Android Phones

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by O-man21, Aug 12, 2011.

1. O-man21

O-man21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else here like their Android and want to brag about it? I just upgraded from a POS HTC Snap to a HTC Evo 3D and love the Android experience. Never had an iPhone, but after playing with my phone for a couple weeks and comparing it to an iPod Touch, I much prefer Android.

Any games and apps recommendations?
  2. Jamming

Jamming Texas Bound

Oddometer:
    Searchlight..its a flashlight app that uses the flash led of the camera on my Droid X. I have the Smugmug mobile app as well and its pretty cool.
  3. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    I just bought a slightly used Droid 2 global, rooted and flashed it last night with hexxen, signed up with Page Plus Cellular and have 1200 minutes 2000 texts and 100 mbsfor$ 30/mo. Sprint and blackberry can kiss my ass.
    U
    TNkayaker likes this.
  4. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    You have experience with Page Plus? I'm shopping service right now and checked their site. Looks like great coverage for my area, both voice and EVDO Data (fancy acronym for all data access??).

Price looks pretty good.
  5. Mr.Meh

Mr.Meh Turd In A Punchbowl

Oddometer:
    I literally just bought a Motorola ATRIX 4g and I'm LOVING it. It's like a little mini computer. I used to have a HTC DROID eris which was one of the first DROID phones to come out and loved that as well but this new one is on a whole new level.
    Never had the urge to get an ipod. Something about how cultish apple users seemed kinda turned me off of them.
  6. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:

1st day, so far so good. They are using Verizon's network so coverage is good. My phone says it's using 3G, not sure about that but plenty good for pulling up maps and forum surfing.
    Getting a live service rep was easy too.
  7. O-man21

O-man21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr. Meh,

Do you have any experience with Evo 3D's at all? The Sprint version of the Atrix just came out, the Photon, to generally good reviews. It's 20% slower than the 3d processor wise, at 1GHz as opposed to 1.2, but many reviewers said it was smoother than the 3d. I'm still in my 30 day return-it-if-you-don't-like-it period, wondering if it's worth a closer look.
  8. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm running an older phone- Samsung Vibrant, but very happy with it. I'm looking forward to when I can upgrade. Buddy got one of the dual-core phones- Atrix, maybe, and says it screams! I've had my phone a year and I'm pretty sure I still haven't figured out all of it's capabilities.
    Love that I can record a sound and then convert it to a ringtone! Going to have all my friends speak in to my phone so when they call, it'll say, "Hi, it's Joe" so I don't have to hassle with looking at the phone to see who it is. :D Stupid, but I don't care.
    Honestly, my only complaint has been with T-Mobile. Got the phone, rooted it, then downloaded an update about 3 days later which bricked my phone. Been afraid to download updates since then. Guess I'll call T-Mo and see what they'll do if the latest update bricks my phone again.
    G
  9. a$$hole

a$$hole Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got the new HTC Sensation on Tmo. This thing is fricken fast! I just cant wait until Cyanogen comes out with their new rom for this thing so I can delete all these silly apps that come installed. Then it will really fly. And yes I know theres other roms. But CM7 will hopefully be alot easier to install.
  10. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been with Page Plus for about 3 years. No complaints. If you can get access to Verizon's network without the dickery of 2 year contracts, it's a good thing.
    I haven't ported a smart phone with them and when I asked which ones worked on their network answers were vague.
    If you Google Howard Forum you should be able to find out which smart phones are successfully using PP. If you call them during peak times you could be in for a long wait. Other times, none at all.
  11. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    FWIW, when I called, the lady was pretty matter of fact when making it sound that any Verizon phone would work
  12. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    There is a way to prevent all updates until you approve. I did it on my wifes Nook Color but can't remember how now. Check the market.
  13. Mr.Meh

Mr.Meh Turd In A Punchbowl

Oddometer:
    No, I sure don't.
  14. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested in this. A lot of the reviews I read talk about turning off data on your phone, except when needed, so as to not exceed the plan mbs. Can I have a phone that gets emails when I receive them, surf forums for 10 minutes a day, and stay under that limit?
  15. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    I don't know yet. I'm using it just like you. The big selling point for Page Plus was that overage is only $.15/mb. Compared to Sprint, the only data option other than $80/month "Unlimited" is a pay as you use....at $.15/kb. I got nailed for $75 extra last month and did little more than look at a few websites...all month... and forgot to turn data off a few times.
    I would feel a little more comfortable if they offered more data options.
  16. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Maybe I have an old plan, or maybe it's because my phone isn't really a smartphone- right now my wife and I share a sprint plan, 1300 minutes, unlimited email/data for me (on an old LG lotus), comes to $90 a month, with a few texts at $0.20 each. We're pretty light users. But if I could get her a plan with email, and end up at $60 a month for both of us, I'd jump on it- I've been trying to figure out a way to cut costs- $40 for DSL plus $90 for cell phone per month just seems out of line with how much we use that stuff.
  17. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    I double checked and there are some other data options at Sprint but now I remember that for my total voice and text usage, they all pretty much ended up close that $80 I was trying to avoid. Besides that, last contract they told me I had tethering, then after 2 months or so, they said I didn't, and oh, that will be an extra $15/month per line please...
  18. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    So my girl is getting a new phone...I'm doing the research and of course have to ask the inmates:

Droid Charge VS LG Revolution, is the Droid Charge worth 100 more and what are the big differences?
  19. FXRocket

FXRocket Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer:
    Fwiw the droid bionic comes out on sept the eighth....dual core 4g with two cameras!
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I told her that but she wanted it right then and got the lg.