Great Lakes 100 Challenge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RydinFool, Jun 11, 2012.

1. RydinFool

RydinFool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just submitted my documentation to the Iron Butt Association for a successful :clap(imho) Great Lakes 100. The idea is to ride around the Great Lakes in less than 100 hours. The details for anyone who may be interested are on the IBA website. I did the ride in 85 hours and 59 minutes. It was more of a scouting mission for another trip, with some buddies at a much more relaxed pace. Although for me riding like that is very relaxing. My work sometimes can be stressful, so a ride where no one can call or place demands on me is a great way to get recharged.

If anyone is interested, I can tell you Canada is a beautiful place to ride. People are friendly, roads nice and plenty of sights to see. The area around Thunder Bay is truly beautiful, but so is Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, but that's another ride.

Day One was from Potsdam, NY to Thunder Bay, Ontario. My start point was Canton, NY, but I live in Potsdam. That was my longest day and there was a reason for it. As I mentioned Canada is beautiful. You rarely get stuck behind any vehicles as there are passing lanes intermittently set up all along the route. Passing isn't hard, many Canadian drivers pull over to let you by, unlike here in the States where it often turns into a drag race.

Day Two was from Thunder Bay to a little town in Indiana, Laporte. No specific reason for Laporte, I was just tired. A funny thing did happen as I passed through Chicago. You need to get a gas receipt from or near Chicago as part of the rules. Anyway, I missed an exit. No problem, GPS solved it almost immediately. I did discover GPS has no clue about NEIGHBORHOODS. I found myself in a neighborhood I had the distinct feeling I shouldn't be in. And it wasn't a gated community. Anyway, I did get back on the right road and made it to Laporte.

Day Three was to Wooster, OH. I hung out all day with an old buddy I was in the Marines with forty years ago. We spent the day together and it just doesn't seem possible forty years have gone by, but they certainly have. Anyway the day with Gary and his family was the reason I pushed it on Day One and Two.

Day Four was back to Canton and ultimately Potsdam.

You have a lot of time to think when you ride like this and it's hard to explain, even to other motorcyclists. But, it was a great ride and as noted set the stage for a more relaxed ride with some buds.

I don't have a lot of tips on approaching a ride like this. The Iron Butt Site has a lot of helpful information. You really don't need to speed or be foolish (well maybe foolish:D) to do this.

Folks have asked me if I do these rides with others. The answer for me is no. Sometimes (I feel) when people set common goals they take risks or push to hard because they don't want to let their partner down. I eliminate that by going by myself.

This was also a "building block" for other rides in the future. I would like to do the Coast to Coast in 50 and the Border to Border rides. I started with a Saddlesore 1000 a few years ago, and then did a BunBurner 1500 last year, so this was the next step for me.

I've done these rides on three different motorcycles. A Harley Davidson Electra Glide, a Suzuki Wee Strom and an Honda ST 1300. I didn't submit my paperwork for the Wee but it was an extremely efficient bike. The Wee is worth mentioning because it is very affordable and a do everything bike. I still have it and love it. I rode the ST for this ride, because I thought the 7.7 gallon gas tank would be a benefit. And it was.

Thanks for reading.

Once my ride is approved, I'll add an update.

Thanks again.
  2. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a cool ride - and a cool part of the country to tour - except Chicago. I never like riding there - even in the nice neighborhoods!