Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Nice job everyone!

I really enjoy those posts where a lot of us will put our heads together and come up with a solution.

If you follow the wire long enough in the Honda manual, it does eventually go to ground. I just wasn't smart enough last night to do it.

So....it really doesn't matter where you attach it...as long as it grounds on something.

Averagejoe,

Moldova...wow...I had to look that up to know where it was. You've certainly got the onlyl Moldovan TA in the country. Man, you have GOT to keep that plate on your bike. If you don't want it, send it to me (I'll pay postage). It would absolutely drive the Cal. CHP nuts.

Here's what I'm thinking....you get pulled over because of the wierd plate. Helmet comes off..."License and registration please".....Strange look of total misunderstanding in my eyes....."License and registration, please".....shrug shoulders....(in E. european accent with very halting speach)errr...um..No...ahhhhh..Ingalesh??

That could go on for quite a while and be quite believable since most guys haven't seen TAs or my AT variant at all and are not the standard GSXR that they are used to pulling over. Granted you would most likely get busted for not displaying the correct plate even if you produced it later (and for testing the guys patience) but it would be a hoot (OK..I have a strange sense of humor). My only problem is I know most of the guys who work the local area.

It would be a fun experiment to see how long you could ride without getting checked. It would be great for those times when I get a bit "behind" paying registration on all the bikes.
  2. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Racinwoody,

Short answer....Nope.

The AT front fairing has a few other curves where it flares toward the outside and it wider overall at the front. Never tried to match this up but it doesn't look like it would be a straight "bolt-up"

This is not to say you couldn't make it fit if you're good with fiberglass and body work.

If you do this you also need the AT front frairing bracket, headlights and some wiring changes. Dunno how much work it would take to make it all match up.

If dual headlights are what you're after, it would most likely be cheaper and easier to mod the TA front fairing to use those lights. It still requires bodywork but not so extensive and you don't have to play with the overseas ebay stuff. Other guys have done this with very nice result. You'd have to search the thread to find the photos but they are there. See post #2307.
  3. urchindog

urchindog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    avgjoe....ladder...

thanks you guys....i'll put an end on this today and ground it to the radiator support....maybe i'll have a working colling fan when I get this fired back up.

Bryan :clap
  4. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    Nop! I've tried, but it's a lotsa work! It's easier to look for the side fairings on eBay. Now, I don't remember if there was a way to adapt the AT side fairings to the TA tank. But I think its a diferent monster too...Anyway, I ended up buying the whole setup from an RD03 and "adapted" the TA signals to the AT sides...which in the end its big job...:huh

Give it a brainstorming....

5. averagejoe

averagejoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Racinwoody, its expensive, but its the look you're after... Boano out of Italy. www.boano.com
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. racingwoody

racingwoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I will check back in when I find my TA.
  7. Blackbert

Blackbert Factory Rambler

Oddometer:
    Cool. any idea how it ended up in the States? Bike with a story. Have any pics to put in the RR section?:D
    Ray, make sure you have the camera running when they pull you over and you start the 'I know noootingk' tric.:evil
    Urchindog, I have the feeling you need to find the fan-switch, or the connector to it rather than the fan housing.
  8. urchindog

Oddometer:
    Blackbert....

no I think this must be a ground....the fan switch wire is in place in the lower left side of the tank...followed by the two fan motor wires....the third wire just above the fan wires...that is green with a black protective cover is the one with the missing end......

Bryan
  9. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Please stop posting those Boano TA photos. Everytime I see it I start searching the ads for another TA to stick it on.

MOTOLUST !!
  10. averagejoe

Oddometer:
  11. averagejoe

Oddometer:
    Urchin, I went out and traced the wire...again. It was bothering me to not know where it went. The green wire (with red tape) connected to my radiator bracket goes to a white 2 wire connector attached to the right side of the upper frame. I think that if you ground that wire your issue is solved.
  12. urchindog

Oddometer:
    avgjoe...

yep.. .your right...without that connected / grounded to the radiator support or motor there is absolutly no ground to it.....if you disconnect it you can't get a test lite to ground and lite up.

thanks for the help ....think I owe you a beer!

Bryan
  13. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Beer?

Yas dinna tell me there wuz gonna bee beer.
    ....and wimmins?

.....oh yeah.....Don't fry bacon naked (PSA) , dood

Funny Utube, thanks
  14. urchindog

Oddometer:
    one for you too Ladder...

when I make it back your way to run the Bay to Breakers again in SF....:rofl

Bryan
  15. nobody

nobody motomaniac Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does any of you guys have a TA front fender for sale by any chance?Just noticed the excessive dirt thrown up and to my surprize the rear half is missing.It was a rough ride last Sunday but never crashed.I thing some stone or roots got caught up and ripped apart the fender
    Thanks
    Claudio
  16. ravelv

ravelv from Baltic side of river

Oddometer:
    I used anything softer than bearing- bolts, nuts of needed size.
    Bearings from swingarm I didn't replace, but I guess, procedure should be similar like getting out outer races of steering stem bearings.
    Suspension bearings itself seems is not so hardened as other bearings- they don't brake so easy by hitting them harder also.

BTW, in mid-january I'm in Munich, so, we can :beer.

17. nobody

nobody motomaniac Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you sooo much,didn`t think about e-bay
    It even matches the colour
    I owe you big
    Peace
    Claudio
  18. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Averagejoe,

Would you mind shooting a pic of the swingarm pivot/shock linkage area from underneath? I have a centerstand for an 87-88 TA and I was hoping it would fit an 89-90 US TA but something must have changed in this area.

This is from Deti's sight:
    [​IMG]

I know the US bikes dont have the holes, I was just going to drill them myself. I'm wondering if the gap between the frame tube and the linkage pivot is different on the 87-88 bikes. I'll measure when I get home but mine looks much tighter than the photo above.
  19. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    I would weld it, instead of bolting it!
  20. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Originally I was going to weld the necessary brackery to the frame to use a SW motech stand. Andy found this one on ebay.de that was designed for the bikes without the bracketry and I figured I'd give it a go. It's very well built. It is the one described on Deti's site:

[​IMG]

My issue is that Item 8, the shock linkage, and Item 9, the frame tube, don't appear to have enough room between them to allow the bolt to pass through.