Where are the best natural beauty in America?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by franki, May 2, 2011.

1. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I won't miss out on Hoover Dam:D
  2. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Yes, but there are many places where you can easily access the trail for a short hike, usually ripe with picture taking opportunities.
  3. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The AT is for hikers BUT ... runs up/down the entire eastern US mountain system thru some of the best riding roads and scenery anywhere.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The AT is for hikers as stated but the Blue Ridge Parkway is a linear national park in the same vicinity with astounding scenery from the road:if the fog allows!
    While I don't mean to "dis" Nova Scotia, it is a really neat place, I would stick to Maine to save time as for my wife & I we found it much the same seascapes but at the expense of time & $ to get there. So, NS is really neat but Maine is very similar and easier to get to. Other than the seascapes in Maine , I'd stay away from the east coast completely!!! for bike rides its the eastern USA not the eastern coast.Unless you want to be mired in traffic. NYC, DC, etc., are best done -not from a bike!
    Another idea for eastern riding: go to the BMWMOA Forum online. Read recent posts from "Osbornk". He lives in VA and has made some comments on great riding roads there and how to access the routes.He is involved with local people in promoting bike tourism to those roads.
    You can also look at the rally schedule listed there for this summer & take in some "culture" via that bike crowd. Also the national BMWMOA rally is in PA near the time you will be traveling and the RA rally is in WI right before then. Both rallies will have rides listed for there areas and riders to go with for direction help,etc.. Forget about the brand thing , all brands can attend. There are other rallies around the USA all summer but you will find the emphasis for the ones I'm mentioning to be riding even more than beer garden activities.This said not to start any issues but only to give you some ideas.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  6. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Thanks for explaining that to me. I shall try to get close to the trail by bike and hike to see the best view.:D
  7. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Good point there.
    I shall visit the BMWMOA site and check things out. I do want to report back to my countrymen about the US motorcycle culture:lol3 Besides, I might bump into some of you ADV Riders too.:freaky
  8. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
  9. The Contractor

The Contractor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you've already done the west coast then fly to the east coast and ride west.

If I were going to do it that way I'd find out when leaves start to turn colors in Maine (http://www.great-maine-vacations.com/image-files/mountain-maine-fog-panorama.jpg from http://www.great-maine-vacations.com/activities-and-events-in-maine-september-2010.html) , and start there. Then i'd head south through Vermont (http://www.activejunky.com/blog/fall-foliage-colors-country/) into up-state New York (http://www.bigdamnband.com/fall-color-bass-fishin-and-a-fisheye-lens) and down in to the Pennsylvania Dutch Country (http://www.pavacationrental.com/Pennsylvania-Sight-Seeing-Pennsylvania-Dutch.htm). After that there are just an incredible number of options, partially depending on the weather--you could head back up into Canada around the Great Lakes, or across the southern part of the Great Lakes and into Chicago, or head south along the Appalachians and hit Deals Gap (Easterns think this is the best motorcycle road going. That's because they've never ridden in Northern Calfornia or Oregon.)

Since you express a dislike of flat boring roads, I'd suggest that on your way back west you work you way down along the gulf coast for a bit, then wander west on (or off of) I-20 through Texas (this takes you through Pecos) to I-10, taking your time to investigate a lot of the side roads, especially in the desert. I-10 is boring, but it's fast. You should be able to get across Texas in 1 day (it's close to 1400k from one side to the other), but there IS some interesting stuff to see there if you're not from there, it's not freezing f'ing cold and you don't NEED to make time. The same is true of any crossing, but in the Fall the lower route is going to be warmer.

If you had the time and wanted to do the tourist thing, instead of going across Texas on 20 you could work your way up to St. Louis, Missouri, visit the Arch, then take Route 66/Highway 44 into Oklahoma, then take 40 west. This takes you to Albuquerque (elevation 7000 ft/2000 meters). From there you can check the weather, and either head north into Colorado, passing by the Trinity site, or you can keep heading west into Arizona where you can spend a couple days at the Grand Canyon (I have a couple relatives working there this summer) The riding in that area looks like it would be incredible, if you didn't have to make time on the interstates.

If the weather is nice you could take some of the secondary roads up into Utah and then work west over to Hwy 395. You might have to dip back down into sothern California to avoid snow in the Sierras, but if there is I'd recommend renting a 4 wheeled vehicle of some kind and visiting Lake Tahoe. Otherwise take 395 up as far north as you can. If you're lucky you'll get into Susanville, then take 36 over to I-5 and up to Mt. Shasta. The big lake there is man made, and you can (at least 5 years ago you could) take a tour of the dam. It's a very interesting feeling being surrounded by that much concrete. With that much water trying to break it.

After that there is a *great* road out to the coast from Redding--Hwy 299. I was scraping the centerstand on my Tiger (admittedly my wife was riding pillion). It was *outstanding*.

From there you can go south into the Redwood Forests, or head north into Oregon and Washington.

I'd recommend ending your trip in the Bay Area--you could get good money for you bike there, and there's a couple places that might be willing to take the bike on consignment.

Damn that sounds like fun.
  10. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    Fuck KaliPhornia :lol3

Oregon
    Central Washington State (Fuck Seattle :lol3)
    Idaho
    Western Montana
    Wyoming
    Western South Dakota

Appalachian Mountain range
  11. Nickywind

Nickywind CurbJumper

Oddometer:
    I've lived all over the country, and the west coast is my fav. I'm particularly partial to Washington State - we have everything here - rainforest, mountains, sand dunes, and lots of used KLRs for sale:D! I also second the previous suggestion for Hwy 101 - I rode that all the way south to CA to see the redwoods as my first long distance ride. The scenery was amazing!:eek1
    Any way you go though, you're bound to see some amazing stuff - just stay off the interstates!
    Best of luck to you on your journey!
  12. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Appalachia, head west thru northern Alabama/Georgia/Miss./Kent/Tenn and cross the Miss. River around Memphis - take a ferry across. Then thru southern MO and northern Ark to SE Oklahoma.
  13. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Wow, thank you so much for the route plan. It sounds really great. My starting point depends on where the bike is. At this moment, it looks more like starting from Reno. I am copying all the suggestions down and pull them out as and when I need them on the road.:deal
  14. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

I like your short road book:rofl
  15. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Thank you. I shall only get onto the interstates when I am in a hurry:D
  16. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Hmmmm...............I shall dig out my old AAA map and check on the places you mentioned. :lol3
  17. jigdog

jigdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Utah is cant miss must see stuff.
  18. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd vote Colorado Rockies for first place, Utah canyons and grand canyon second and everything else a rather distant third.

You might as well skip everything east of the Mississippi - there are some pretty spots, but it really pales in comparison to what's out west. The Appalachians, blue ridge/smoke mountains etc are all nice, for the east coast, but they are really pretty pitiful compared to the mountains out west (and this from an east-coast guy). I've ridden most of the CONUS and the east frankly just sucks compared to the west - the scenery isn't as good, much more heavily populated, people aren't as nice, speed enforcement is much more serious etc.
  19. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Any evidence?:deal
  20. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:

Please excuse me as I am a foreigner, what is CONUS?:lol3