Alaska riders needed!

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by srelegante, Feb 24, 2011.

1. srelegante

srelegante srelegante Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey folks-

I am riding on the Atlanta to Alaska ride this year, and we need some more riders to help raise funds.

Last year Daniel went solo on his maiden voyage to assist his sister, who is battling with breast cancer. Daniel, his mother, and his GF raised over $10k last year. This year we need more folks to help up get to our $100k goal.

The targeted departure date is 8/1 from Atlanta. Any rider, anywhere is welcome to help us in any capacity. Meet us in Fairbanks for BBQ!

The site will be updated shortly- WWW.ATLTOTHEARCTIC.COM.

Drop me a pm with whatever questions you may have.

Thank you ADV community!

SE

770-572-4695
  2. zolo

zolo Moto Patagonia Tours and Rentals in Chile

Oddometer:
    All of the money raised goes to
    Susan G. Komen for the cure.

100% will go to the charity.

last year we rode for a cure.
    want to do the same thing this year.
    atlanta to prudhoe bay.

route and details are being organized now.
    input for folks wanting to help and join will be considered for the route.

Come out and ride.
  3. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Daniel and I will be out with the usual suspects (plus a few others) at Eclipse Di Luna, Miami Circle in Atlanta this Sunday to begin our fundraising press for the Komen Foundation.

We will be set up by 6:30, and the music starts at 7:30.

The fab folks at Eclipse are comp'ing all of the food! :freaky

We are requesting a $15 donation at the door, or on the AtltotheArctic.com site.

Come out and chat us up-bring anyone you like-bike or no bike.

Curt

770-572-4695
  4. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Bump for a worthy thread!

Will try to make it on Sunday.
  5. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Reverse-we missed you Sunday!

Raised over $1000 for the Komen Foundation last Sunday nite at Eclipse Di Luna. Those great folks were nice enough to give us the whole bar area, and provide some free appetizers. About 70 folks came out!

We are planning many more events before our departure in late July, and even some after we get back. $50k is the goal!!!

We are still looking for folks to ride part or all of the ride, to help us support the cause. Even one day would be helpful.

Ride safe!

Curt

6. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Looks like we have some folks joining us from Birmingham and Huntsville, AL. for all or part of the ride! Please let me know if you can join for even one day to see us off, and ride in someone's name. We would love to have you! This the (very) tentative route-

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&t...and/files/mapping/ATLtotheArctic2011Route.kmz

GoPro has agreed to donate a camera for the second year in a row, for auction. How awesome is that? Those guys at GoPro rock! Not to mention those bike cams-if you don't have one-YOU GOTTA GIT ONE! :clap

Looks like we will be having a nite on the town with a blues band, a wine tasting amongst some most desireable italian motorcycles, and a belly dancing lesson for the gals-whilst the boys go wrench at Daniel's garage in Decatur.

Departure date has been moved up into July. You can keep up with us on ATLtotheArctic.com or the Facebook page under the same name.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Curt
  7. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys . My mother and three aunts have been battling it for years . Anyone can make a difference if they try.What a great idea.
  8. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    wow. i remember you guys from eagle rest rv park in valdez.
    my friend and i had our yamaha sportbikes.
    i wanted to talk to you more, but we went on a kayaking tour and when we came back, you guys were gone.
    i remember the website sticker on the pannier of the GS. you even made it in my trip report!
    i wish i had taken a photo.
  9. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread/will watch for the next get-together.:ear
  10. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Come one-come all!

Daniel is hosting us at his garage in Decatur at 189 Sam street on the 28th of this month. Come out and meet the team, see the bikes and bring some cash to win the GoPro camera we are raffling off!

Those GoPro guys are first class-they sent us a camera, battery pack and all to raffle off. If you have not seen what these cameras are capable of-just go to youtube and you will find some incredible shots. They are very sophisticated pieces of equipment.

Ride your motorcycle, bring your car, have your wife bring you-just come! Families welcome-who knows there may even be a few racecars there to see.....

Spread the word-let's get a crowd there!

Curt

770-572-4695
  11. srelegante

Oddometer:
    We are moving the BBQ to June 3, to avoid competing with Memorial Day.

Hope to see you all on 6/3-and we also hope for some nice weather to get the bikes out in full force.

Curt
  12. srelegante

Oddometer:
    The BBQ will actually be on Saturday, 6/4-not Friday 6/3.

Also-looks like the great folks at Twisted Taco in Buckhead will be having us out for a happy hour and the raffle on Thursday 5/26. (5:30-late!) Plenty of parking across the street at Fresh Market, even though it says not to. They worked a deal with TT.

Speaking of raffle-just got confirmation that we might some VERY nice items to raffle off. Might be worth your time to come around on either day. I can mention the GoPro camera we will be raffling off, but cannot mention the others yet.

Stay tuned!

CC
  13. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Going to hijack my own thread and start blogging about the Tiger prep for the journey to Prudhoe Bay.

Picked up the 2002 Triumph Tiger 955i after I sold the DL1000 in December. I really like the DL, but Triumph is my favored marque. You know how it is....

Picked up the "Green Hornet" from a local seller-far from perfect, but a great starting point. (Now if I can figure out how to upload more pics..how do all you guys get all of those great pics uploaded?)

Had the new chain and sprockets installed with Michellin Anakees-went up one to 19t in the front for the ardous highways between here and AK. Makes parking lots in first gear a bit of a challenge, but otherwise is at peace on the highway. Plenty of passing gear-ups the mileage by 15% or so. Not insignificant at $4/gallon and 9k miles to go!

Given the fact I am 5'9" on a tall day, and the Tiger's reputation for being top heavy (I think Tiger means "Tipped over In the GaragE and Road"), I followed some of the threads and had the brilliant idea of rotating the eccentric bolt in the back to drop the rear end. Well that may be fine if you want to lower the front forks and cut down the center stand and side stand. Otherwise-a handling nightmare-chopper like! I have since put the eccentric bolt back to stock. Going to go the other direction and push the forks up through the triple clamps slightly to tighten the handling a bit. I could turn the big VStrom 2 up in the middle of the road, no problem. Need to become that good and better on the Tiger.

Since then I took it to the fine folks at Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock to get the suspension right. Those fellas rock, let me tell you. Courteous, helpful, knowledgeable-the whole deal. Reworked the front forks-seals/linear springs/emulators-WOW. Never again will I suffer with factory suspension. Worth every penny!

The Hagon rear shock is being shipped to me from Dave Quinn Motorcycles in CT. It should be here this week for the fellas at Traxxion Dynamics to install. Dave Quinn has apparantely been stocking the Hagon shocks for 25 years. They had the Tiger 955i shock on the shelf! Fantastic folks to deal with-they are predominately Triumph guys up there.

Hope to wrench on it this weekend-a lot to do! Stay tuned for handlebar revamp/engine guards/radiator and oil cooler guards/and a few hundred other things I need to do.

Ride safe!

PS-Follow us on www.AtltotheArctic.com or on the Facebook page under the same name.

Attached Files:

14. srelegante

Oddometer:
    I have the Tiger all torn down-plugs/air and fuel filter/replacing those god awful plastic gas line connections. Someone was living in my airbox-and not paying rent! This thing is going to lift the front wheel off of the ground now.

Anyway-new Hagon shock going in this week as well. Hope to have her back on the road next week!

Attached Files:

15. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Atlanta folks:

<TABLE class="uiInfoTable mvm profileInfoTable"><TBODY><TR><TH class=label></TH><TD class=data>We are a happy bunch at AtltotheArctic.com, and want to share the news! Come out, see the bikes, meet the crew and have some libations.

Requested donation to Susan G. Komen Foundation of $10, and the fantastic folks at Twisted Taco Buckhead are kicking in a free drink.
    In case you have not joined us at the ATLtotheArctic Facebook page or the site under the same name-please do-we have several events coming up we want to see you at.

Friends are welcome of course-the more the merrier. Plenty of parking at Fresh Market across the street-they have a deal with Twisted Taco.

We leave Atlanta on July 15-two months!:clap

Curt

770-572-4695

www.AtltotheArctic.com
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

16. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:
    Anyone going this year??
  17. srelegante

Oddometer: