ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. timedpolaris

timedpolaris Tim

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the dealer show in St Paul and the new 500 is awesome! It has all the "controllable" power you could ever want and is very light! Runs, rides, & tracks awesome!

Attached Files:

2. timedpolaris

timedpolaris Tim

Oddometer:
    2012 KTM 500 EXC Street Legal

Enough is never enough for all those who are forever seeking a little bit more, KTM has created the 500 EXC. Perfectly controllable power in extravagant proportions, low weight and an unsurpassed chassis characterise an enduro of remarkable versatility: a sensational fighting machine and absolutely reliable workhorse rolled into one, the indisputable benchmark in terms of weight and rideability. At any rate, there's no way to avoid to 500 EXC on the path to the podium in the E3 class.

NEW ENGINE
    With the 500 EXC's newly developed engine, KTM engineers have created a new dimension: The power unit has been redesigned from scratch and is now more compact, lighter and more powerful than before. Reduced reciprocating weight and a balancer shaft minimise vibration.

NEW SILENCER
    The 500 EXC's new, improved silencer not only offers greater volume and a new design, it also reduces noise levels to the stricter standards of the future.

NEW CYLINDER HEAD
    All ports and the combustion chamber have been redesigned in the OHC cylinder head of the 500 EXC's new engine. The new camshaft actuates four valves via lightweight rocker arms. High-quality titanium valves are used on the intake side. As before, the cylinder head cover mounted at an angle simplifies service work.

NEW CYLINDER AND PISTON
    The 500 EXC's cylinder has been further developed especially for the new engine configuration. The new, 15 % lighter forged piston minimises reciprocating weight and optimises durability at high engine speeds. New, nitrided piston rings ensure highest levels of resistance to wear.

NEW CRANKSHAFT
    When designing the new crankshaft on the 450 EXC, KTM engineers focussed on reducing the reciprocating weight. Thanks to the new, lighter connecting rod and the new, lighter piston, they managed to achieve minimum vibration, while maximising engine-speed strength.

NEW ENGINE CASE
    The 500 EXC's new engine case weighs almost 2 kg (4 lb.) less than its predecessor, although it offers better resistance to damage due to stone impact or falls. This has been achieved by using a high-strength, elastic aluminium alloy and changing from sand-casting to die-casting.

NEW BALANCER SHAFT
    The 500 EXC's new, more compact balancer shaft not only eliminates vibration, but also serves as the drive for the water pump. This intelligent multi-functionality contributes to the compactness and low weight of the 500 EXC's new engine.

NEW OIL CIRCUIT
    The 500 EXC's new engine is equipped with a common oil circuit for engine and transmission, and two oil pumps. A pressure pump lubricates the engine, while a suction pump draws oil from the crankcase, using it to lubricate the transmission and the clutch. At the same time and in conjunction with a steel diaphragm, negative pressure arises in the casing, which boosts the engine power.

NEW EFI/EMS
    The newly developed Keihin engine management system with electronic fuel injection ensures spontaneous responsiveness from the engine. Various engine characteristics can be activated with an optional map select switch.

NEW CLUTCH
    The 500 EXC's newly developed clutch, with a robust steel cage and transmission-friendly back-damping, makes use of a spring washer for the first time instead of the customary conical springs, hence substantially reducing the operating force. The hydraulic actuation mechanism from Brembo® facilitates sensitive modulation of the clutch.

NEW FRAME
    The completely revamped frame made from high-quality chrome-molybdenum steel is characterised by even greater lateral stiffness. Furthermore, it is even better at absorbing jolts introduced by the suspension system, whereby the simple handling and comfort of the 500 EXC have been further optimised.

NEW SWINGARM, NEW PDS, NEW SETTING
    The 450 EXC's new, lighter, cast aluminium swingarm accommodates the shock absorber more centrally, in order to load the swing arms more evenly. The new, 7 mm (0.28 in) longer PDS shock absorber with adjustable rebound and high/low-speed compression damping, and a new setting is installed more flatly, so providing even more progression.

TELESCOPIC FORK, NEW SETTING
    The 500 EXC is equipped with the latest WP upside-down fork with wider adjustment ranges and a new setting. The sensitive responsiveness and outstanding damping of the open-cartridge fork with 48 mm (1.89 in) outer tubes are a perfect complement for the 500 EXC's simple handling and precision.

NEW WHEELS
    Practically unbeatable in terms of weight and stability, the new wheels have CNC-machined hubs, Excel rims, zinc/nickel-coated spokes and aluminium nipples. They reduce the unsprung and gyroscopic masses, hence bolstering the simple handling of the 500 EXC.

BODYWORK
    The 500 EXC's new bodywork with the very slim seat and spoiler lines, plus excellent contact points, perfects the bike's ergonomics, making handling even simpler and more precise. The longer rear fender protects the rider even more effectively from swirled up stones.
  3. RedlegDaddy

RedlegDaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim,

Great to see you on here! Do you have any info on when they should hit the dealer showroom here in the US?

Thanks,
    Jim
  4. deminimis

deminimis I Eat Glue

Oddometer:
  5. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
  6. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    Anyone heard how much oil the new exc motors hold with the single sump arrangement? Hope these new motors are tight....
  7. gmtcm

gmtcm KTM RIDER

Oddometer:
    This is right out of the Owners Manual for the XCF-W. It holds 1.6 Quarts or 1.5 Liters. of 10W/50
  8. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. campfire

campfire Adventurer

Oddometer:

To much new,, I;ll pass..EFI, it will leave me stranded, no doubt.. I'm very hard on my offroad bikes..Don't trust it if I can't fix it..
  10. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Very nice to hear. Thats 50% more than the old RFS motors.
  11. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the same as the current 450/530 when both quantities are combined.
  12. SirJono_777

SirJono_777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not quite, the RFS motors hold 1.2 liters.. So its only 0.3 of a liter more. Still more is good :clap
  13. Swede

Swede n00b

Oddometer:
    :wings Picked her up yesterday. Mounting blinkers and stuff tonight, tomorrow is testingday!

IMAG00861.jpg
  14. touser

touser canned fruit

Oddometer:
    Hubba Hubba :eek1
  15. gmtcm

gmtcm KTM RIDER

Oddometer:
    Please let us know about your first ride impressions
  16. blowout

blowout Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks after all like I'm going to skip over the 530 series completely for my next purchase!
  18. axehead

axehead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the partial hi-jack but I just got my 2012 350 EXC-F.

I got a hard copy of the owners manual, and I know there is a soft copy here: http://www.ktm.com/enduro/350-exc-f-eu/downloads.html

But what about a parts manual, with the expoded diagrams and part numbers? I want to be able to print one out instead of referring to an online fiche all the time.

Anyone know where to find one?

Thanks.

PS - I thought a photo might increase my chance of an answer:

[​IMG]
  19. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    There is a youtube video of an introduction for the 2012 models (it's almost an hour long if you're looking for it). They mention in the video at one point that the clutch is backward compatible with the XC-F's to 2007. It would be interesting to see if anything else might be backward compatible with the XC-W/EXC's -especially the cam chain tensioner! :evil
  20. Super Enduro R

Super Enduro R Been here awhile

Oddometer: