Boise ride this weekend...

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by ryanwilliamcantrell, Oct 17, 2007.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope all is well with you too. Saw a photo of you from the Hell's Canyon gathering at the Tramway sign. I'd love to go to this event, but June is a hard to fit it in month with the other annual June riding event we do.

I'm planning a day ride to replace the flag up on East Mtn Lookout about 12 July. Trailering the TW to Smiths Ferry and leaving from there. If you ain't busy...

Why I can't make it to the Hell's Canyon gathering. Trade 2 wheels for 4 legs time
    [​IMG]
  2. Jason Abbott

Jason Abbott Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer:
    For some reason after I got the phone app to control it via WiFi it defaulted to 960x720 (can't remember which mode GoPro calls that) and I haven't bothered to switch it back to 1080p. I kind of like the more square aspect for sharing on forums like this.
  3. 3horsepack

3horsepack Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    http://www.ktvb.com/news/Fire-scarred-Trinity-Ridge-to-open-early-this-year-213201821.html
  5. Little Fauss

Little Fauss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    It wasn't as bad as I expected when I visited in the fall.
  7. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    You just have to change your perspective. A lot of beauty can be found in a burned forest, lots of wildflowers, green grass, the stark contrast of the black trees with the surroundings, especially with some snow. It benefits the wildlife with all of the reduce brush and trees allowing more usable plants to grow. Trees are really just huge weeds.
  8. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
  9. rockhopjohn

rockhopjohn I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer:
    Another great report, I always forget that you don't necessarily have to take off way into the backcountry to have a good overnighter. How do you like that camp chair? They seemed pretty pricey, but I read they were pretty stout and they look way more comfortable than a lot of the alternatives.
  10. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    I think it's great. It's a snap to setup, packs as small as the stool you see there (packed length may be a bit shorter, even) and is pretty comfy. My brother Joel was sold on it when we camped a few weeks ago. Happy to do a show-n-tell anytime. :D
  11. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, my wife wants to do a trip like this with our daughter and this helps me know I can plan our first one right near home. :D

Just got the ID licensing changed over for the off-highway bikes so we should be out for our first day ride on the 13th. Planing on heading out to the 8th st early morning. :clap

Any recommendations on how early is best? Still learning ID weather, traffic etc.
  12. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    It's been a little toasty..............some would even say it's been HOT.

<iframe width="480" height="380" src="http://www.guavaleaf.com/embed/1509a007b92118aee452" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. Little Fauss

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing, nice video to help teach.

The earlier the better for 8th St., watch for foot and bicycle traffic, have fun.
  14. Little Fauss

Oddometer:
    That was fun to watch. I really struggle with the parenting/teaching to ride/not wanting them to get hurt/discouraged and yet wanting them to enjoy all the things I love about riding. Looks like you are doing great.
  15. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    I haven't known that to be an issue. The little overnight ride with Hunter was actually as busy as I remember seeing it at the parking lot but we still only crossed paths with about six riders. Maybe others have different experiences.
  16. Little Fauss

Oddometer:
    I was actually thinking temperature wise, I am sure you are right about traffic as it has been a while since I have been up there unfortunately.
  17. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
  18. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    That looks like fun, I will have to put a Silver City ride on the list. :D
  19. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I'm going to ride some singletrack this weekend on Cuddy Mountain. If anyone is interested in a dirt bike ride let me know. Saturday or Sunday works for me.
  20. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    The trail photos in Google Earth look great. Where is the trailhead? My wife is away this week (hence the ride report catch-up) so I'd have to find a sitter for my five-year-old. If I can work it out I'll let you know.