WR250R Should i buy?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DestinationOffroad, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DestinationOffroad

DestinationOffroad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright so im looking at ANOTHER bike, hopefully this one will be a winner. Guy says he has only taken it down the street to hooters and back, 5,500 miles. "It has spent a couple nights outside, but usually is in the back of a toy hauler. Basically has been sitting for 3 or 4 months since i quit riding." Check out the pictures. What do you think? Chain looks a little rough, after sitting for awhile it'll probably need some oil. He says he rides it "2 or 3 times a month to the store " [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much? What year?
  3. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    Whoops thought i put that. 2009, saying can't go lower than $3900
  4. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like too much. If you go to cycletrader.com you can see examples of price vs. miles there. On this one, you might be replacing the chain and sprockets soon? I'd probably just do it as well for the gearing changes most seem to do, so that's a couple hundred. I wouldn't, but that's me. Plus, I'm willing to travel to pick one up.
  5. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    I would have to travel 2 hrs, but i cant find one for this price in FL at all. Thanks for the help.
  6. speedmaster

speedmaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems like everyone who buys one of those sells it a year later.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  7. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OH REALLY:huh
  8. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    That chain alone might turn me off the bike. Indicative of a lack of care/attention. Even if he washed it and didn't dry it off after last ride it shouldn't be that rusted. I guess it would depend on what else he said when I talked to him.

Bike might be fine. I have no idea on prices for these but if others are saying it's overpriced, I'd keep looking. Just my 2c.
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like a good deal to me. Has some nice parts too. Hopefully he has the stock muffler.

I wouldn't worry about the chain. It will need a new chainset within 3k miles anyway.

I paid the same for my 2008 in early 2011. It had only 1200 miles but sat for a very long time. I rode it for a few weeks and was disappointed. Then I had it serviced and it was suddenly a sweet motorcycle! even the clutch was smooth. Since then I farkled it for the long trail out west ($1500 more). She has about 10k miles now. She stumbled a bit with a fuel pump, but I got it fixed. Unfortunately I bought a spare pump in the interim for about $400! Oh well, I might need it...

But I have done the CDR, the Pony Trail, explored the GWT and much more. She has been a good steed for me. Couple hundred bucks one way or other is nothing. She owes me nothing. Get the bike! Do your rides! Life is too short.
    [​IMG]

Somewhere on Smokey Hollow Road in Southern Utah, maybe 50 miles from pavement. The road was a wash! :}
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    :scratch
  11. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    He is the original owner. :-)

Yeah that is turning me off of it, but he did do a fair amount of mods. 2 bros fuel programmer and slip on along with the obvious cosmetic mods. Im not sure if i could just change the sprocket and chain and it will be good. Says he changed the oil every 500 miles, comes with white front fender, o-rings washers and filers for an oil change, replaced some factory parts with carbon fiber stuff, did all the turn signals into LED, has the "12oclocklabs speedo healer which allows you to adjust the speedo for tire size and it will give you the max speed", doesn't ride it anymore because he started riding in a park with his grizzly 550, says chain didn't sound or feel bad and he always oiled it, he would feel comfortable with taking it on a two hour trip.

Thats pretty much everything he has said to me in a nutshell.
  12. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    On one level, how much harm can you cause to a very reliable bike in 5500 miles. I don't buy his statement that he's always oiled the chain, it wouldn't look like this if he did. Only you have spoken to him. Chain and sprockets is an easy change. If nothing else seems "fishy" maybe write it off as a one off if you're happy with the price.
  13. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    He has all the original parts he replaced, he is still on the OEM battery and chain.
  14. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    I'm a little scared of that question haha :D
  15. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Oh, and get some Michelin T63 tires for it when the time comes. I made 3 failed attempts to ride a 13 mile sand wash called Camp Creek north of Scottsdale. I tried from both ends. After pondering I slapped on those T63's and rode it easily on the first attempt. Mind you, I am not a skilled rider. Just an old hack. :D

Get that bike. It only broke in maybe 1500 miles ago. I promise!
  16. Hetzel88

Hetzel88 cycles is a mean toy

Oddometer:
    That bike looks fine to me. Just needs a little maintenance. I bought an '08 used in June of 2011 with 6000 miles for 3 grand. Price seems a little high but only you can decide if it is. I still love mine and have no plans to get rid of it. Good luck.
  17. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    I see slight signs of rust on the frame, footpeg studs, linkage bolts also. Maybe it's just a Florida thing?

For sure, I'd make sure the cost of new chain and sprockets is factored into the offer price.
  18. amtz.zero

amtz.zero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

The tires look like the OEM ones too.
  19. Pantah

Oddometer:
    You can't be serious. I take excellent care of my motorcycles, but my dual sport bikes show the scuffs from the long trail. Even my newest at only 4k miles.

Contrasting your concerns, take a look at the billet parts! Footpegs? Axle sliders? This owner may have power washed the bike, but he didn't abuse it on the trail.

It is a good find under most scenarios, and like all searches, it's a matter of choices available. My WR chain and sprockets are totally shot at 10k. When I fly in to ride that thing late February, it will need a chainset and rear tire. That is about $250 and I have to take the time to do the work. That is the deal :deal

...Why split penny's?

:eek1
  20. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    What does this have to do with anything? This one looks pretty shot at 5k.

If someone told me that he regularly oiled the chain and it looked like that, I'd be calling BS. Like I said earlier If nothing else seems "fishy" maybe write it off as a one off if you're happy with the price.

Fair enough for you?