Wunderlich handlebar adjuster levers.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Voz, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of these on my GSW.

Wunderlich Handlebar Quick-Adjust PN 8160111

I find that they are almost useless as the handlebar is grabbed or pinched by the top bracket and thus I can not turn them even with the Wunderlichs loosened.

Do people end up filing the top bracket to reduce it's clamping effect on the handlebars or would this be a mistake?

The other issue is that I bought the 65 mm long version as I have a Rox 1 1/2 inch / 38 mm riser. Even with the 65mm levers. I can still only get about 5 turns into the thread.

There is also a loose thin spacer/washer on the lever shaft that easily come off and falls into your engine bay when removing or fitting, I have permanently lost one and had to machine another unit, ughhh.

But my main question is, should I file the top bracket to get the bars to spin more freely when loosened?
  2. ACD

ACD old nOOb

Oddometer:
    I have the quick adjusters on my 2011 GSA, with Rox risers. I have replaced the top two screws with the quick adjusters. No problem whatsoever adjusting the bars, just loosen the adjusters, reposition the bars, screw it back. Don't understand how the top bracket can hold the bars once you unscrew the adjuster. A picture may help,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. johnny80s

johnny80s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks LP!
  5. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being cheap at times I couldn't see splurging for something expensive that replaces a tool I already own (and probably got for next to nothing, too :deal).

I put a spare allen wrench that matches my after market risers in my handlebar bag. Yeah, it takes me an extra 15-30 seconds to fetch the tool and return it after use. I can live with that pain. :lol2

[​IMG]
  6. DFWBo

DFWBo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :beer
  8. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    What handlebar bag is that?
  9. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine work perfectly on my GSW ... with or without extenders (just need the longer version with the extenders).
  10. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I tighten the handlebars, the top part of the bracket attaches itself to the bars, it is like it is pinched on. The Rox 38mm riser also does the same, I have to hit both the top bracket and the riser to break their grip on the bars. It does not matter how much I loosen of all 4 bolts, the top piece of the bracket is gripped onto the handlebar, making it inpossible to move. Eventually I am able to get the bar to drop but when pulling back up again the top bracket starts to dig into the handlebar limiting the upward movement.

I am seriously thinking about taking a file to the top bracket, anyone think there will be aby problem with this?
  11. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have filed both the top bracket and the Rox Riser. The problem is 100% resolved. Both surfaces were just too tight and gripped the bar even when loose leading to the top clamp and riser tearing into the alloy of the bar.

My handle bars now look like shit where the top clamp and riser have tore aluminium out of them, oh well, wish I had done this from day 1.
  12. marchyman

Oddometer:
    Wunderlich bag. Image shows bag attached to bars that are up and back using Wunderlich risers.

[​IMG]
  13. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    I alao have the same bag, but an older version. I have it mounted the other wary round. Does yours also pop open occasionally?
  14. Velocifer

Velocifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine are terrific on my '07GS. Flawless. I actually removed my Rox risers after installing the levers.
  15. marchyman

Oddometer:
    Not yet. Only 4 months old, though.
  16. ACD

ACD old nOOb

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you solved the problem. I would fear removing too much material and not getting a firm grip, but I guess you tried little by little to get it right. Mine worked out of box. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk