Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is the shop that makes the parts.... :D
  2. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, while I "REALLY, REALLY" enjoy Paul's parts, and think he is an excellent supplier of some highly desirable parts, I've come across an issue.

After a few crashes, especially on the hard stuff, such as rocks, I found the brush-guards sliding in just a tad upon impact. Indeed, a quick adjustment will slide the brush-guard back out, but when on the trail, this has interfered with my throttle.

So, to fix this, I ran down to the local Ace Hardware store and picked up a couple of small bolts.....

This picture shows the diameter of the shoulder...
    [​IMG]

This pic shows how the bolt slides through the gap in the brush-guard, ensuring that the guard will not slide in towards the center of the bike upon impact. On top of the brush-guard is an example of how it goes through.

[​IMG]

Here is the front side of the brush guard. I have spacers under the mounting bolt at this time due to my GPS mount being removed.
    [​IMG]

This has been successfully tested with multiple wrecks, and is holding up great; i.e., the bars have not moved in towards the center of the top mount during the wrecks......
  3. everett

everett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect timing. I'd be inline for a group buy.:beer

Everett.

4. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are there any plans for making larger plastic guards to keep the bugs, rain, cold, etc off the hands better?
  5. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:

x2
  6. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    x3
  7. smoose

smoose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    x4:D
  8. J.Johnson

J.Johnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Got all of my new gear installed to ride last weekend. I love HDB products. I will be buying more from him. Well thought out product

Sent with mind control...
  9. everett

everett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you need longer cables?
  10. bodhizafa

bodhizafa How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you got them yet........but I have them on my F800GS. REALLY, REALLY nice! Much nicer than the Barkbusters I had on there, love the little mirrors too. They just barely tap the stock windscreen. I also have the Scotts on there, no power outlets though. I'm REALLY happy with the setup. No drops yet to test them. :D
  11. Motoracer428

Motoracer428 n00b

Oddometer:
    FYI the website makes it sound like you cannot get Black guards with Black plastic shields but you can (at least it looks so from all the cool pics.) Enjoy!
  12. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    When I got mine a year or so ago - they came with a set of black and a set of white shields. I traded my blacks for another guy's whites, and now I've got spares that match. May have changed by now tho.
  13. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    How does the black anodizing (or perhaps it is some other coating) on the top clamp hold up to the sun? I have bought other things and the anodizing either turned purple, or faded in some other way.

Thanks

[edit]
    I have not had other things from this vendor fade, just other aluminum things in general. Sorry if there was any confusion.
  14. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess not....
  15. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:
  16. Urbandrag

Urbandrag KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer:
    2006 650GS with OEM heated grips system...

I promise better pics soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky
  17. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Just ordered and Adventure Plate, Bars, Risers, a couple of push button switches form HDB, 2 Powerlet sockets and some Hot Grips (Direct from hot Grips) for my WR250R.

The hot grips comes with a 2 way toggle switch, does anybody know if that will fit in the "Switch" area's of the HDB top plate? As I want to run 2 powerlets so I don't want to use those holes for switches, and the push button swiches I ordered aren't two way (high and low). Or do you know a source for a two way switch that will fit in the "Switch holes" on the HDB set-up.

Also not sure where to get LED's to fit in the indicator light holes anybody have a source for them? Never wired a diode directly, do they just wire up in series with a hot lead?

Thanks.
  18. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I got my leds from paul and he drills the holes and installs the leds and sends them. I did drill out a set of black guards and switched the leds to that set. Easier to have him do it imho.

Regarding the two way switch, measure the hole diameter and check at radio shack I'm sure there is something that will fit. I decided to just wire mine high, off and keep the switches the same.
  19. Lima Tango

Lima Tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Typically, an LED will need a current limiting resistor in series with the LED. The value of this resistor will depend on the voltage of the source, the forward drop across the LED, and the LED's operating current. This is a generic answer; there may be some LEDs that have this resistor already integrated with the LED. Especially if the LED is packaged up for a specific application, for example to replace an existing incandescent bulb. You need to have information for the specific part you're using to avoid a mishap.

LT
  20. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ..anyone use these with FLEXX bars?