Stumped, deleting Favorites from Nuvi 500

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mcnut, Oct 11, 2012.

1. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :baldy 15 years as a GPS user, thought I knew how to work these things!

I like to keep a clean unit but in a effort to delete all 25 "Favorites" stored on my Nuvi 500 I have failed. It has been my understanding these are stored on the units internal memory, the IMG file being the only thing on the SD memory at this time.

1st) I had some time to kill on a cross county flight so tried to delete each individually via the unit's "Favorites" edit menu only to have them all reappear at the next power up. Fail! :eek1

2nd) I connected the unit to the computer and located them as the GPX files in the unit memory, Nuvi>Garmin>GPX, selecting & deleting via Win 7 Explorer and....back they came on the next power up. Fail!

I use both MapSource and BaseCamp but this is happening without connecting to the PC or launching either and besides I don't have them saved except on the unit. The only thing that went away and stayed away were the archived tracks.
    These Favorites are worse then the clap. Ideas?

Bruce
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I'm still curious why others think my previous attempts failed, I was successful using a 3rd approach.
    I went to the unit's "Tools" menu then to "My Data" and was able to delete them......for now. Not what I would call user friendly in this respect.

Bruce