Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #751
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,160
Most excellent -- especially for explaining the "why some RTVs smell like vinegar" part.

My thanks!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #752
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,691
Acetoxy cure RTV's also cause flash rust when squeezeout is introduced as an engine case or gearbox is mated. All of the rolling elements can flash rust. In a plant where they do vibration analysis on motors gearboxes, pumps, etc., if that gearbox was rebuilt using an acetoxy cure RTV, lube was added then the gearbox was put in spare stores for a length of time, everything above the lube line will have some degree of corrosion on all rolling elements. The gearbox is put into service and it knocks the Reliability Engineer for a loop as they're trying to figure out why they're getting vib signatures that look the way they do-but it's from the corrosion.

In electrical applications when the corrosive acetoxy gas is trapped in an instrumentation cabinet or even something as benign as a pecker head, the corrosive gas does a number on contacts, switchgear, and electrical connections.

The only real selling feature for this kind of RTV I have identified is that it's cheap.

Dirty
Old 06-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #753
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,909
^^^^ Holy Crap!!

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #754
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post

The only real selling feature for this kind of RTV I have identified is that it's cheap.

Dirty
The old 'caveat emptor' (let the buyer beware) situation.

Before I was educated by Dirty's input on this thread I considered myself fairly knowledgeable on the subject of threadlockers. Then I started asking around and I realized most of the professional folks I spoke with didn't know this stuff either.

I don't think it is an accident that so many people are so poorly informed. Most informed people wouldn't buy the inferior stuff just because it's cheaper.

It kind of pisses me off that I can't find Loctite 243 in most autoparts and hardware stores. So just to stir things up a little I ask for 243 every time I go into a O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc. They just give me the deer-in-the-headlight stare. They can't hep it.
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #755
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Guys-I tell it like it is, just like we were hanging out in your shop or mine rebuilding the top end on a Saturday morning, drinking coffee or beer if it's after 8A.

There's about 130 Loctite Field Reps scattered about the US and Canada and we're all tasked with training roughly 500 to 1,000 Industrial End Users every year and we've done that for the last 30 years or so, and not for lack of trying, I'm constantly amazed at the lack of knowledge from Maintenance Engineers, Reliability Engineers, Maintenance Superintendents and Supervisors.

I even ride with a bonafide Reliability Engineer, I give him threadlockers to use on his bike and everytime we ride something falls off of his bike. I can't get him to use threadlocker on his bike.

Forehead pound.

Dirty
Old 06-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #756
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
[QUOTE=
In electrical applications when the corrosive acetoxy gas is trapped in an instrumentation cabinet or even something as benign as a pecker head, the corrosive gas does a number on contacts, switchgear, and electrical connections.

Dirty[/QUOTE]

I see no one is daring to ask.....What's a pecker head? Dirty

Regards....just jeff
Old 06-28-2014, 04:30 AM   #757
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
I see no one is daring to ask.....What's a pecker head? Dirty

Regards....just jeff
The box on an electrical motor where the wires are connected is commonly referred to as the pecker head.

I used to know one person that called it a weather head.

I've never used anything but the factory gasket to seal them, I think it would be common in a place like a food plant where everything is washed down with sanitizer daily.

My experience with the non vineger smelling RTV is on HIGH power/frequency induction hardeners to seal around busses. I think we used a 3M electrical rated RTV.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #758
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Well you see Jeff, Ms. Dirty and I haven't been getting along very well as of late, and.....

It's sort of a slang term for an electric motor terminal connection box-where you connect the wires of the motor to the electric wire feed.

Big of you to take one for the team Jeff-I'd bet there's at least three more of you, but less than 5 that wondered but were too proud to ask

Dirty
Old 06-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #759
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
drinking coffee or beer if it's after 8A.
If you're going to drink all day, you've got to start in the morning.

Quote:
I'm constantly amazed at the lack of knowledge from Maintenance Engineers, Reliability Engineers, Maintenance Superintendents and Supervisors.
And guys who work on vehicles or other mechanical systems for a living. This is why I have to do all my own work.