The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Well it was time. My sprocket chain combo is over 6 years old and was so bad I had to dig in to the crank case yesterday. I put it off as long as I could knowing what a PIA it was going to be - no shortage of rust on this beach bike. Is that the hardest counter shaft in the world to get to? Glad I had the skills to destroy every single screw - not a single one came directly out. Even left a custom shaft in 2 where I removed jus the head?? Most I could drill a pilot hole and use an extraction tool the others I cut a notch and used a flat head. Then there were the 2 that just lost their heads :evil.

Looks like a 14/45 combo but curious about a combo that would give me more top end. It's a street only TW and the only hills it I ride are the 2 bridges going over to the beach. Any suggestions to increase my sweet spot from 45 to 55?

I am obviously going to have to replace the cc gasket and screws. Any other suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    1998, 15,000 miles
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went down 2 teeth on the back sprocket, and installed an O ring chain, and it seemed good every place I rode the bike, street, swamp, thick sand.
  3. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    So what is your final raito? 14/43?
  4. FootDoc

FootDoc Gas it

Oddometer:
    I run a 14/42 on my mostly street TW. Im 225 and it has no problems hauling me up to highway speed, even 2 up. Big hills and strong headwinds make the bike struggle, but ill take the trade off for the relaxed cruising RPM. My top speed is @75 on a level road, so its not going to give you more MPH. Going over the causeways in your area shouldn't be an issue.

[​IMG]
  5. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get new retainers and bolts for the sprockets, and replace the stator screws with something better while you're in there. They get stuck as well. Countershaft seals would definitely be good to replace, maybe the shifter seal as well.
  6. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I settled on 14/43 combo, new chain, replacement screws all around, and a gasket. Should come in under $100.
    After soaking with liquid wrench for 2 days I removed the last two screws or what was left of em :evil.

Shit pix but here is the counter and the boogered up hardware as well as the extraction bit.
    [​IMG]
    Yea a few short (missing) and a few odd ball allens - you can see the dissimilar material gunk build up on em.
  7. Small's

Small's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to count your rear sprocket teeth. The factory 50tooth has a 45 stamped on it. Not sure what for. I personally think a 15/47-14/44 or a 14/45 would be as low as i would go. I ran 15/47 on a 1600mile road trip and it was nice as long as there wasnt a head wind. It was ok because you could still pull 55-60 in fourth. A buddy of mine bought a 05 with a 14/40 and it would run 71-72mph in fourth ten when you shifted to 5th it would drop to 68. Not enough power for that tall of a gear.
  8. Small's

Small's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two TW's tackle Moab. Top of the World! In my opinion the best view of Moab.
    [​IMG]
    simbaboy and SpeedyTide like this.
  9. Kwizard

Kwizard Conservative

Oddometer:
    Hey Smalls,
    Any idea where that 40T sprocket came from? The smallest I can find is a 42.
    Thanks
  10. tdbmd

tdbmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently came across a 2003 TW for sale with 682 miles and they are asking $2600. Is that a reasonable price for a low mileage '03? Any kind of problem with the '03 model that a guy should be on the lookout for if purchasing a used one? Thanks.
  11. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:

That's about par for the course. With that age, consider rubber bits being dried out, chain/sprockets, carb cleaning, and a battery. But, that all depends on the owner.
  12. tdbmd

tdbmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. The photos look good, consistent with the low mileage, but I have learned that they can be deceiving for sure! The bike is a couple of hundred miles from here and wanted to see if there were any specifics before making a road trip!
  13. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    tdbmd.....if you do purchase the TW.....your going to have alot of fun!.
  14. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say nitpick and chip off a few hundred bucks if you can get a look at it.
  15. Small's

Small's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Base gaskets are a know issue but i wouldnt worry about it unless its leaking. Im not sure what brand the 40 tooth sprocket is? I will see if he still has it.
  16. tdbmd

tdbmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a BW200 for a couple of years and it was fun but had gotten a little temperamental in that it didn't always want to start or run smooth, so I sold it to someone who really wanted it. I miss having the bike to jump on to run and check on stuff and such. Bigger hassle to take a truck or the Ranger than just hope on a bike. Thanks for the info.
  17. Kwizard

Kwizard Conservative

Oddometer:
    There is a ratio calculator somewhere over on the TW200forum.com, and gives speed and or RPM. I have an '03 with about 3K miles, and zero issues. Put synthetic oil in it, and it shifts better. I use Castrol racing 4T.
    😀Thank's Small's; that would be great. I don't really need to know the brand; but the model of bike it was intended for. I'm planning on going to the SCTA meet at El Mirage the middle of May, and I'm going to beat the pants👖 off that Australian land speed record of 74MPH🐌 for the TW200🏁🇺🇸.
  18. RingSteel

RingSteel n00b

Oddometer:
    That is an awesome pic! I'd love to take my TW there someday soon.
  19. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a type of clamp that is common on fuel lines and if equipped,coolant lines.They look like a regular piece of "wire",but at the contact point (where a tool would be used to unfasten the clamp) it has two round eyelets.If you know what I'm trying to describe?....what is the name of these clamps (I believe the Japaneese came out with them?).The reason I'm asking this is because I either have to invest in the special tool or hack the little bastards off and use a different type of clamp.....I can't stand the typeI I've described!. Thanks for listening.
  20. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They make hose clamp pliers but for most I use needle nose or lineman's pliers.
    [​IMG]

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CInDvrjozbYCFYyi4Aod3WoAYw

another flavor
    [​IMG]

http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsman-Cable-Operated-Hose-Clamp-Pliers-reviews

[​IMG]