The 2012 CRF250L thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dfhmotor, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ColonelS

ColonelS Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  3. scooterspirit

scooterspirit DaddyGeneralSir

Oddometer:
    The neat thing about this motor is how smooth it is. It has a linear sort of delivery throughout its range. It's happy enough down low and happy to bounce off the rev limiter. It doesn't pull much below 5.5 but has a real pleasing power band from 6.5-9.5, where it's fun to row the gears. It's not real grunty down low like the XR though, but has more power available, over a wider range and doesn't get breathy.

A 330 watt power supply would be a big plus. I'd like to know how high the seat is, still haven't seen anyone on it or near it..
  4. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    Yes they have figured that out! They also listen to everyone overhere saying how easy it is to do thats why they let you do it as they can't do it and send it here legaly!
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the Tokyo Motor Show start today? Anything about the unveiling? :ear
  6. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Someone asked about seat height. According to the dimensions, it would be 33.5" give or take about 1/2", essentially identical to the KLX250S.

I'm somewhat interested, though I'm not sure what would make it any better than the KLX other than the Honda label.
  7. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    If Honda thinks it's 359lb CBR is light, this thing will be, at @ 300.

It'll weigh as much as, or within 10lbs of a KTM 6?? bike. I say right on with a 620RXC.

Only, it'll have 25(?) horsepower. @ 40lbs "lighter" than a XRl, but with 25hp instead of a stock 35...

God forbid anyone buy a "used" bike that's better and costs less. Honda purists won't care... They'll buy anything so long's it got HONDA written on it.

Geese... How many "OLD" and "USED" killer Honda's are out there that could just use an aftermarket EFI and be in the same league?
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i think honda will make changes (cams etc.) to change that to more low end on this bike vrs your cbr250 motor. no doubt honda makes great motor. i wish they'd outsource them to other mfg. who do better with the rest of the bike.
  9. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    The CBR is already bottom-end... Via a low compression ratio and the EFI. Same as they did with Versys. They used a de-comped Ninja 650 motor.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    maybe so but not pulling below 5.5k rpm is not the best DS motor platform.
    guess we'll see.
  11. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:

Yep. I've made several comments on it as well. The CBR's bore & stroke is almost identical to the Yam WR250. (and those things are lean)

My NX's DOHC is not. It's stroked and de-bored. I dream of the day I can EFI it...

CBR; 76 x 55
    WR.; 77 x 53.6
    NX.; 70 x 64.8
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I definitely like it...

Attached Files:

13. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not everybody needs a ton of horsepower. I've got a WR250R and WR250X, both around 30hp, and they are a ton of fun. And ask any of the many WR250R owners who ride their bikes all over the country/world on long trips, and they don't seem to care that the bike is "down on power" compared to other dual sport bikes.
  14. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what the seat height on this thing is? From the various pics I've seen, it doesn't seem to look as tall as bikes like the WR250R and DRZ400S. Almost looks like it might have less suspension travel or something to get the seat height down a bit.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    you went to tokyo?
  16. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:

I don't care about power and that's not what I was talking about...

And not sure what you mean about "down on power compared to other DS bikes". This bike sure will seem like it's down on power with its healthier-than-average heft.

What other DS bikes have 27-30hp, are liquid cooled 250's and don't have an "every ride" service interval?
  17. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's too early to tell until we have official numbers and some tests from the various magazines/moto websites. But the power and weight sound similar to the Yamaha WR250R/X. That has proven to be a pretty popular bike... just go check out the mega-thread here.
  18. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I wish! That was just a statement and a pic I found online. I have a CBR250R so I know I would definitely like the engine.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i read that as he was quoting others who said his bike is a girlie and he knows otherwise.
  20. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    So when will we see this show up on the Honda USA website?