OBCDR ride next summer

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by jcloer1, Nov 30, 2013.

1. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So...in celebration of my 40th birthday (July 2nd), I'm putting this out there to see who might be interested in joining me (or leading me ;)) on my first OBCDR run sometime next summer! I already have a vacation planned for late June, so it would likely need to be late July or after...

Please feel free to give any tips/suggestions/warnings...etc for which trip to make, what gear you might suggest above/beyond normal bits, blah blah blah. I would also love to see pics/ride reports for any that have done these! (yes, I'll be surfing the ride reports in the mean time) :)

I'm super excited to get out there! I'm expecting to take roughly 5 days. Not sure yet if that will be one of routes or a combination. Currently, I'm thinking about starting off in Sisters and heading to Seneca...maybe creating a loop from there. Totally open to suggestions though! The more folks the merrier! Even if you can only make one or a few days, it should be a hoot!

Looking forward to planning something again with you all! And meeting those of you who weren't along for the Barlow ride last May!

I'm hoping that with this much advanced notice, we can get a good ride planned with tons of fun folks!!!

OH! And in case she's able to come along...please also pass along any info that could help us decide if my wife would join us! If so, I'll likely be looking into a KLX250 dual sport for her to ride...
  2. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    STARTING in Sisters????

Um...yer missing the BEST riding between here and Sisters :nod

PM inbound.........
  3. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    I would like to join for at least some of the route. Maybe the beginning. July I'll be heading to Colorado to do the COBDR at the end of the month with 20-30 other KLR hooligans. Then south towards Mexico. Keep this thread updated for sure
  4. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sounds like you're going to have an amazing summer! :) Where in Mexico are you riding to?

So far, the Cascade Discovery Route is on the table for this ride. If you aren't already familiar with it, there is a great ride report here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918666
  5. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Planning on riding the entire section of route 5 next summer with my cousin.
    http://www.oohva.org/
    You are welcome to join us.
  6. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you! I'll keep that as an option! Are you expecting roughly 100 miles per day?
  7. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in going also.

Was suppose to go this year but didn't have a proper bike for this type of ride. Now I do...
  8. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    We were thinking about 150 miles per day.
  9. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I might be up for it.
  10. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
  11. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Apple Jam, would you mind sharing? I may end up doing this ride by myself but I'd rather skip pavement from PDX to Sisters if at all possible.
  12. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'll share!! I just need to get my act together and clean up and put together the tracks in a form that is reliable. It has only about 40 miles of pavement (mostly required by the 3 fuel stops), and somewhere around 350-400 miles of as much raw dirt old two-track as I could possibly find to get to Sisters. It really will take good & fast-ish riders three full days/nights; even those that do 180+ miles/day on something like the WABDR.
    www.cascadediscoveryroute.com

You are welcome to PM me and hassle me about this later this early Spring if I don't have it fully set up by the time you desire. I will set you up. I will gladly give you and anyone the basic and reliable tracks, but fair warning.... I might also try to sell you an upgraded "planning package" that hopefully some may find very appealing. I'm just trying to find a way to get paid a tiny bit so I can afford to ride it more often, and discover more good stuff just like it :wink:
  13. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I was just looking over the calendar so I can start requesting my vacation days for the year and was thinking about doing this trip over Labor Day weekend. Maybe head out the morning of Wednesday, August 27th?
  14. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works for me. There any plan yet? Apple Jam said he was going to put together some tracks heading down from Portland. Might be a good starting point to consider.
  15. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No plan yet. For the Cascade Route, it primarily depends on when Apple Jam is available. I have limited weekends available for a long trip, so if the Cascade Route doesn't work out, I'll likely be looking at one of the other OBDR routes that I can do in 3 days or so. Or possibly tagging along with one of the other inmates who are offering it up as an alternative...

Not sure yet if my wife will be going. Not likely though. Either way...given the ride report AJ listed for his Cascade Route, I expect that I would be doing a one way trip on those tracks. I would then either ride home or have a rig waiting in Sisters to trailer the bike home.

I haven't seen the tracks you mentioned from AJ. I'm game for starting wherever he thinks is best. He rides a hell of a lot more often than I do! :) I'm hoping to get a lot of riding in before this trip so I don't slow folks down too much! I'm beginning to look at gear for the bike and am considering whether or not to leave my home made ammo can panniers behind on this trip in favor of some soft ones...
  16. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of riding from Portland down to Sisters via dirt. That would be sweet. I am thinking that I may extend it after that and do a week or longer.

Another inmate I know that I've ridden with a few times bought some tracks and maps that I may be getting from him. I'd like to have a few options.

I still don't know if I want to ride with a bunch of people I don't know so I'm still on the fence about that. I'm much faster off road that on and tend to get left behind on pavement. But that was on my 250, 650 may flip that and I may be slow off road also now.

Yeah, it may be better to get soft luggage. I'm planning on getting the Giantloop Coyote bag. That and a duffle bag should be all I want or need.
  17. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I plan on spending up to 5 or 6 days, depending on what else I have going on and who is in/out for the trip. It's a little awkward at first with a group you don't know, but that's how you grow the circle of friends! :) That's how I met Apple Jam and a bunch of other guys...my buddy and I tagged along with them on their Barlow Road trip last May.

Yep...I think soft luggage may be the way to go too. My ammo cans are heavy and really add some width to the bike. Might get hairy on some of the roads AJ has described...might not be great for deep ruts either. I have a large dry bag I bought for the Barlow Rd trip, but my buddy picked up a dry duffle on Craigslist that I think is a much better option. Much easier to get to everything.
  18. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I've been watching this thread from the beginning and would really like to ride along depending on the dates and if I can get the time off.
  19. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The more the merrier! I have proposed starting off on Wednesday, August 27th and going into Labor Day weekend. The Cascade Route that has been proposed depends (for me) on the ability of Apple Jam to be the fearless leader as the route is his baby. Fingers crossed on everyone being game for that weekend! :) Welcome aboard!
  20. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Crap, I just realized this was over Labor Day weekend. I usually go on a long distance street ride with a close friend. Hmmm, any chance a guy on a VStrom could do this?