the newer versions and they've added the square pockets on the front so it's probably excellent now too.
  14. CBR-ELEVENTY-TEN

CBR-ELEVENTY-TEN Tastes Like Chicken!

Oddometer:
    Down...lower....lower..... Yeeaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!
    I'm about 5'10 and 180 lbs and wondering what size I sould get. I don't understand your American sizing. What about the pants? I'm about 34 inch waist and 32 inseam.
  15. Skvarki

Skvarki Scharf

Oddometer:
    Yea the sizing is kind of a pain and if it was simpler they'd probably sell a lot more of them especially online.

I had no idea either so I called Teknic and the sales guy told me the monsoon is designed to fit smaller. Living in Canada I need a little room for a hoodie underneath in the spring or fall so I opted for a size up. For your size I'd guess a 44 would be good [w/ some room underneath for a sweater if you ride a lot in the cold] or a 42 if you want a more snug fit [and ride where you wouldn't need a sweater under it].

I honestly have no idea about the pants and how they fit, my last set were kinda baggy and this time I want a set fitted properly. Motoport and Rukka seem to be able to give good sizing and almost a custom fit [you measure yourself and they have good sizing options] as opposed to a generic one.
  16. CBR-ELEVENTY-TEN

CBR-ELEVENTY-TEN Tastes Like Chicken!

Oddometer:
    Down...lower....lower..... Yeeaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!
    Thanks. I think I'll contact Teknic sales and ask them what they think.
  17. tkuhe

tkuhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So was there ever a consensus on how these jackets fit?
    I am a size 42 suit coat, 6'3" 185lbs, most jackets I try are too bulky. I prefer the slimmer fit coats like Revit which I am an XL in. I have a L Darien that fits ok in the winter but I have about 6 layers on underneath so I would be interested in finding something that fits a little better. The Monsoon is on sale on ebay right for something like $150, seems pretty hard to pass up.
  18. MotoGoro

MotoGoro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ironpony.com closeout price is $140 delivered.
    downside? no returns on closeouts.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/CloseOutsproduct_list.asp/brand/TEKNIC/Class3/Textile%20Jackets/Class2/Jackets%20and%20Vests

if the Monsoon fit runs like the Cyclone I just bought, the arms are cut loose and sizing runs big in comparison to a Tourmaster Transition.

19. MCRIDER007

MCRIDER007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have both the Cyclone and Monsoon in size 48 and fits are totally different. The Cyclone is a size larger in the chest and about 2 inches longer in the arms -- and the arms are a much bigger cut than on the Monsoon. I don't think the Cyclone is quite as warm as the Monsoon but it will flow much more air in warmer weather.

To answer the question what size for 6'3" and 185 lbs, I would guess a size 44 in the Monsoon as long as your arms are not unusually long, otherwise you should go with a 46.
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer: