Bert's Second Annual Daytona Dual Sport Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mark1305, Mar 11, 2007.

1. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though a couple of pics have posted over on the ride thread, I'll start a report in this forum....

A huge thank you to Bert for putting this ride together, preriding it, leading the way, etc. :clap And a huge thank you to Bob for riding sweep again this year :clap

I had about a 2 hour ride in the dense fog to get to the Huddle house in Deland. Just enough to soak through everything I was wearing except the jacket. At 55-58 F it was starting to get cool, too. Shoulda put the rain gear on before it was too late - like when I was leaving the house.

Anyway, after everyone was gathered and fed , time for the pre ride briefing.
    [​IMG]

We headed out of Deland westward toward Paisley for about 3 miles and made a fuel stop at the edge of town on SR 44.

It looked like trouble brewing when suddenly a rival dual sport gang led by a character known as "Swampy" wheeled in from the other side of the station. :eek1 Our fearless leader backed up by Jack Daniel (now that sounds like a double entendre, no?) cooled the situation.

[​IMG]

Between the fog and moisture at the start followed immediately by the dust and grit, I didn't even pull the camera back out until the ferry ride. Here's knybanjo.
    [​IMG]

And Evilone.
    [​IMG]

And last but not least Jack Daniel with Redfish Guide and Bob almost out of frame to either side.
    [​IMG]

After that, I repeatedly forgot to put my camera on its lanyard so I could shoot without dropping it off the bike. But lunch in Salt Springs was great as usual. The rest of the afternoon riding was great, although challenging in sections - anyone got that picture of the F 650 sand-napping?

The only place I'm sore this morning is in my lower legs from the whoops and all the steering with weight on the pegs. After the arm pump I was getting late in the day from fighting the bike after I got a little tired, I figured that's where I would feel it.

Great bunch of riders got together for this one, and I had a blast! Thanks again to Bert and Bob and to everyone that made it out.

That's my slice of the report. Pile yours on, guys.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:lurk
  3. yz2klr

yz2klr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my piece.
    My day started at 0430 Saturday, did the breakfast coffee thing before I left the house. Good thing I did too. I had just adjusted my chain after doing my valves last week and was thinking I may have adjusted it too tight. So I take a look and sur-enuff, it was. Would not have been good for my counter sprocket shaft bearings, especially with my 300+ lbs. slamming that swing arm up and down in the whoops. BTW, I was wondering, is that why they call them whoops, because you are whooped when you’re done?

Chain now adjusted and the clock says 0555; if I am going to make this thing I need to get scooting. I suit up and head out thinking I am OK because traffic will be light this time of day on 17 south, so I can make good time. Mother Nature had a different Idea. Leaving out of Jax I had some low clouds, but the moon was shining through. I'm thinking good, the fog did not make it to the ground. Within 6 miles, I quickly learned that was not the case. As soon as I hit <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Clay</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>County</st1:placeName></st1:place> I hit the fog and it was solid all the way to <st1:City><st1:place>De Land</st1:place></st1:City>. Visibility was down to 200-500 at best. Of course that slowed me down considerably.
    I arrived just in time for Bert&#8217;s pre ride brief and we headed out.
    Here are my pics.
    A little break action after a run though sugar sand
    [​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Off we go again
    <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Crossing the St. John's River
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mark trying to wake up his F650
    [​IMG]
    Up and and at 'em! He says.
    [​IMG]
    Waiting to hit it again
    [​IMG]
    Giving the salute
    [​IMG]
    Another ADV rider saluted me while they were south bound on 17 me headed north; If you are out there, I saw ya, but was not quick enough to respond in kind. So here you go. :ken

I logged 364 miles yesterday. Just taking it easy today.:jkam

Bert I thank you for a well thought out ride.:clap It had good flow all day. Thanks goes out to all that helped as well. I truely had a blast. My Mountain Biking buddy is not too happy with me becuase I backed out of our scheduled ride today. What can I say. I am whooped.
  4. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Great report and pics, thanks for sharing..........
  5. mark1305

Oddometer:
    I can't see any pics in yz2klr's post.... Is it just my computer??? (It does weird stuff sometimes, like will show some pics and not others).
  6. yz2klr

yz2klr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know. Let me try doing a quote to my post and see if they show. I can see them OK. Anyone else?
  7. yz2klr

yz2klr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are they here Now?
  8. 8Superman

8Superman Shut up and RIDE!!

Oddometer:
  9. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider

Oddometer:
    I can see all of them. Nice pics, looks like yall had a good ride. I was out cruising the pavement. I will try to throw some sort of report together. :D

YZ2klr, you missed the Scrub man, you OK? :lol3
  10. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    The 1<SUP>st</SUP> thing I want to say is the mouse pad on Compaq laptops really suck eggs. This will be my 4<SUP>th</SUP> time trying this. Each of the other three times have ended with the electronic goat eating my potential post.
    2<SUP>nd</SUP> thing&#8230; I want to let everyone reading this know that we didn&#8217;t
    spend all day riding sugar sand. I just didn&#8217;t let these slackers have a chance to get to their cameras out until we&#8217;d take a break after these tougher sections.
    Really, these were a great bunch of guys. It&#8217;s hard to plan a route that makes everyone happy&#8230;.especially not knowing what skills or bikes they&#8217;d be bringing to the event.
    I think everyone had a great time. We had 17 riders in all. From a dirt farkled XR650 to a Canadian katoom 950 with KLR 650s, DR 650s and GS 650s filling the spots between.
    A big thanks also goes out to my wingman Bob Mehl. He ran sweep on this and most of our rides. I felt a little like a cowboy on a cattle drive, but we stayed together well and Bob kept everyone in line from the back of the pack.
    So onto the ride.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Annual Daytona Adventure ride report:
    I pulled into the parking lot of the Huddle House and was surprised to find that it was already full of ADVers waiting for an adventure.

[​IMG]
    We filled our bellies and headed West towards Paisley Florida.
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Just East of Paisley we hopped off into the woods and headed out to explore the Ocala National Forest.
    The first water crossing was narrow and easy to cross. The next one would require a ferry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Over the hills and through the woods the Salt Springs we would run. We were able to find some great examples of the real Florida.
    [​IMG]

Stopping to collect everyone up.
    [​IMG]

Finally made it to the ferry. I&#8217;ll tell you..this ferry was packed once we all loaded on. The captain said he&#8217;d put 27 on the day before. I don&#8217;t know where they put them. They must have stayed seated on the bikes.

[​IMG]
    Lunch at last. You know how this goes. Order, wait for your food and try to tell a bigger lie than your fellow ADVer. You can tell each person is lying because you can see their lips moving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A man on a mission

[​IMG]

Once we again filled our bellies we hit the pavement, then the dirt, then a little more pavement before testing our sand skills for the last time.
    Again, I had a great time and hope each of you did as well. Look forward to hooking up again for another ride.
    Bert
  11. mark1305

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

That's bizarre - I rebooted the 'puter, and still cant't see them in the first post or the quote. Just big blank spaces. I seem to see all other pics everywhere fine, just not those. Like I said, this has happened before to just select pics on certain forums.

I'll play with it some more in the morning and see if I can figure it out.

Edit: Crap! Bert just posted his while I was typing this and I can't see his either.
  12. yz2klr

yz2klr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm Ok. Honey Do's been getting the better of me lately. I can't get much done during the week, so I have to get them done on the week end. I'll tell you man, this was a great ride and I am still whooped.:knary
  13. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Bert! Here are a few of my pictures:

Its tough snapping pictures on the run, and here`s one I took on the fly:
    [​IMG]
    Bert leads the way down a twisty road:
    [​IMG]
    And one on the Ferry:
    [​IMG]
    Joeker somehow got his bike dusty and desperatly wanted it washed, so he employed a couple of friendly bike washers on the way back to the campsite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next, it was on to the bike show at the Daytona Speedway and see the sights and test ride some of the bikes.
    First one I rode was a big 6 speed Victory. A REALLY nice bike.
    [​IMG]
    It was time to sign-up for my AMA membership and this fella gave me a bunch of free stuff. Free stuff is good!
    [​IMG]
    That night, we got in a tremendous traffic jam in downtown Daytona.
    [​IMG]
    It was my first time at the Daytona bike week gathering, and I want to thank Bert and his assistant for putting the icing on the cake with that great ride!
    Tony from Cantonment Florida
  14. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
  15. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Might as well post a few more from my Daytona weekend.

This New KLR was calling my name.

[​IMG]

And so was this one

[​IMG]

And the Aprilla V

[​IMG]

And the SuMo Duc

[​IMG]

And the....No Not this one.

[​IMG]
  16. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Hey,
    I enjoyed the ride!! :ricky am still impressed how well the group stayed together:thumb most of my pics would be dupes of what's already up, but here's a couple of my faves.....
    The Legendary Jack Daniel as the "boat" casts off!
    [​IMG]
    I just happened to be right behind Mark when his Bimmer decided it needed a nap.
    [​IMG]
    everyone making the sand look easy:ricky
    [​IMG]
  17. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    So okay guys help an old man out. The names marked in Yellow are the guys that came. Can you help me fill in the missing names? And did I leave anyone out in yellow on this list?
    Bert

Next time out it's Tee shirts, event stickers and all out of state riders get a sand badge. Include your screen name (if not listed) so I can put the name and face together.
    Bert

1. Gus, kr4je@bellsouth.net Columbia SC
    2. mark13051-at-earthlink.net Merrit Island Fl.
    3. Jeff S. sneyeper@revahs.com Franklin WV
    4. Mark; atcjeep@bellsouth.net Jax. Fl.
    5. Kevin KNYBanjo Clover SC
    6. EvilOne Western NC
    7. r.boyce@rogers.com Canada
    8. Jack Brown redfishguide@earthlink.net Beaufort SC
    9. Bob Mehl Clearwater Fl
    10 Bert Groveland Fl
    11. MoBeer Daytona Fl

12. TAS ?? Port St Lucie Fl
    13. JayDee The Swamp Fl.
    14. Jack Daniels Weeki Wachee, FL
    15. Duke Ryder http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeryder/ New Orleans
    16. John 10:10 Apopka Fl
    17. J. Brown brownj10@cfl.rr.com
    18. Werner werner.zorman@nokia.com Austria
  18. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    :wave
  19. yz2klr

yz2klr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just added my screen name
  20. mark1305

Oddometer:
    I think Werner was the other F 650, the white and black Dakar. I thought he was introducing himself as Bruno, but I may have misunderstood because of his slight accent. Screen name is "wzorro" from Orlando.