Bargain bike shoppers equivalent to an SMT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Jaynen, May 29, 2013.

1. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    make your own
    i wanted the same sort of thing, just lower to the ground and above all, cheap

[​IMG]
  2. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Another Versys vote.

Don't like the looks of them? Easy to change :D

[​IMG]

Or this one

[​IMG]

Or this one

[​IMG]

Seriously, don't let the looks alone throw you off of a great bike.
  3. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sv1000
  4. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    I've seen some Versys go very cheap and should definitely be your list.

Affordable used Multi's with all the keys, proper maintenance and no tank swelling issues are hard to find.

A TR650 would be a good candidate and would offer great mpg.

Tiger 800 Roadie

Honda CB500F

I've commuted on an '06 F650GS(60K miles) for the last 7 years and it is a great bike but lacks power.

I just bought a 2010 Street Triple and have been commuting on it for the last month. Gobs of power but the mpg suffered. :ricky

In search for a relief commuter, for my F650, I bought and sold a WR250X, DR250 and XT225. I nearly bought a MS1100, a XR1200X and a Versys but the StRiple was the bike that won my heart and my pocketbook. :D

nlp
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    As usual, things are going in every direction. I had a SMR950, brother had the Versys. We said it while they were parked on a long ride, they are about the same thing, one is just a lot cheaper. KTM had the edge in looks and ultimate performance, but the Kawi was more civilized.

DRZ400SMs and KLRs are not the same thing, and a Honda 500f or SV650 isn't either. For a nasty, broken road in the twisties the Versys and mega SMs are in another league, + can cruise home at any speed.
  6. Jaynen

Jaynen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Commute would be 50 miles one way
  7. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    100 miles round trip: I'd go for the Versys or Ninja 650, or SV.

you can get into a used one inexpensively enough to be able to do the suspension for your body/riding weight. That makes a commute more bearable and fun.
  8. clapped_r6

Oddometer:
    ya, the 1/2" additional suspension travel (same sized wheels, same rake and trail) of the versys is *way* better than an sv.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/50870589" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/50870589">Fall Ryde 2012 - The Remix</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/clapped">clapped_r6</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

i tried the ninja 650 motor, and didn't exactly care for it. plus, since the sv was a bike that was raced, there's a ton of aftermarket support to turn it into whatever you want.

hell, high bars on an r6 would be fun too!
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. clapped_r6

Oddometer:
    not starting a war, merely pointing out that there are other "roll your own" options out there.

or, another way, is that my sv is a budget version of the versys.

hell, i used to have a z1000 that was a great bumpy backroads bike. kinda heavy though.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, me neither, and the Ninja 250 or ZZR1200 I had can do everything he asked too, it just isn't the budget/low buck version of what he wants! :freaky
  12. NateLePain

Oddometer:
    So how many times a week do you plan/want to fuel up?

Thx...nlp
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. I vote 50WHP DR650SE with an Acerbis 5.3gal or a Safari 8gal tank. Set up the suspension and get 2 wheelsets. Ride pavement or dirt.

If you want to carry passengers much, get a bike with more space on the seat.
  14. clapped_r6

Oddometer:
    IF he wants something for dirt too. otherwise, i'd go twin all the way for that long of a commute.

i used to be a dr650 leg humper too, but right tool for the job and all that
  15. Jaynen

Jaynen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I used to do was keep 5 gallons in the garage or fill up the rotopax on the WR250R as well so I could top off and only make a couple actual gas station stops.

I like the light weight of supermoto, the way you turn the bike and the upright flat bar position.

I will say on the recent youtube video I saw comparing the new BMW sport scooter, the NC700, and the Versys the rider of the Versys commented on how you can ride it without hanging off a la supermoto

Those Versys with a different headlight go a long way to improving it :)

I do want another dirt bike at some point but I would rather it be more dedicated and a lot lighter weight than a 650 dual sport. So mainly looking at a road only bike for commuting
  16. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first thought was Vstorm 1000 as fake SMT but the SV would be my choice. 100 miles of freeway a day on a dirt bike is not my idea of fun and I have a drz400 sm hot rod that will cruise at 80 all day, no problem. There are some pretty kool SM type twins out there right now. Aprillia Dorsoduro, Ducati Hypermotard (maybe monster?)? Things like BMW f800r, Triumph tiger or street triple, Suzuki sfv650 are a little more "road" bikes but great choices for what you want.
  17. Jaynen

Jaynen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to drool over the street triples like crazy. Sexy bikes
  18. pumkin640

pumkin640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a surprise :huh
    You suggest a DR650 for every thing from trail bikes to touring bikes.

Seriously in what possible way is an old school 650 single in anyway the equivalent of a 990 cc twin for a long highway commute.
    Even if it makes a mystical :norton 50 RWHP

650 singles are do it all bikes, but come on, there are MUCH better bikes for specific tasks.
  19. NateLePain

Oddometer:
    Such as?

nlp
  20. NateLePain

Oddometer:
    The 2013 StRiple would be a good candidate for you. Pretty mpg, hooligan capability, ABS and standard ergos. Prior to the 2013, the mpg is pretty poor.

A WeeStrom should be on your shortlist, as well as a Burgman.

:D

nlp