Throttle cable relocation?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by dingersurf, Mar 28, 2012.

1. dingersurf

dingersurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put some bar backs/risers on my 09GS. Throttle cable is a bit tight, can't figure out how to relocate it. So I put the stock one back on before I break something. Help Please, I'm sure it's something simple.
    Thanks Dave
  2. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run your throttle cable under the bars instead of over with the bar back risers and you should be fine.
  3. dingersurf

dingersurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But where do you disconnect the cable?
  4. dingersurf

dingersurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bump
  5. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the throttle-tube end. :D
  6. dingersurf

dingersurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FUCK YOU,,,,,,its a simple question,,,,, I'm a NOOB wrenching on my bike and don't want to pay the dealer $100
  7. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Don't listen to them. You need to pop off the plastic cap at the top of the triple clamp. Remove the one closest to the throttle side and remove the nut just under it. Youll need a crescent or open end wrench to hold onto the nut just below the triple clamp or else it will just keep spinning. The fork will drop down a few inches and you can slip it under. It'll make more sense when you do it yourself. You might need to cut a couple zip ties to reroute the cables, but you can just put some new ones on afterwards. I did this same thing when I minted some bar backs. An inmate here has a pictorial if you search under Rox Risers install. That's where I learned to do mine. Good luck.

Plastic cap
    [​IMG]

Nut
    [​IMG]

Use open end wrench to keep this from spinning (14mm I think)
    [​IMG]
  8. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:

You're right... it was a simple question... and you asked where, Booboo, not HOW. :deal

I answered your question exactly as you asked it, and since my personal throttle-cable experience does not include monkeying with BayEmVays, I left those details to someone who has one, and knows HOW.

Have a nice day!
  9. dingersurf

dingersurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hiker,,,,,,Thank you, I picked up the exact same bar back/risers. Thanks for the info for the Rox Riser install thread, I'm taking a look.
  10. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Dinger,

With your Ilium bar backs, I needed to reroute the left side cables, but the throttle cable was left alone as you can see in the pic. When rerouted the throttle cable, it seemed to be bending in an unnatural way. I do notice that I get a little revving at full lock when turning around in my garage. You may find you need to reroute the throttle cable too. Hasn't been a problem since the clutch is pulled in.
  11. James Bond

James Bond Tight is best

Oddometer:
    When I put on the Illium Risers I did not have to change the brake hoses but I did have to move the throttle cable behind the handle bars and that gave it plenty of slack. You will need to pull the bolt out of the handguards, remove the bar end weights, take the screws out of the throttle housing and wrestle the throttle housing apart to pull the cable from the housing to re-route. (takes a little fiddling with the housing to get everything put back perfectly but it will be worth it when it works for you. :clap
  12. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:

What I would do, is at the throttle you can remove the two screws that hold the halves together.
    When you get them apart you will see how the cable lays in a channel and the end with the fitting is in a hole.
    You can remove the cable, unscrew the hosing and the cable will be free to reroute.
    Just route it under the the bars and re attach it.

I live in North San Diego County(San Marcos). If you want some help with it, I would be happy to lend a hand.
  13. xq89olp

xq89olp In debt up to my eyeballs

Oddometer:
  14. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. dingersurf

dingersurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PERFECT,,,,,,,,,I was heading in the right direction, but didn't want to poke and pry at the cable with a screw driver and fray the cable. Gonna get some sort of hook/dental type tool to get it done, then add it to the tool bag that I carry on rides.

LensGrinder,,,,,,thanks for the offer.