Bike for a short person?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by brandonmccann, Dec 15, 2012.

1. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    My wife's inseam is 26". She has owned 4 bikes and I have had to lower all of them, but I mod bikes so am comfortable doing this. Some are easier to lower than others. Every bike I have lowered compromised the overall suspension and handling to some extent.

I just took a look at the Shiver 750 and it can be lowered a couple of inches by adjustment/replacement of shock/spring and raising the forks an 1" or so maybe. You can also change tire specs and gain another 1/2" in some cases. They make low profile tires mostly for motards but the rubber is soft so do not last as long. On some ABS bikes the different tire size will cause a fault with the ABS.

My wife's 696 Monster was very easy to lower. A 1100 S shock with new spring for her lighter weight is adjustable enough to allow almost 2" lower.
  2. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

The bike will also "sag" some under weight, which may or may not negate the length you will lose for the width of the bike.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    True! See the OP's inseam vs. mine as a great e.g.. He obviously has a "very short upper torso" whereas I have a tall torso but short legs. I have always privately felt that had I my brothers legs and my torso I might have made it in baseball a bit further...:D
    When you get away from level surfaces it is quite easy to drop a hvy bike if you cannot plant either foot. It can also be easy to drop one(remember I'm an exp rider too) in a parking lot-I did it in a Wendy's after I put down a foot(didn't notice it as a dangerous spot) on a slick oil spot to hold my bike-cost me a windshield! That bike had a lowered seat to suit me. You cannot be too careful when stopped.
  4. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

True, but I figure if it's a sport-type bike the suspension is apt to be fairly stiff. I hate to see new folks start out on tip-toes, it just seems to increase risk all the way around.

Sarah
  5. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

I agree with you 100%. I think people should be comfortable with a bike, especially when starting out. If the OP actually has a 32" inseam though, he/she shouldn't have a problem straddling most bikes. Now if it is the OP's first bike, I would recommend something a little less sporty than the Shiver with almost 100 hp. The HP/Torque of a twin is more than likely going to cause more issues than his/her inseam.

I like the idea of a single cylinder dualsport, or something along the lines of a Ninja 250 or the likes. Starting off with a bike with too much power will only exaggerate any problems or issues one may have.
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Changing tyre profile enough to actually lower a bike may not be such a good idea afterall, or at least you should know very well what you're doing, otherwise is probably better to leave 'em alone.
  7. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    Im a short ass. i ride a versys and Its perfect.

Sent from my totally awesome galaxy note! Over tapatalk2
  8. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I think I am in a similar situation, so hopefully I can offer something to the thread.

I have a 32" inseam, and ride the Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, which has a 34" seat height. (+2" all around to your situation) I can't flat foot it, and I wasn't happy about that before buying the bike, but got used to it very quickly. I can get a good portion of both feet on the ground at the same time, which is plenty when riding solo. When backing uphill, I prefer to get off and push from beside the bike. When my passenger gets on (together we weigh the same as the bike), I have to be careful that both feet are on good footing. In other words, no problem for you.

A little about the Aprilia 750: WARNING...if you go test ride the Shiver, you will be hooked. You won't look at the Ninja 250-300 the same ever again. Don't get me wrong, those are fun efficient commuter bikes, but the Aplilia 750 twin is addicting. Once under way, the 410-416 lbs disappears and you become one with the bike. Having 3 different drive-by-wire throttle maps allows you to adjust the twichyness of the throttle as you become used to the bike. Rain mode is great for learning, dirt, or rain. I use Tour mode 90% of the time, and its great. Racers like Sport mode, which only requires about 1/4 turn for full throttle.

Most of the Ape 750's have been pretty reliable. A few have some electrical relay problems and whatnot, but they are largely trouble free. I live 2 hour away from my dealer, and haven't been back in the year and a half since I bought it.
  9. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    I was answering the OP question, can it be lowered. The choices are out there, but some of them may cause other problems, the ABS not working on the F650GS was one we had to deal with.

On the lower profile tire, the difference of the Monster 796 rear tire and the 696 is about 1/2" and also the 696 has a lower profile front tire. On the Monster most of the difference in seat height between models is tires and shock mount (796 and 1100) has a spacer at the top.

Soupy also makes an offset shock mount that lowers the Shiver 750 about 30mm using the OEM shock.

http://www.soupysperformance.com/catalog/item/4408900/8560243.htm
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 100hp bike as a starter bike.:eek1 Not the smart choice,even with the best training.:huh
  11. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    If you're gonna fuck up with 22hp, may as well have 100hp and get it out of the way earlier.

But I don't remember if brandonmccann said if he's taken MSF classes.
  12. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might look at the Suzuki Gladius, which is the next iteration after the SV650. Similar to the Shiver in look and style, has a 31" seat height, and you should be able to find a used one at a decent price (conventional wisdom is to buy used for your first bike). Stable, quick, nimble, fun....

Suggest you also look for a jacket in hi-viz since you are doing a lot of highway and around town. Something warm too, especially if you are buying a naked bike. Tour Master Transition comes to mind.
  13. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking it was somewhere around 70hp, and at that it could be quite challenging for a beginning rider. But I just had a look at the specs...95hp!
    Definitely NOT a good starter bike...but now I've gotta go look at one!

@ brandonmccann, Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and don't get this bike till you've been riding for 2 years! (and several thousand miles)
  14. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Yup, the SV650, Gladius, or even V-Strom 650 would all be good choices too (maybe better choices).

The Shiver/Dorsoduro are actually quite tame in "Rain" mode. It not only decreases throttle response, but also dials back horsepower to a more manageable low 70's. I do agree that it is a lot of bike for a first, I just think it is three bikes in one.
  15. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    DL650 is too tall. It can be lowered, but.. there are other (great) options.
  16. brandonmccann

brandonmccann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was planning on keeping it in the Rain mapping for a pretty good while if I did go with the Shiver. Where I live, there's a ton of empty highway to get practice on. Same place my dad took me to learn to drive, is the same place I'll take myself to learn to ride. That sounded lame..

As for the MSF classes...not yet. I will in March when the weather warms up. In Texas, to get your motorcycle license, you have to take a riding course(to my understanding). After I take the riding course and I've had a little experience with my bike(whatever I end up with)I am planning on taking the extended course with my dad. Father-son type thing.

edit:That Suzuki Gladius bike doesn't seem too bad. I'll definitely have to do some more research into it.
  17. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta agree with that. My missus rides a lowered DL650, and while she's managed it quite well, she's not a beginner, but she's dropped it a few times on parking lots. She recently tested a Gladius, and was much more comfortable with it, even though that bike wasn't lowered. The Gladius is MUCH smaller in physical size. Problem is, she still wants a tourer, so the DL stays...

That Gladius engine is now also on the new DL, it really is a peach. Virtually unbreakable, and very good fuel economy, too.
  18. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    +1
    Get the 22hp vs 100hp to get out of the way. I know anything can happen at any speed but a new rider on a 100 hp bike doing 75-80 on the freeway with no on ramp!! Started out on a trail 90 and when I got a S90 I thought I was on a Gixxer.Try not to ride my xt225 on SoCal freeways but rode one from SoCal to Boise Id and back 2500 miles through Vegas.Scariest ride of my like. Get a small used bike, learn how to ride properly and ride the piss out of it. its not the height you should be concerned with but the cars and trucks that will DEMAND that you start, stop, look, listen, swerve in a half of a second to make it home safe. We all want you to ride but take some of the insanity out of it. I am sure your dad did not let you take his Lambo out by yourself your first day of driving. I see salesmen trying to sell a sport bike to a new rider and I want to smack him, both actually. Most hunters start out with BB guns, not a 30-06, there is a reason for that.
    Not trying to start something with the hunter comment, just using it as an example. Sorry, but a 100 hp bike with a new rider,and I know there are some, but it still makes me nuts.
    Good luck with your decision, ride safe.
    PS, Old man on a bike is a great read!!
    Heirhead

Always tipping over.
  19. motolocopat

motolocopat When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer:
    If you are looking at it for your VERY first bike, or more accuratly, the first motorycle you have ridden, I highly suggest that you get some experience on something that you can fall on... a dirt bike.
    Since you live in a small town I'd hope you could easily find a place to ride, maybe even know someone who has a low powered dirtbike to learn the basics of shifting and braking on.
    I've gone through this process a few times over the 40 years I've ridden and taught friends and family to ride and what you want to do is get enough time on a low powered motorcycle that allows you concentrate on shifting up up up and braking and shifting down down down turning accelerating braking turning accelerating turning and braking and accelerating and turning. Doe this until you no longer have to think about the shifting and braking and your thoughts are revolving around the sliding that the bike is doing as you accelerate and brake at the limits of traction. You know you have reached them when you fall down.
    Repeat the process until you don't fall down very often.
    Repeat the entire process with a relatively powerfull dirtbike....
    THEN go buy any streetbike you want to... the only thing you will worry about at that point are the nuts on the road and it is very difficult to keep an eye on them when you are a noob trying to figure out how to shift.

If you did this for 5-6 hours a day a normally talented young man can move through each stage over a few weekends.
    You will also learn something that is VERY difficult to learn on the street but will eventually come in extremely valuable.... how to slide... it is a normal process in the dirt but normally only done on the street during the "Oh No" moments. Dirtbikes are also tall and you will develop a confidence of handling a bike while just one foot is planted... that's all you need if you know how to ride....

Remember......... If You Ain't Sliding you Ain't Riding:evil
  20. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    not sure what you exactly are after in bike type
    take a look at the Triumph America, Speedmaster, or even Bonneville.
    you'll find the ground with both feet
    Decent quality and well priced